Charlie Cox is Marvel's New Daredevil

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Charlie Cox is Marvel's New Daredevil

The Boardwalk Empire star will play the blind superhero in Marvel's first Netflix series

Actor Charlie Cox, best known to fans of HBO's Boardwalk Empire as Owen Sleater, has landed the sought-after role of blind attorney Matt Murdock - secretly also the costumed vigilante Daredevil - in Marvel Studios' upcoming Netflix series.

Created by Stan Lee and Bill Everett in 1964, Daredevil uses his enhanced remaining senses (supercharged by the same chemical accident that took his sight) to fight crime by night while practicing law as Matt Murdock by day. At one point considered one of Marvel's second-tier characters, he was elevated to popularity in the 80s after an urban crime-thriller overhaul by writer Frank Miller; which introduced a darker tone and now-staple plot elements like ninja clans and the assassin Elektra.

The 13-episode series will be overseen by showrunner Steven DeKnight (taking over for the departing Drew Goddard [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134771-Marvels-Daredevil-Loses-Director-Showrunner]), and will eventually be accompanied by similar series based on Iron Fist, Luke Cage and Jessica Jones. The ultimate plan is for the leads of the four series to then meet up in a crossover miniseries event called The Defenders.

Source: THR [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/charlie-cox-set-as-marvel-707380]

Apr 17, 2009
I wonder, are they going to go with the old school swashbuckling Daredevil, or the more Frank Miller-y brooding one? What sort of character does the guy play on Boardwalk Empire?

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
I hope they go with more likeable and less brooding Mark Waid Daredevil.
Seriously, if you are a comic fan and you're not reading Mark Waid's run on Daredevil, do it, this comic is awesome.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
The main fact of interest in this article is missing, and that is the fact that DeKnight was behind Spartacus. I don't care who gets cast, I'll be checking it out thanks to that.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
RealRT said:
I hope they go with more likeable and less brooding Mark Waid Daredevil.
Seriously, if you are a comic fan and you're not reading Mark Waid's run on Daredevil, do it, this comic is awesome.
Awesome? Sure. I've heard it compared to the Marvel Now Hawkeye, and that's an apt comparison. "Awesome" barely covers it - I'd say it is essential. I love it.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
What always bothered me about Daredevil is how "selective" his super senses seem to be. The guy is able to hear a person's heart beating. Stop and thinking about that. The guy's ears are so sensitive that he's a walking polygraph due to being able to hear people's heart beat. How does a guy with that level of sensitivity exist in regular life? The scene in the movie where he knew it was about to rain because he could feel that the temperature had dropped a few degrees killed me. The guy is THAT sensitive to touch, taste, sound, and smell, yet he walks around New York City, arguably one of the loudest city's on the planet, as though he's blind to it all, as opposed to being so bombarded by everything that he's in painful agony by it all. Exhaust from cars. The stink of his own bowel movements, and the bowel movements of everyone around him. The rumble of engines. Police sirens. I thought it was a nice touch that the movie showed him sleeping in an isolation chamber, but as senstive as he is to touch, how does the guy even put on his socks without feeling sheer agony at the material dragging across his skin?

I know it's nit-picky, but the inconsistency always bothered me: "Oh...um...he learned how to tune it out." No, not with THAT insane level of sensitivity, he didn't. Can you imagine how much it must hurt him to be punched as a result of his heightened sense of touch? That's always at the forefront of my mind whenever I'm reading anything Daredevil related. At least with this show, him being a "street level guy," they may not run into the special effect issues that WBs Flash may have. I hope the production values are better than Agents of Shield though

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
tdylan said:
What always bothered me about Daredevil is how "selective" his super senses seem to be. The guy is able to hear a person's heart beating. Stop and thinking about that. The guy's ears are so sensitive that he's a walking polygraph due to being able to hear people's heart beat. How does a guy with that level of sensitivity exist in regular life?
He's had plenty of trouble with it in the comics. But yes, he did learn to tune it out. Do you know how much stimulus we tune out on a routine basis?

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
Pallindromemordnillap said:
I wonder, are they going to go with the old school swashbuckling Daredevil, or the more Frank Miller-y brooding one? What sort of character does the guy play on Boardwalk Empire?
The character he plays in Boardwalk Empire is suave and a bit of a ladies man, which belies the fact that he (the character) can also hold his own in a fight.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
tdylan said:
What always bothered me about Daredevil is how "selective" his super senses seem to be. The guy is able to hear a person's heart beating. Stop and thinking about that. The guy's ears are so sensitive that he's a walking polygraph due to being able to hear people's heart beat. How does a guy with that level of sensitivity exist in regular life? The scene in the movie where he knew it was about to rain because he could feel that the temperature had dropped a few degrees killed me. The guy is THAT sensitive to touch, taste, sound, and smell, yet he walks around New York City, arguably one of the loudest city's on the planet, as though he's blind to it all, as opposed to being so bombarded by everything that he's in painful agony by it all. Exhaust from cars. The stink of his own bowel movements, and the bowel movements of everyone around him. The rumble of engines. Police sirens. I thought it was a nice touch that the movie showed him sleeping in an isolation chamber, but as senstive as he is to touch, how does the guy even put on his socks without feeling sheer agony at the material dragging across his skin?

I know it's nit-picky, but the inconsistency always bothered me: "Oh...um...he learned how to tune it out." No, not with THAT insane level of sensitivity, he didn't. Can you imagine how much it must hurt him to be punched as a result of his heightened sense of touch? That's always at the forefront of my mind whenever I'm reading anything Daredevil related. At least with this show, him being a "street level guy," they may not run into the special effect issues that WBs Flash may have. I hope the production values are better than Agents of Shield though
So what you're saying is, Daredevil should have Autism? o_O

Nielas

Dec 5, 2011
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
Pallindromemordnillap said:
The character he plays in Boardwalk Empire is suave and a bit of a ladies man, which belies the fact that he (the character) can also hold his own in a fight.
To expand: Hi character in Empire was a a 1920s IRA bomber who moves to the US and becomes a gangster. The guy is very charming and has no problem seducing women. He also garroted a man to death in a bathroom. Still, on a show filled with murderers, he was portrayed more as a 'lovable rogue' type rather than a psychopath.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
tdylan said:
What always bothered me about Daredevil is how "selective" his super senses seem to be. The guy is able to hear a person's heart beating. Stop and thinking about that. The guy's ears are so sensitive that he's a walking polygraph due to being able to hear people's heart beat. How does a guy with that level of sensitivity exist in regular life?
He's had plenty of trouble with it in the comics. But yes, he did learn to tune it out. Do you know how much stimulus we tune out on a routine basis?
Yes, but we're not worrying about having to tune out the sound of someone's heart beating in the next room. We don't have sense so keen that not only does a fart from out next door neighbor sound like an explosion, but we can also smell and taste every molecule. We can tune out the repetitive background noises. But there is no background noise with Daredevil. everything is a new, explosive sounds, scent, and vibration. I mean, the guy feels the footsteps of people walking around him. Let's say that he's tuned out the sound of the people in the court room chewing gum, and listening to music on headphones (which he can hear clear as day), and tapping their feet, and talking. Then you have the people walking and arguing/celebrating in the other court rooms. The sounds of judges banging their gavels. None of that is repetitive, predictable background noise. Those are unique noises that come out of no where. His sense of sound alone must be like trying to carry on a conversation in a loud night club. Except he's so sensitive to everything that he should probably be in pain the entire time. The guy's so sensitive to touch that he can read ink on a piece of paper by feel. How the hell does he have sex without dying from the overload of pleasure?

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
13 episodes is the right length! It avoids filling the season with so much fluff and redundancy like in SHIELD and Arrow. It allows the writers and directors concentrate on what is important.

twosage

Oct 22, 2013
tdylan said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
tdylan said:
Yes, but we're not worrying about having to tune out the sound of someone's heart beating in the next room. We don't have sense so keen that not only does a fart from out next door neighbor sound like an explosion, but we can also smell and taste every molecule. We can tune out the repetitive background noises. But there is no background noise with Daredevil. everything is a new, explosive sounds, scent, and vibration. I mean, the guy feels the footsteps of people walking around him. Let's say that he's tuned out the sound of the people in the court room chewing gum, and listening to music on headphones (which he can hear clear as day), and tapping their feet, and talking. Then you have the people walking and arguing/celebrating in the other court rooms. The sounds of judges banging their gavels. None of that is repetitive, predictable background noise. Those are unique noises that come out of no where. His sense of sound alone must be like trying to carry on a conversation in a loud night club. Except he's so sensitive to everything that he should probably be in pain the entire time. The guy's so sensitive to touch that he can read ink on a piece of paper by feel. How the hell does he have sex without dying from the overload of pleasure?
Think about dogs or cats. They lie around sleeping in a world full of noises and smells, but then their owner's car drives into earshot or someone uses a can opener and they jump up all excited. Just because you can hear, smell, taste, feel so much in the world doesn't mean you have to be constantly plagued by it. You get used to it, for the most part, then a strange sensation you don't recognize or one you're familiar with seems to stick out. Having a conversation in a loud factory or a party isn't impossible. We're able to mostly concentrate on what we want to concentrate on through the magic of biology.

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
If he channels his Tristan Thorn character from Stardust, this could be a lot of fun.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
twosage said:
Think about dogs or cats. They lie around sleeping in a world full of noises and smells, but then their owner's car drives into earshot or someone uses a can opener and they jump up all excited. Just because you can hear, smell, taste, feel so much in the world doesn't mean you have to be constantly plagued by it. You get used to it, for the most part, then a strange sensation you don't recognize or one you're familiar with seems to stick out. Having a conversation in a loud factory or a party isn't impossible. We're able to mostly concentrate on what we want to concentrate on through the magic of biology.
I get that. I've worked in a factory, and yes, you can carry on conversations, but we had ear plugs in to keep from going deaf as a result of the noise from the machines. Daredevil should be dead from all the stimuli. I think of the scene in the movie when he's in the hospital, and the sound of the fluid in the IV bag dripping was thunderous. A few moments later, his dad is in the room and his perfectly fine, not being overwhelmed by all of the new sensations. I thought "shit! the sound of water dripping in an IV jolts him out of his sleep, wtf do foosteps and conversations sound like?" I know that's thinking about it far more than you're supposed to, but he also struck me as a character whose abilities I would hate to have in real life.

The way the incredible Hulk movie showed "Hulk can't have sex" (or even masturbate???) because elevating his heart rate causes him to Hulk out. The little things like that we don't think about. I don't know anything about this actor, or how the character is going to be portrayed, so it may turn out well, but each time I see Daredevil I think "this guy should be gagging on all the smells constantly assault his senses."

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
After the Ant-Man news, it's good to hear some good news about an upcoming Marvel project. S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 2 and Agent Carter were green lit, but what else will happen there IDK.