Community Could Be Saved by Hulu Deal

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Community Could Be Saved by Hulu Deal

Hulu and Sony Pictures TV are apparently in preliminary talks that could lead to a new streaming lease on life for Dan Harmon's Community.

Community may have very well been the most glorious TV shows to come out of network television in years. The brainchild of Dan Harmon, it combined clever writing, flawed but likable characters and heaping dose of nerdiness to fashion a show that might hit a "will they, won't they" story one week just to transform its cast into <a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFFxTGV-Tdg>pixelated video game characters a few weeks later. As incredible as it could be, its ratings frequently weren't the best and it existed in a perpetual state of near cancellation until NBC finally <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134384-NBC-Cancels-Community>pulled the plug at the end of its most recent season.

Fans of the show may want to hold off on any further #darkesttimeline Tweets, because recent reports are pointing to a potential return for the series on Hulu. According to said reports, the popular steaming service is apparently in talks with Sony Pictures TV to discuss a possible deal that could lead to a sixth season for the show. While sources are stressing that any talks are just preliminary, there is apparently interest on both sides.

Just personally, the very potential of this deal has me pretty danged excited. I'm a big fan of Community and while I could still be happy with the show ending on the note that season five closed on, I'd be lying if I said I didn't want more. That being the case, you can bet that I'll be among the throngs of fans watching and waiting to see if Hulu can help Dan Harmon reach his famous goal of "six seasons and a movie." Heck, they could just put out a third Dungeons & Dragons episode and I'd be pleased.

Source: Deadline

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
Me and my wife have watched the show on and off, and while I'm not a huge fan, I do like Joel Mccail *sp*, and think the show was unique. I am a DnD fan, used to play it myself, and while my wife is not, she still enjoyed many of the episodes.

I'd like to see it get another season to be honest. This last season had some very good episodes, and a few blah episodes....like I said, it's on again off again for us. I still think it's much better then many other comedies on TV.

Also it gave us Chang....We love Chang...Chang so cold....er cool.

I thought it might get picked up by netflix to be honest, they did that with other shows...and this looked like a perfect one to pick up. Not a huge budget show....lots of very loyal fans etc, great way for netflix to grab a bunch of new subscribers.

I still think that could be the real ticket here, as they might get more then just 6 seasons that way. Netflix could end up making quite a pretty penny as well. I already have netflix....I found breaking bad that way, enjoyed hemlock grove etc..so I'm a fan. I think this show would be perfect for netflix....but I'm happy no matter how it continues to exist (also a The soup fan).

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Listening to Dan's podcast it really seems like he's already moved on and is ready for the show to be over, I'm not sure he'd bring it back if he could...

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I've not watched it, but I am confident the future of good TV shows is streaming and the big networks should take note of this. I am hopeful this takes off and affects future TV shows and also hopeful that creative control is allowed to the creators without network (parent company) interference. Aside from stupid timeslotting resulting in cancellation, the other killer of great TV shows is focus testing crap and network interference. Watch how many shows in their 3rd season take a dramatic shift for the stupid pandering to whats "cool" (My Name is Earl's third season was a huge departure from what initially made the show good), popping in talentless "celebrities" into the show because they're popular at the time.
I hope this works out for a show that seems to be well produced.
The future should be self-produced content bought as a package and not interfered with by whatever entity decides to run it. Also timeslotting and ratings are fast becoming irrelevant. Networks, again, open your eyes or you may find you're irrelevant too.

ColdinT

Apr 8, 2009
I love the first few seasons of Community, but I've pretty much tuned out over the last season. The characters just got a bit too out there, and I didn't really like how Pierce constantly regressed after making significant character development.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
Well, here's hopes that Hulu helps make #sixseasonsandamovie happen after all, so we're not stuck with #fiveseasonsandameteor.

I sent in a message of feedback pretty much within the hour of the cancellation announcement and said 'Please look at picking this up' so here's hoping it happens.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
*nervously steps forward clutching a file folder in his hands*

Ahh, if we're talking about reviving shows....

*holds forward his folder with the word "Firefly" embossed on the cover before whispering, "You can't stop the signal..."*

Joking aside, I've meant to check out Community for awhile but never really had the option to sit down and watch it (especially seeing as I dont think its hit the UK Netflix either). I'm a bit worried its similar in humour to Big Bang Theory which I found enjoyable for the first season but it quickly got a bit too "omg look how whacky and zany we are lol!", is this the case?

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
Awesome news, this may give me a reason to keep hulu. The only reason I even started using the service was to binge watch Community because I didn't know about the show until they were starting the 4th season.

Fasckira said:
*nervously steps forward clutching a file folder in his hands*

Ahh, if we're talking about reviving shows....

*holds forward his folder with the word "Firefly" embossed on the cover before whispering, "You can't stop the signal..."*

Joking aside, I've meant to check out Community for awhile but never really had the option to sit down and watch it (especially seeing as I dont think its hit the UK Netflix either). I'm a bit worried its similar in humour to Big Bang Theory which I found enjoyable for the first season but it quickly got a bit too "omg look how whacky and zany we are lol!", is this the case?
Unfortunately, I think NBC must have already had something exclusive with Hulu. It wasn't on the US Netflix either.

Jan 12, 2012
StewShearer said:
Community may have very well been the most glorious TV shows to come out of network television in years. The brainchild of Dan Harmon, it combined clever writing, flawed by likable characters and heaping does of nerdiness
I think you mean "flawed but likable characters" there, Stew.
Fasckira said:
Not in the first few seasons. 1 and 2 are still some of the best television I've ever seen; it isn't 'zany' so much as 'cleverly meta and sharper than a vorpal sword'. They don't have a laugh track (thank God) and they don't make a joke just so people can say, "man those people are nerdy." If you can peel back the layers of jokes and references, the show becomes much more funny, but it's still great the first time through, when people bounce off each other and make clever comments.

After the first two seasons, it declined for me (3 was still good, and the other had their moments, but definitely lesser than what came before), but don't let that throw you off. I know people who loved all the Harmon-made seasons (see:this thread) so that's just my opinion.

balfore

Nov 9, 2006
Thunderous Cacophony said:
StewShearer said:
Community may have very well been the most glorious TV shows to come out of network television in years. The brainchild of Dan Harmon, it combined clever writing, flawed by likable characters and heaping does of nerdiness
I think you mean "flawed but likable characters" there, Stew.
And immediately follows it up with a "heaping does" I'm fairly certain that's meant to be dose... What is with the Escapists editing just going to shit, I really enjoy this website and seeing spelling and grammar errors everywhere just takes a way credibility in my opinion.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
It was a very enjoyable show with extremely memorable moments. I would like to see more from them but it's the prospect of Hulu being a place that catches shows with more life to give that has me most excited of all. It's a big win if I get to see it.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
If this goes through, God willing, expect Abed to compare it to how Netflix gave Arrested Development a 4th season. I was confused on a few points in the 5th season finale, like the District Board guys wanted to sell Greendale after it improved and Chang was spying for them the whole time. those had no build-up or foreshadowing. I also would have liked to see Craig Pelton lose his position of Dean, just to see him lose his mind. Everything going wrong at greendale was pretty much his fault, anyway.