Mario Trades Kart For Mercedes-Benz in Japanese Commercial

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Mario Trades Kart For Mercedes-Benz in Japanese Commercial

Luxury car giant enlists Nintendo icon to pitch new compact crossover model

With the highly-anticipated release of Mario Kart 8 for the Wii U imminent, German automaker Mercedes-Benz is cashing in on the Nintendo legend's enduring fame with a new ad campaign that features the superhero plumber using their new GLA compact crossover to get a leg up on his block-busting and Koopa-stomping.

In the ad, an 8-bit version of the new car is driven by Mario through an abbreviated recreation of the famous Level 1-1 from the original Famicom/NES Super Mario Bros, where it proves well-suited for vanquishing Goombas, vaulting over pipes and handling other hazards that, admittedly, most drivers are unlikely to encounter. In a final demonstration of power, the GLA enables Mario to leap over the flagpole and castle - and then things get a little strange...

The ad is part of a new marketing push for the model, which debuted as a concept car at the 2013 Shangai Auto Show. It is scheduled to be available in the U.S. by 2014 or 2015. In addition, Famitsu reports [http://www.famitsu.com/news/201405/29054060.html] that a Mercedes-branded kart will be available as free DLC for Mario Kart 8.

Source: Mercedes-Benz of Japan [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AkgJZGspCM]

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Okay god damn that was funny. Japan gets all the best commercials. America has been having the same car commercial since like the 80's of driving on long empty stretches of road while the narrator talks about safety and comfort and being first in its class, than reads off blurbs from car and truck magazines maybe followed finally by pricing and financing options. SNORE!!!!!!!!!!!!

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
A Japanese Italian, driving a German car. You are truly an international man Mr Mario. I tip my hat to you

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
I... that was.. huh.

Not sure how I feel about the car either, reminds me of the X6 - looks cool from the outside yet cramped on the inside.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
It didn't make me LOL, but smile it surely did.
Which is more than almost any car commercial has done, ever.
Except for the Volkswagen 2014 Superbowl add "Wings", that was lol material!

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
luvd1 said:
A Japanese Italian, driving a German car. You are truly an international man Mr Mario. I tip my hat to you
God, the entire Axis powers were involved in this one!

Alcom1

Jun 19, 2013
Now I want a car with a pressure activated mount-Yoshi sound effect whenever someone gets into the driver's seat.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Apparently its appearing as a downloadable kart in MK8 (potentially only Japanese copies) too...

Source: [link]http://www.carthrottle.com/a-mercedes-gla-is-the-last-thing-youd-expect-to-see-in-mario-kart-but-here-it-is/[/link]

AgedGrunt

Dec 7, 2011
So the whole Nintendo universe is up for grabs now. Is Land Rover going to get Bowser?

Still would have figured Mario for Porsche, something that has looked the same forever.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
The whole "realistic" take at the end threw me off a bit... though OFC they didn't try to keep it serious for long. That moment when Mario is like "...shit"

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Scorpid said:
Okay god damn that was funny. Japan gets all the best commercials. America has been having the same car commercial since like the 80's of driving on long empty stretches of road while the narrator talks about safety and comfort and being first in its class, than reads off blurbs from car and truck magazines maybe followed finally by pricing and financing options. SNORE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Preeeeeeeeeeeeeeetty much. I'd kill to see this on American TV or something. I mean, that commercial was awesome!

Edit: 700 posts! Woo! That' good to celebrate, right? ... Nevermind X3