Uplay Struggles Affect Watch Dogs and Other Ubisoft Games

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Uplay Struggles Affect Watch Dogs and Other Ubisoft Games

Microsoft issued a service alert for Xbox Live as users experience trouble with Ubisoft's Uplay.

Ubisoft's Uplay feature has made it difficult for people to play games like Watch Dogs, Trials Fusion, Child of Light, and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag. Microsoft issued a service alert this morning for Xbox Live, asking for users' patience.

Affected services include joining other Xbox Live members in online games, managing friends lists, and tracking friends' activity. Other Xbox Live services are unaffected.

Microsoft issued a statement on its support page, stating, "Hi Xbox members, are you having trouble using the Uplay feature on games like Watch Dogs, Trials Fusion, Child of Light, and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag? We are working with our partner to get the issue resolved as quickly as possible. Thanks for your patience. We'll update you on our progress as soon as we have more information."

Watch Dogs launched Tuesday, May 27. Reports indicated players struggled with its performance for the PC version, but uPlay has affected players for the worse on Xbox One as well. In addition, Eurogamer states it's received reports of PS4 users struggling to connect to Uplay. Maintenance this morning [https://twitter.com/UbisoftSupport/statuses/471740717229166592] addressed servers to aid in multiplayer matchmaking on PC, PS3, and PS4.

Source: Eurogamer [http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live-status]

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
I think if a big player like Microsoft or Sony got so fed up with their users not being able to play games on their platforms, they could theoretically put enough pressure on UbiSoft to strip uPlay requirements from their games. For this reason alone I hope that people have a really @#$^y time trying to play games this month. Little by little we can wittle away that dumb service. (I like the ability to earn points and buy character skins, but DRM is screwing their games over)

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
Hopefully this get fixed by tomorrow, I've left the weekend completely free for Watch Dogs. Be pain if uPlay screwed that up.

vdrandom

fsck
Dec 18, 2013
How I enjoy this kind of news. Maybe some day uPlay will follow GFWL into oblivion...

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
I thought trying to log into Uplay was just an ARG to get you really pumped to play Watch_dogs.

SerBrittanicus

Jul 22, 2013
Angelous Wang said:
Hopefully this get fixed by tomorrow, I've left the weekend completely free for Watch Dogs. Be pain if uPlay screwed that up.
Well I brought it on PC after seeming some pretty good reviews. I have not yet been able to play it due to problems with Uplay - I don't know how bad it is on consoles though.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Oh look, Uplay is a terrible service.

What a shock. This is my shocked face.

Hopefully, Microsoft and Sony use this to light a fire under Ubisoft's ass to get Uplay removed.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
SerBrittanicus said:
Angelous Wang said:
Well I brought it on PC after seeming some pretty good reviews. I have not yet been able to play it due to problems with Uplay - I don't know how bad it is on consoles though.
I haven't had many problems with Uplay (when it hasn't felt like connecting, it's offline mode's worked fine) but Watch_Dogs had been freezing my computer whenever I selected new game, until I downloaded some beta drivers from AMD. Works alright now though, apart from maybe a crash to desktop every few hours.

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
Wait, what? They still make you use Uplay even if you're using a console? What kind of logic is that? I thought the whole point of buying the console was that it served as a DRM box so you could just play games without all the muss and fuss of PC "services".

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
Heh, like I didn't see something like this coming. UPlay is a scourge, be it PC or console players I can see..

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Aggieknight said:
Another reminder that DRM is bad, m'kay?

Another reminder not to pre-order most games, m'kay?

/sigh
It's worst when you remember this exact same problem effected Anno 2070 and literally every Assassin's Creed game on the PC, in one case making the game in question unplayable for a whole fucking month after it was released.

I think after all that and other pre-order incidents like Colonial Marines, anyone who pre-orders voids their right to complain when the inevitable happens, especially when it's a game which had so much publically known behind the scenes drama as this one.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
This has been extremely annoying. I found the online portion to be decent fun, but not if connecting to a game (while the game stands #4 on the Steam play charts) takes that much time. I knew UPlay would screw things up, but not this badly.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I didn't even know UPlay was used on consoles, good to see Ubisoft are equally treating all gamers like criminal scum and not just PC gamers. Maybe it will be reflected in the reviews and they might consider scrapping it when they don't get perfect scores across the board.

Kieve

Jan 4, 2011
As much as I would like to simply laugh at this article and revel in the schadenfreude, it is tempered by the knowledge that Ubisoft is still rolling around in piles of money from the people who still buy their crap.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
"Hi Xbox members, are you having trouble using the Uplay feature on games like Watch Dogs, Trials Fusion, Child of Light, and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag?
Watch Dogs
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

I love the fact that games where an illegal hacker and a pirate are protagonists, are unplayable for legitimate buyers due to the companies botched attempt to stop hacking and piracy?

Also apparently Watch Dogs is already available for pirates to download, and since it doesn't have any bother with Uplay that makes it the only version of the game that is playable.

Once again anti-piracy DRM stops everyone but pirates from playing a game that has just been released. Bravo.

Asun

Your ad here
Oct 21, 2013
It's fascinating that people are still pre ordering Uplay infected stuff. I mean I know the feeling when you really want to play *that* one game right now but a little restraint can save yourselves a lot of money and frustration