Bethesda: No More Fallout 3 DLC

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Bethesda: No More Fallout 3 DLC

It sounds like we've reached the end of the line for Fallout 3 DLC [http://fallout.bethsoft.com], as Executive Producer Todd Howard says five downloadable add-ons for the game is "enough."

"I think we've put enough content out there for this game," Howard told Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5339034/] at QuakeCon last week, and it's hard to argue the point. In less than a year since its launch, the game has had five pieces of DLC released - Operation: Anchorage, The Pitt, Broken Steel, Point Lookout and Mothership Zeta - that changed the game's ending, raised the level cap and added new environments, weapons, enemies and other features. It's an impressive level of support, even for a game as successful as Fallout 3.

"We knew we wanted to do three initially and we'll see where that goes," Howard continued. "I kind of had in my mind that the upper limit was five. Part of that was what I think people are willing to continue to pay for a game. And a lot of that is our own internal bandwidth."

He described DLC creation as "the fun part" because designers don't have to contend with the technological aspect of game development and can instead focus entirely on the content. He said Point Lookout is one of his favorites because it does the best job of capturing the open-ended atmosphere of the original game. "It felt like the other DLCs didn't do what the game does best, which is give me a wide-open area to explore," he said, describing the approach to the design. "So let's do a DLC that gives you that in a new way."

He also noted that the final DLC, Mothership Zeta, was intentionally left to the last. "That one kept coming up: 'We should do alien abduction, we should do alien abduction.' I thought it was hilarious, and I said, 'We should wait. That isn't like the classic Fallout. You kind of want to keep the footprint of aliens in Fallout small'," Howard said.

"But once we got to the fifth one, it's like: 'It's really funny. It's a cool concept. We should do it'," he continued. "And the reason I like it is I do like the DLC to feel like something new. And that one, just on the surface, is instantly, 'This is different'."

Unfortunately, by all appearances it's also the end. Not that there's much to complain about: The combination of Fallout 3 and five DLC add-ons should be more than enough post-nuclear role-playing game action for anyone, at least until Fallout: New Vegas [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91064-UPDATED-New-Fallout-Coming-From-Original-Fallout-Devs] arrives.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
I'm fine with that. If they hadn't released the GECK I'd be a bit pissed (because originally I think they said they wouldn't be releasing the Construction Kit), but since there's now an infinite amount of player-made modability, I'm cool with no more DLC.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Umm...This is news? Haven't bethesda been saying for months that mothership zeta was going to be the last dlc?

Hey guys, I just heard! Nintendo are making a console which uses motion controls! I wonder how that will do...

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Mothership Zeta was a bad way to end the DLC, it felt more like a "What If?" kinda thing then an actual end to a brilliant story.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
My hopes are dashed for Fallout: London. But as long as they hurry up with the PS3 DLC then it'll be all right.

iggyus

Apr 18, 2009
Well most DLC's were OK except Mothership Zeta which left me dissapointed. I was hoping for MOAR but ah well...

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Cajt said:
*sigh*
All good things must come to an end.
^This. I was still clinging onto my "Bethesda/Fallout 3 Folder", but I guess I should officially begin the uninstall...

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
antipunt said:
Cajt said:
*sigh*
All good things must come to an end.
^This. I was still clinging onto my "Bethesda/Fallout 3 Folder", but I guess I should officially begin the uninstall...
*sigh* Atleast I still got Fallout 1, 2 and tactics to finish before I'm all out of games.

Arrers

Mar 4, 2009
I'm still a little surprised that they never did any thing in the Commonwealth. I mean, the charcter mentioned I more than they did the Pitt. Maybe it'll be in the next game. But if the next fallout game's set in vegas, and that the comonwealth is on the other end of america, it probably won't.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
I'm fine with that. I never actually got any DLC, maybe when they release all the packs in disc form i might give them a look.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
NOOOO! They can't end this with Zeta, I want, no NEED, something ala Shivering Isles, something unique and huge, like Point Lookout but bigger and filled with more interesting characters.
Make it yourself :D It can't be that hard to find a bunch of guys willing to put their voices to a mini-project of yours.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
They showed tremendous support and added a few neat and a few scary new things into a great game. Although some DLC was better than others, it still set the bar for how DLC should be used to keep a game alive for a time way after it was released.