Reading Rainbow Will Head to Consoles, Mobile and Android if Funding Hits $5 Million

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
Reading Rainbow Will Head to Consoles, Mobile and Android if Funding Hits $5 Million

LeVar Burton's next goal for his wildly successful Kickstarter is to raise $5 million and get Reading Rainbow on more devices, including mobile, gaming consoles and Android.

After his <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134861-LeVar-Burton-Wants-to-Bring-Back-Reading-Rainbow>Reading Rainbow Kickstarter raked in nearly $3 million after only three days, LeVar Burton is challenging his supporters to "go twice as high...again!" Burton and his team are now looking for $5 million, with plans to bring the revitalized program to even more internet-enabled devices.

We've been reading your comments and suggestions, and we couldn't agree more: to be accessible to more kids and families, we need to be on MOBILE DEVICES. We also need to be on ANDROID. And for families and classrooms -- especially those that can't afford computers or tablets for each child -- we also need to be on connected devices that can put Reading Rainbow back on the television: both the most common GAMING CONSOLES kids use, like XBOX and Playstation, and on new OVER THE TOP (OTT) BOXES like AppleTV, Roku and Kindle Fire TV.

While the page mentioned bringing Reading Rainbow to the Xbox and PlayStation platforms in its <a href=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/readingrainbow/bring-reading-rainbow-back-for-every-child-everywh/posts/860617>latest Kickstarter post, it's not yet clear if they mean the more common, last-generation Xbox 360 and PS3 or their newer counterparts, the PS4 and Xbox One.

Burton's original goal of $1 million was easily surpassed and has provided all the funds needed to bring Reading Rainbow back as an internet program and give free access to 1500 classrooms. If the project reaches its new stretch goal of $5 million, in addition to being available on the above devices, Reading Rainbow will also give free access to a total of 7500 classrooms.

Burton has said that even more ambitious stretch goals will be announced should the funding pass the $5 million mark, such as bringing Reading Rainbow to public libraries. With another 32 days left for the project to collect funding, it seems likely we'll be hearing more from Burton and his team before too long.

Source: <a href=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/readingrainbow/bring-reading-rainbow-back-for-every-child-everywh/posts/860617>Kickstarter

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Damn it is a great thing that they're doing for kids. I'm really hoping that their Reading Rainbow program constantly points out the local libraries available to the viewers. It cost me $1 to purchase a lifetime checkout pass at my local library; and that's not even needed to just stay there and read the books inside the building. The Twilight series may suck in both movie form and context of vampirism, but I'd still recommend going to a library and reading the books instead of watching a Lord of the Rings movie....

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
I'm kind of baffled they fact they keep using the words everyone and everywhere, when it's reserved for English speakers in the United States. They're shutting out the majority of the planet and need to stop saying everyone and everywhere if it's just for the United States and is only English.

I was hoping that after reaching their goal, which was pretty clear from the start they would, they'd announced doing the program in other languages and maybe even bringing it to other parts of the world.

I wonder how many people donated not realizing this.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
PirateRose said:
I'm kind of baffled they fact they keep using the words everyone and everywhere, when it's reserved for English speakers in the United States. They're shutting out the majority of the planet and need to stop saying everyone and everywhere if it's just for the United States and is only English.

I was hoping that after reaching their goal, which was pretty clear from the start they would, they'd announced doing the program in other languages and maybe even bringing it to other parts of the world.

If you would be so kinda as to just let the U S of A take the world over and make American the global language this wouldn't be a problem.
That said do you really think non English speaking people are backing this kickstarter? Last I checked Reading Rainbow was a show that only aired in the US and only was in English.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
I wish him nothing but the best! He's always been in it for the kids and people like that are diamonds in the rough.

misg

Apr 13, 2013
I wonder how many people donated not realizing this.[/quote]
If you would be so kinda as to just let the U S of A take the world over and make American the global language this wouldn't be a problem.
That said do you really think non English speaking people are backing this kickstarter? Last I checked Reading Rainbow was a show that only aired in the US and only was in English.[/quote]

We also got it in Canada, and it was a great show, I hope it's very successful, kids need shows like this to learn and not just melt their brains.

EiMitch

Nov 20, 2013
I hope RR isn't being kick-trolled here. I mean, three-million in three days? Sounds just a bit too good to be true. I hope LeVar takes the time to make sure the pledges are legit.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I remember this show. Rather fondly, too. LeVar Burton always seemed like such a good person. Not only on Reading Rainbow, but I remember loving his character on Next Generation (probably due to those "cool shades" he was always sporting on the show).

I really hope this does well and can be accessed by more people.

I should probably tell my cousin about this, so she can let her kids watch it when it hits.

Sep 14, 2009
This is incredible, I can only hope this smashes a ton of kickstarter records with how much it raises.

Hopefully they reach those goals, it'll be interesting to see how they'll have it accessible over the consoles, and if you can access it in other countries but the US.

zerragonoss

Oct 15, 2009
PirateRose said:

Where did you get the USA only, its all internet or for schools to broke to afford it, I see no reason it would be US specific at all? (possibly US weighted as our school system is crap and that is where its founded though.) Yes it is English centric though. They did say other langues could be in their next stretch goal after 5 mill, and it is actually a really tough job to start adding langues to something that is all langue.