NYT Rejects Comic About #Yesallwomen

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
NYT Rejects Comic About #Yesallwomen

It's an unfortunate bit of timidity by the Gray Lady, though not necessarily the scandal it appears to be.

Newspaper cartoonists often have to contend with touchy editors when it comes to discussing controversial topics; avoiding angry readers who might stop purchasing newspapers as a result of being offended is one of an Editor's jobs, after all. So it's nothing new when a paper passes on a submitted cartoon.

Even so, political comics have always been a bit different from the daily variety, with controversy often being the point. That's even more true when you consider the vast difference between the newspaper-style cartoonists pre-Internet and post-Internet. Many cartoonists today cut their teeth online, where courting controversy - even outright trolling - is as vital to generating interest and discussion of one's work as being actually good at said work. Which is why it's somewhat surprising when a paper declines to publish a political cartoon, as was the case yesterday when the New York Times kiboshed the weekly installment of See Something, Say Something.

Here's what artist and co-creator Michael Kupperberg had to say about it on his blog [https://michael-kupperman.squarespace.com/kuppermanblahblahblah/2014/6/1/the-comic-not-fit-to-print]:

Some of you may have noticed that David Rees and I have been producing a comic for the New York Times Week in Review section called "See Something, Say Something" every other Sunday... but we're not in today's paper. That's because they objected to David's script this week and refused to consider printing it... the subject matter (male rage, online bullying & the hashtag #yesallwomen) was "too sensitive."

I disagree very strongly with that decision, because I feel David was making a point that deserves to be made. So I went ahead and completed the script as written; here it is, see for yourselves.

Here's the comic that caused such a fuss.

A little context: In the aftermath of the University of California Santa Barbara shootings, it was revealed that the shooter held deep-seated, vicious resentment against women who, he said again and again, deserved death for sexually rejecting him. Thousands of women tweeted the hashtag #yesallwomen, along with examples from their own lives in which they've been sexually harassed or assaulted by men espousing views similar to those expressed by the UCSB shooter. The point being that all women have stories like this.

As hashtag campaigns go, it's hardly offensive, though a sizable group of people have missed the point, adding their own hashtags mocking or criticizing the original campaign. Obviously, this comic takes a rather aggressive stance toward people complaining about #yesallwomen, but is it really "too sensitive"? Maybe, but I don't think so. It sounds like the NYT simply wants to prevent the inevitable storm of trolling and counter-trolling in comments and letters to the editor. That's disappointing, at least in the sense that a newspaper should be willing to wade into controversial topic.

On the other hand, I have to be honest: I think this comic is way too on the nose to make a decent point about male rage or the weird resentment of #yesallwomen, and it relies too heavily on Internet shibboleths for the joke to work. That sucks to say, because I'm a huge fan of David Rees' Get Your War On [http://www.mnftiu.cc/], but it's true.

Maybe I'm being too hard on it, or perhaps I'm being too hard on the NYT for refusing to publish based on sensitivity. What do you think, readers? Sound off in comments.

Via Bleeding Cool [http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/06/02/new-york-times-drops-see-something-say-something-strip-over-yesallwomen-comics-twitter-hashtag/].

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
The entire situation is a recursive monster of endless straw arguments. This comic is about average for that.
For more information on this subject, just wait for this thread to fill.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Egh. Terrible artwork aside (which may or may not be intentional), I can see why this got rejected. It's not clever, it's not witty, and it tackles the issue with all the grace of an elephant. Never mind that it is an issue I really don't think even needs to be addressed in a periodical.

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
Mahorfeus said:
Egh. Terrible artwork aside (which may or may not be intentional), I can see why this got rejected. It's not clever, it's not witty, and it tackles the issue with all the grace of an elephant. Never mind that it is an issue I really don't think even needs to be addressed in a periodical.
I agree about the artwork and the writing, although I think the issue of #yesallwomen is worthy of further discussion in as many formats as possible.

The comic should never have been rejected for being too sensitive, just because it is outright bad, on all fronts.

Ninmecu

May 31, 2011
I don't have an issue with the hashtag. What I have issue with, is the ignorance presented by several of the people who used said hashtag, claiming that the man-child in question was purely a misogynist. Fact is, he hated women for not being sexually subservient towards him and he hated men who he deemed to be more successful than him. Want to know how far that hatred goes? I'm an impoverished native american Canadian, I lost my virginity with a 8/10 red head goth chick at 14. Based on that second bit, he would have hated me with the same deep seeded despair that he hated the women he wanted to bone. Because I've been with a woman, I'd qualify as more successful than he in his own eyes, despite being in a much better socio-economic position. But the thing that really gets me is the man was deranged, had severe issues and needed some serious help. But there are many amongst those who used the hashtag that were simply abusing it for the sake of being misandrist pigs and pushing their own agenda, the comic in question sidesteps the entire issue and makes it seem as though we, as males, have absolutely no reason to be annoyed or bothered by some of the comments that were being made and aimed at us simply for being born male.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Oh, come on.

They'll run the cartoons of Glenn McCoy -- without being forced to, even -- but they won't run this?

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Was there supposed to be something funny or witty in that comic?

MCerberus said:
The entire situation is a recursive monster of endless straw arguments.
Truer words were never spoken.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
No your right it is way to on the nose to make a real point,be funny, or have an impact. Im not sure what it needed but it needed something to work better. I think its fine that they comment on such a thing just that they should do better and I wouldnt have allowed the comic on the grounds of quality.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Wow, so much controversy. It's unlike anything the internet's ever seen!

I wonder how many more years will have gone by before people finally stop caring about what stupid people say on the most stupid medium in existence.

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
I wouldn't say the subject matter is offensive, but if it was my call, I would question printing it for some of the specific lines, primarily the rape reference and the "fat and ugly" comment. I understand the statement, but I would understand if someone said that content was too sensitive for publication. Of course, I don't know what is the standard for the NYT.

That said, I'm all behind the #yesallwomen campaign for the most part (granted that I'm sure there are people using it in ways I may not support, but they don't need my "support" or approval). And I even like the message of the comic, but as others have said, the delivery is crap.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
The entire joke/point of the comic is that those guys are babies? Geez, you'd think people who get to write on The New York Times might manage a little more depth than the average toddler. This is just embarrassing, I'm not surprised they didn't want it in their paper.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
I'd say it should have been printed or at the very least not rejected for the reasons it has been.

That said I do think it's a horrible comic that, instead of making any actual point, just seems to add another strawman into the mix. I mean let's be honest, can you imagine anyone ever looking at this comic and going "hey... I hadn't looked at it that way before..."? I sure as hell can't.

And I do think that's a requirement for a good political comic. It's meant to inspire at the very least a second cursory look from a slightly different perspective at a certain topic. I don't see this comic doing that.

90sgamer

Jan 12, 2012
Too bad the editor didn't say the comic was rejected because it 1. wasn't skillfully written 2. wasn't skillfully illustrated, because those reasons are good enough.

Zato-1

Mar 27, 2009
How is this newsworthy? I would've rejected it for being a shitty, hateful comic.

Deadman

Aug 5, 2013
errrrghhhh. . . this comic hurts me.

I'm all for woman's rights i really am, but the more you use something the less power it has in peoples minds.

as for the comic itself its childish, immature, and the point its trying to make is just stupid.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Frankly, I think the comic's crap.

The sort of men who actually post threats towards people they disagree with or quietly harbor seething rage at women would likely have one of two responses: it would bounce right off unnoticed, or it would just verify their views that the world at large is hostile and uncaring and not worth engaging on its own terms (with the attendant and rather parallel dismissal of anyone who disagrees with their reality.)

Anyone who had a more moderate view- say, sympathetic with #yesallwomen's ideals and sense of solidarity but wondering if the hashtag approach is really provoking serious conversation or long-term change- would likely take the comic as a sign that they should keep any qualms to themselves for fear of ridicule, making any genuine productive conversation that much poorer.

Has any conversation, ever, gone uphill for someone literally referring to one segment as a bunch of babies peeing their pants? This may be cathartic for the author, but it's value for the readership is dubious at best.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
I love how SJWs spend all day whining about everything that offends them, then make comics about how everyone else is so whiny and sensitive whenever anyone criticizes them. Their absolute void of self-awareness and constant projection is matched on by their dedication to straw men and ad hominem. This comic would be embarrassing for your average webcomic, let alone for a major publication.