Xbox 360's Death Rate is 54.2%

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Xbox 360's Death Rate is 54.2%

A print-only survey published in Game Informer found that Xbox 360 owners were five times as likely to have a fatal hardware error as PS3 owners, seeing the dreaded RRoD at an astounding rate of 54.2 percent.

Game Informer surveyed approximately 5,000 gamers about hardware failure issues to put the omnipresent stories about the infamous Red Ring of Death into its proper context, reports Consumerist [http://consumerist.com/5338852/xbox-360-failure-rate-is-542-percent-game-informer-finds]. The answers were slightly stunning: More than half of all Xbox 360 owners have seen their console die on them - 54.2%, in fact.

This figure is five times as high as its nearest competitor, with Sony's PS3, which clocks in at 10.6%, with the plucky little Wii the most healthy at a 6.8% failure rate. While the Consumerist points out that Microsoft's numbers might be a bit inflated due to the 360 being used the most out of the three, I'm not quite buying it - yes, 40.3 percent of 360 owners use the console three to five hours a day, but that's just a smidgen ahead of the PS3's 37 percent. Not nearly enough to account for the discrepancy.

While the number is certainly high, when you think about it, it almost feels a bit low - 45.8% of Xbox 360s haven't ever broken once, which doesn't seem to fly with all the horror stories about everybody and their mother's 360s bricking. There may be a simple explanation for this, though: The survey counts 360 owners new and old, and if we assume that the first generation of 360s had a much higher failure rate, but that modern Elites are more sturdily built, that might just average out to the number we have here.

Or, maybe it's just a matter of personal luck. I've had two 60GB PS3's fail on me since April, and my 360 Elite is still chugging away just fine. Go figure.

Still, despite the high failure rate, and despite Microsoft having the "worst" customer service of the big three, the Xbox 360 somehow maintains strong brand loyalty - only 3.8% of 360 owners surveyed said they'd never buy an Xbox 360 again. I guess we gamers are a forgiving bunch.

(Game Informer (Print) via Consumerist [http://consumerist.com/5338852/xbox-360-failure-rate-is-542-percent-game-informer-finds])

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
I'd also attribute that to the fact that it was only 5000 people surveyed. I mean, I'm sure Game Informer doesn't have the widest base of people... but you have to put that into context too. That's the Magazine they sell at Gamestop, right? Who exactly buys that magazine anyway? If I bought a game system, and it failed, I would probably give it another chance. If that second one failed? No way. Not unless it was leagues above everything else available right now. You're on your 3rd, and that's way more than I would ever go through.

Also, though I've never heard of a Wii failing, I've also never heard them played to the point where they might. It's also using hardware from... how many years ago? They HAVE to have worked out the kinks by now.

I've never heard of PS3's failing either, including mine.

axia777

Oct 10, 2008
This is the reason I have not gotten a 360. If this had never happened I would have bought one a long time ago. Probably before I got my PS3. Microsoft really screwed up on the 360's hardware.

BonerMacTittyPants

Aug 3, 2009
Woa.

It's like you have 50/50 chance of buying a faulty unit.

Next time I feel like buying a new console I'll take my lucky coin with me.

Spirultima

Jul 25, 2008
The PS3 isn't perfect, but without sounding like a fanboy, im glad i made the decision...in fact scratch that, im a Sony fanboy.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Stupid Microsoft, giving you are giving fanboys some credibility damnit! I had no idea the figures were so high.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Could we have the numbers separated into how many Arcade/Premium/Elite systems die? Neither my brother's nor my own 360 have red ringed as of yet and we both bought Elites. I'd be interested to see how high the number was for each individual console build (including PS3s with different setups of course).

toasterslayer

Dec 24, 2008
IdealistCommi said:
The Red Ring of Death is the only thing keeping me from getting a 360. These nubers scare me about what might happen if I get one.
you wait a few weeks and get a new one free. but that still seems low...

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
My good ol' 360 is yet to show those rings and i've had it for quite a while plus it's preowned.

Kedimay

Aug 16, 2009
The 360 is fine (most of the time) against a red ring as long as the person who owns the console has common sense.
The main cause for red ring is abruptly disconnecting the power supply from the xbox before it is turned off
OR
Moving the Xbox WHILE IT IS STILL RUNNING.

Yes, the Xbox would fail a lot by itself anyway but it would probably be only half as bad...
If people were smart enough to figure out you have to switch off a console before you do some crazy stuff.

So yeah, Xboxs' die a lot.
And as long as you look after one you can most likely avoid the Red Ring.
If you are smart enough and got it by not your own fault,
Then you'll probably be smart enough to make sure you don't have to fork out a penny for the inconvenience.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Suprisingly, game informer is a good magazine. I only took it because it comes up with nuggets of wisdom and exsclusives you can't find on the internet.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I'll say what I always say in this kind of thing, I find it absolutely appalling for Microsoft to let this disastrous RRoD make it through manufacturing.

I can never forgive any manufacturer a failure rate of 33% (54.2% apparently, but that's over 5,000 people, which is still appalling). I don't care if it's Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo, once you start expecting your console to die on you every time you turn it on, something is wrong and it's not you.

Personally, if my PS3 crashed on me 3 times it's strike out. 1st time, okay, things happen, dust collects or whatever. 2nd time, fine, I'll play my games. 3rd time's the charm you're out of there, you cannot expect me as your customer to continue doing this shit (in all honesty, though, I'd probably be a hypocrite and continue sending it in for repairs).

All of my friends with 360 have had to go through a minimum of 3 Xboxes. I don't give a crap if they repair it for free, getting my 360 repaired for the 5th time kind of wears down the "free!" part of it.

My fucking PS2 works like brand new and I bought that near it's launch! While I'm not denying that console breaks down occasionally, they don't usually break down One third of the time.