Anime Review: Baccano!

KValentine

Mar 4, 2009
Anime Review: Baccano!

Despite a confusing first episode, Baccano! blends great action, compelling characters, and excellent storytelling into one hell of a mix.

Read Full Article

Caimekaze

Feb 2, 2008
I love Baccano!

But I can't stand the dub. Those accents really do grate on my ears. They seem too false for me.

It's a remarkably violent series, really. I wasn't expecting it to be.

I wasn't all that put off by the first episode, but I still haven't finished watching it. I became distracted, I guess. Now I think I'll finish watching it, so thank you.

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
Well... That sounds great! I'm probably going to watch that one.

Thank you for a wonderful review of what I hope to be an equally wonderful anime.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Thanks for the wonderful review, I was hoping that this would be a good series.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
Baccano is one of the best anime I've seen in years. I mean, come on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msg8ypnLqaw

Have you seen an opening that stylish since cowboy bebop?

It's also one of the few series' where the dubbing makes sense. It's set in fricken new york.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
vivaldiscool said:

It's also one of the few series' where the dubbing makes sense. It's set in fricken new york.
I still maintain that "Jacuzzi Splot" is the worst name I have ever heard.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
vivaldiscool said:

I still maintain that "Jacuzzi Splot" is the worst name I have ever heard.
Probably why he cries so much.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Sounds interesting. It, too, will be added to the list (as mentioned in a previous anime-review response). First, I have to check to see if it isn't already on the list (the list contains many anime I've never heard of, as it was something a friend sent me, and I've been slowly working my way through it).

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
It sounds like you had a better reaction to the series than I did. It had some decent moments and I liked the visual style of it, but the overall series got an overwhelmingly "meh" response from me.

Edit: I suppose I should qualify that statement. The sporadic and unfocused nature of the storytelling, combined with a lack of any truly central protagonist, left me rather disinterested in the events. I've seen plenty of shows that have bounced around in the timeline but they all did it better. To me, Baccano felt like somebody's attempt at a Guy Ritchie film (ie. Snatch) with none of the charm.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Wow, I couldn't agree more with your appraisal of the first episode... I downloaded it on Xbox and my first thought was that it was way too disorganized and rushed for me to form any coherent thoughts about it. It wasn't awful, but it didn't stand out and pull me in and consequently I decided not to download any further episodes. However, I may go back and give it another shot after reading this. It makes it much more interesting to me.

Furthermore, the knowledge that this was one of the reviewed shows makes me REALLY wish I'd written some reviews for that competition instead of looking for a job.

Edit: JACUZZI SPLOT?!?

Dorian Cornelius Jasper

Space Robot From Outer Space
Apr 8, 2008
I liked Baccano! quite a lot, really. It's deliciously pulp, stylish, and its central conceit of immortality--as well as some rather ironic ways certain characters with certain philosophies interact with them--all come together into a package that's just a whole lotta fun.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
I think I'm going to have to add this to my 'To watch' list
perfect for helping me remember where I am in a series and get started on the next one :p
Now I just need to find it... good thing I'm going to Forbidden Planet today then...

RavingPenguin

Engaged to PaintyFace
Jan 20, 2009
Hmmm... I'll have to watch this. That is, of course, after I finish Trigun, and Vampire Knight, and Blade of the Immortal, and Eureka 7, and D.N. Angel. Wow, I need to catch up.

XenthenK

Aug 16, 2009
My friend introduced me to this and, after a little cynicism, I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT! It's a very intriguing plot, and it's story is something you don't see in a whole lot of anime, much less in any American TV show. Also:

RavingPenguin said:
Hmmm... I'll have to watch this. That is, of course, after I finish Trigun, and Vampire Knight, and Blade of the Immortal, and Eureka 7, and D.N. Angel. Wow, I need to catch up.
Those can wait. This is only 13 episodes, and is probably one of the best anime-watching experiences you'll ever come across. Trust me, it's worth it.

xainoforgv

Aug 19, 2009
This is an anime that is very rare to come by with interesting characters that you will love so much you'll totally forget about the lack of a central protagonist. Also Baccano is an anime that made a dub that is truly amazing and enhances the experience rather than bogging it down there is not a single voice that feels out of place. I admit some of the voices weren't what I expecting but quickly proved to be better choices then I expected. In other words this series is a must see that will only get better every time you watch it and those who give up based on the first episodes small issues don't know what their missing.

historybuff

Feb 15, 2009
Oh, man. I love this series. Baccano is awesome!

I watched the Japanese w/subs so I haven't listened to the dub yet. So, no idea how it went but that is one awesome little series.

solsticesins

Aug 6, 2009
Catch the 3 episode OVA too after you watch the series, it's just as good. Do it subbed though -.- dubbings just never catch the full flare and usually makes everything so... saturday-morning-cartoon-ish.

bluepilot

Jul 10, 2009
I watched this anime a year ago and completly loved it.

It is a beautiful tapesty of events weaved perfectly together, with just the right amount of gore and torture, it is impossible to look away

wewontdie11

May 28, 2008
I really liked this when I watched it a few days ago. Was very Tarentino-esque in a lot of areas and is probably one of the best non-mainstream animes out there.

AtticusSP

Apr 6, 2009
Glad to see a positive review for my favorite series.
To bad it's still gonna be one of those amazing series no one fucking watched.
It got a bad timeslot in Japan combined with the fact they don't like things without stuff they can relate too and here it had no timeslot and no advertising. Too bad.
Personally, I'd want Adult Swim to air, but since they're trying to erase anime completely I doubt it'll happen.
(They even put the insanely popular Code Geass at like, 3AM. What? That show had insane levels of success.)