Crossbones Episode 1 Recap - The Devil's Dominion

Dan O'Halloran

Feb 4, 2014
Crossbones Episode 1 Recap - The Devil's Dominion

Not even Malkolvich'ing like a boss can save this mediocre tale of scheming pirate kings, action-hero British spies and comedy-relief monkey boys.

Read Full Article

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Took the words right out of my mouth, from the nonsense motives to steal the McGuffin device to the passionless mess that is the setting and story. The season preview they showed after the premiere gave me some sense of potential, but I'm not convinced they can deliver.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Eh... I think I'll give it a few more episodes to get its sealegs. *rimshot*

After watching only the first episode through means oddly appropriate for the show, I can say there's promise in the series if it can figure out how to create a little more depth in its characters and story. I see it potentially as a pirate-era Spooks/MI-5, where espionage is more intrigue and human based than spy gadgets and guns.

We've had several series of late that struggled in their first few episodes. Let's see where this goes before we write it off.

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
Hehe, thank you for the review. I am in agreement.

I like Richard Coyle (Coupling, anyone?) and I hope he gets good roles, but the show is just bad. I think they should go full-on kitsch and do a Pirate/Spooks mashup like The Gentleman, above, said. Throw in some steampunkery and I am happy.

You can't help to compare it to Black Sails, which is a much better show, definitely grittier and not afraid of the source material. Crossbones seems to have "borrowed" many elements from Black Sails.