The Arkeg Brings Beer and Videogames Together

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
The Arkeg Brings Beer and Videogames Together

Two of man's greatest inventions - videogames and beer - have finally been combined into one magical machine of happy making: an arcade cabinet / beer keg called the Arkeg.

Homer Simpson once famously called beer the "cause of and solution to all of man's problems," but around these parts I'd wager to say that videogames could lay claim to the same title. That kinship aside, nobody who enjoys a good brew as much as he or she enjoys a good game of Street Fighter can deny that games and beer are two of the greatest pleasures life has to offer. So why not combine them?

No, I'm not talking about playing the Gears of War 2 drinking game where every time somebody does or says something homoerotic you have to drink. I'm talking about the Arkeg [http://www.drinkngame.com/buy.html], an arcade cabinet designed and manufactured by Allstarcade that is exactly what it sounds like: an arcade machine that also happens to house a beer keg.

Yep, you've got a cabinet with a 24" LCD screen, a six-button, two joystick set-up that comes pre-loaded with 104 classic arcade games like Asteroids, Centipede, Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter. Plus, underneath the screen and arcade board, a space for a mini five-gallon keg with digital temperature control and an "effortless CO2 draft system." On the left hand side of the machine is the tap, so whenever you feel like taking a break, all you need to do is grab a mug and let 'er rip.

Seems like a dream come true, right? Well it's an expensive dream, running for $4000. Yikes. Guess I'll just stick with my Gears of War 2 drinking game.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Brilliant idea, although I think I'll stick to my "Balance an LCD TV on top of a mini-fridge" style. Both cheaper, and smaller.

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
Keane Ng said:
Guess I'll just stick with my Gears of War 2 drinking game.
I must ask how does this drinking game go?

OT I think Ill stick to my mini-fridge + precariously perched TV approach.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
When I get a spare $5000, that will be the first thing I'll buy. Too bad I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Agent Larkin said:
Keane Ng said:
Guess I'll just stick with my Gears of War 2 drinking game.
I must ask how does this drinking game go?

OT I think Ill stick to my mini-fridge + precariously perched TV approach.
It's in his post :p

Keane Ng said:
No, I'm not talking about playing the Gears of War 2 drinking game where every time somebody does or says something homoerotic you have to drink.
Seems like a pretty simple game to me, though I wonder how many people could last from start to finish.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I was hoping for bongs to be attached to it as well, so can sip while you play straight from the keg. Who needs glasses? Asteroids would be so different after a few mugs of beer. Then the listening to the gold dragon going, 'Get in mah bellay!' as he chases you might get old for some.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
Will someone please give me one line from Gears of War 2 that is homoerotic?

Because I havn't found any, unless crying over your dead wife is homoerotic.

But other than that, this thing looks sweet. I'm underage, but the arcade thing looks really cool.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
The Austin said:
Will someone please give me one line from Gears of War 2 that is homoerotic?

Because I havn't found any, unless crying over your dead wife is homoerotic.

But other than that, this thing looks sweet. I'm underage, but the arcade thing looks really cool.
Read between the lines ;)
They spend 2 games grab-assing, you must see the sexual tension there.

On topic, I'll stick to playing COD4, working my way through a bottle of Martini, watching my aim gradually deteriorate, telling the strangers on my team that their the best friends I could ever wish for, then charging the bomb and dying in a blaze of drunken glory.

I dont need no goddamn beer keg cabinet.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
I bet an original Centipede arcade machine would go for even more than this if it was well kept.

However, I stick with my original plan to buy a pinball machine. There's plenty of room for a kegerator under that thing!

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
I can see these being hired out to 18+ conventions, private parties and the like. If they're not being hired out someone should really do that and cut me in on the profit for coming up with the idea.

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
i had the idea for a combination bar/arcade years ago. I am furious I didn't think of this idea first.

xHipaboo420x

Apr 22, 2009
It was the tap on the side that had me. Glorious beveraged gaming made convenient! We just need it to be vaguely affordable now.

Also, every other comment here is someone saying "Nice, but I'll stick with...".

Stickstickstickstick.

Break it up a bit guys?