Vincent D'Onofrio Joins Daredevil As The Kingpin

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Vincent D'Onofrio Joins Daredevil As The Kingpin

Marvel's Daredevil Netflix series will feature a Law and Order: Criminal Intent star as the powerful Wilson Fisk.

Marvel fans may be excitedly preparing themselves for this summer's Guardians of the Galaxy, but we don't just have feature films to look forward to. The company's Netflix-exclusive content is still underway, including a new 13-episode Daredevil series. Just two weeks ago <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134836-Charlie-Cox-is-Marvels-New-Daredevil>Charlie Cox was cast as the series protagonist, and now we have his villainous Kingpin: Vincent D'onofrio, best known for his work on Law and Order: Criminal Intent.

For those unfamiliar, Kingpin is a title given to Wilson Fisk, the most powerful crime lord of the Marvel Universe. First appearing in the pages of Spider-Man, Fisk quickly became a central antagonist for "street-level" superheroes, most notably Daredevil and The Punisher. Posing as a legitimate businessman, Fisk is feared as the one man uniting New York's varied mob organizations, and as a villain regular police can't (or won't) pursue. Beyond his ruthless intelligence Fisk is also immensely strong for an "ordinary" human, capable of besting rivals with his immense strength and extensive martial arts training.

"We're incredibly proud to have an actor with the gravitas and versatility of Vincent joining Marvel's Daredevil in such an integral role," said Marvel Head of Television Jeph Loeb. "Wilson Fisk is an iconic villain whose cunning and power make him the dangerous equal of our hero."

In my mind, Vincent D'Onofrio is pretty much inseparable from the quirkier roles he's taken on, including Criminal Intent's detective Robert Goren or the monstrous bug from Men In Black. Those are hard images to reconcile with the ruthless Kingpin, whose last on-screen appearance under Michael Clarke Duncan was one of the best parts <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daredevil_%28film%29>of the infamous Daredevil film. Regardless, D'Onofrio is a talented actor, and I'm very curious to see his take on one of the great Marvel villains.

Daredevil will premiere on Netflix in 2015.

Source: <a href=http://marvel.com/news/tv/2014/6/10/22659/vincent_donofrio_is_wilson_fisk_on_marvels_daredevil_on_netflix>Marvel

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/content/e3-2014]

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
He's a tad thin for the role. The late MCD managed to reconcile the character's girth with his rather massive physique that actually played well to the character. And unlike some villains, the Kingpin's girth is a major part of his character, as it drove him to hone both his mind and body (he's surprisingly fit underneath that initial layer of blubber) to become the king of NYC organized crime.

My guess is that they will either do a substantial rewire of the character, or pull out some prosthetic parts to make him look larger. My guess, and hope, is that he will appear fat, but that fat is actually a series of springs and weights to have him constantly muscle building for strength.

Jeremy Dawkins

Oct 17, 2011
The Gentleman said:
He's a tad thin for the role. The late MCD managed to reconcile the character's girth with his rather massive physique that actually played well to the character. And unlike some villains, the Kingpin's girth is a major part of his character, as it drove him to hone both his mind and body (he's surprisingly fit underneath that initial layer of blubber) to become the king of NYC organized crime.

My guess is that they will either do a substantial rewire of the character, or pull out some prosthetic parts to make him look larger. My guess, and hope, is that he will appear fat, but that fat is actually a series of springs and weights to have him constantly muscle building for strength.
It is going to be an animated show on Netflix, not a live-action thing.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Jeremy Dawkins said:
The Gentleman said:

It is going to be an animated show on Netflix, not a live-action thing.
Yes [http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/vincent-onofrio-cast-wilson-fisk-netflix-daredevil-series-article-1.1824375] it [http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=53347] is... [http://herocomplex.latimes.com/tv/daredevil-charlie-cox-to-play-matt-murdoch-in-marvel-netflix-series/]
New York Daily News said:
"Daredevil," which will be filmed entirely on location in New York City, is one of four live-action series coming to Netflix that feature some of Marvel's most popular superheroes. Those characters will join forces in an Avengers-like team for a major miniseries event.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
I'm sure he'll do fine, but I really miss MCD in the role (RIP!!!)

Incidentally, I might have gone with another large man who can still do the physical stuff, like maybe Ving Rhames, or Clancy Brown (if he bulked up...yes, the irony of having Lex Luthor play Wilson Fisk).

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Something tells me they won't be emphasizing the martial art/strength side of the character too much lol

More likely he'll embody the crime lord/master manipulator/evil genius aspect of the character and should do it well.

Michael Chiklis would have made for a better choice in my opinion though.

Be interesting to see who they cast as Bullseye.

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
"Those are hard images to reconcile with under Michael Clarke Duncan was one of the best parts of the infamous Daredevil film"

This does not seem to be a properly grammatical sentence. I something missing after "under"?

D'onofrio is very good at whatever he does. Did any of you catch his short film about Orson Welles? Also, after watching The Lord of the Rings movies and just about any of these comic book epics of recent years, who seriously is concerned about whether he is big enough to play Kingpin? No real human being is big enough to play Kingpin. Even Michael Clarke Duncan was too small to play Kingpin and they should have used CGI to make him twice as wide at least. He was, in my opinion, a rather scrawny Kingpin. Kingpin should look more like a Sontaran from Doctor Who, only giant sized.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
well i've always hated that actor, he's an a-hole that you just wanna punch... so i guess having him as a bad guy would work

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I think he will do the role well. Unless you have a big CG budget, you have to accept that sometimes reality can't mimic fantasy.

I wonder if Bullseye will be in it, I wonder who the other members of the team will be (Sony/Fox rights might make some out of reach), I wonder who Elektra will be (it's pretty much a given at this point), and will they be able to do Avengers/Agents of Shield crossovers?

Buckshaft

Jan 12, 2014
ron1n said:
Something tells me they won't be emphasizing the martial art/strength side of the character too much lol

More likely he'll embody the crime lord/master manipulator/evil genius aspect of the character and should do it well.

Michael Chiklis would have made for a better choice in my opinion though.

Be interesting to see who they cast as Bullseye.
One thing's for sure about Bullseye.

I don't want a fuckin' costume.

Seriously, I will defend that movie. Is it shit? Yeah. Is it also pretty swift, if dated? Damn right.