Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor Hands-On - Update

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Very cool. I do look forward to this game. Looks just.. Badass! I have seen nothing negative so far, and it is just.. Hype! Pure hype. A single player focused hack and slashy action RPG in the Tolkienverse! I see no downsides~

Edit for the update: The nemesis system seems to be something quite extraordinary. It sounds like it'll be really awesome, I hope it can hold up!

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I really want to get hyped for this game. The more I see of it, the more interested I become. But last time I got hyped for a Lord of the Rings game, I got Conquest. Hopefully, I won't beat this game in a day and then turn it back into gamestop after a week.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
Ugh I love the Legendarium and all the awesome stories but I hate the idea of this game. This wraith mode thing is just not right and doesn't fit with the lore. We have so many awesome stories in the Legendarium that could be used to make a game and they have to go and make some bullshit up.

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor Hands-On - Update

Andrea Rene went hands-on Shadow of Mordor and talked to the Lead Designer.

Read Full Article

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
SpAc3man said:
Ugh I love the Legendarium and all the awesome stories but I hate the idea of this game. This wraith mode thing is just not right and doesn't fit with the lore. We have so many awesome stories in the Legendarium that could be used to make a game and they have to go and make some bullshit up.
Legendarium... That sounds like something that wishes that it could be the Silmarillion.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I'm nervous about this game. Unlike Josh Engen, I am a Lord of the Rings fan and I've seen a few things in this game that have rubbed me the wrong way slightly. Not enough to ruin the game, but enough to make my inner fan go, "Wait, what?"

However, what I'm really concerned about is the storyline, or rather, the main character. His reveal trailer was so boring, so bland, so "I've seen this entire person before" that I killed a lot of my interest in this game. However, the rest of it looks good and has a lot of promise to it. If this Nemesis system works--and I mean truly works, like they are promising that it will--then I can brush aside my reservations and jump in completely.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I'm not gonna lie, when I first saw this game, I was extremely skeptical. However, the more I see of it, the more impressed I am by it. The mechanics sounds really solid (if they work as promised that is) and the story is letting us see parts of this world that we've never really gotten a good look at. Talion himself is a bit of a question mark for me. He's the only thing so far that hasn't wowed me in any way. Still, even if the story is mediocre and the main character ends up being lame, the game looks like a lot of fun.