Editorial: Nintendo's E3 Showing is Refreshingly Fun

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Editorial: Nintendo's E3 Showing is Refreshingly Fun

While other publishers play it safe and stay predictable, Nintendo just wants to make gamers smile.

Read Full Article

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
So Sony announcing 20 or so games coming to PS4 within an hour is somehow safe and predictable compared to Nintnedo showing off not even half that in total?

softclocks

Mar 7, 2014
Dexterity said:
softclocks said:
Nintendo's not predictable?

They're publishing the same old games in bright colours.
-Splatoon is an entirely new IP.
-Hyrule Warriors is a Dynasty warriors crossover, and a zelda crossover game is super freaking rare.
-Devil's Third, a new IP that was previously a THQ game, but is now being published by Nintendo
-Project Guard, an entirely new IP being developed by Miyamoto
-Project Giant Robot, yet another entirely new IP being developed by Nintendo.

That's 4 new IPs and one crossover game. Definitely not the same old games in bright colours.

Oh and let's not forget Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Yarn Yoshi and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. If you seriously think those two games are the same as most other Nintendo published titles, then god help you.

I'm counting 9 new and fresh games.
Obviously there are going to be some new games, all of the companies had something new.

There wasn't even close to enough to warrant an article about how Nintendo's keeping it fresh where other companies are not. And look at this stuff, a fugging tower defense game...

They're releasing games obviously, but they're in no way better than any of the other companies.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Jumwa said:
Games are fun.

Gamers are depressing. As evidenced here.
Wow, truer words have never been spoken.

OT: I personally felt Nintendo did a great job presenting themselves. I've never wanted to attend E3 this badly after watching some footage from their Treehouse.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Jumwa said:
Games are fun.

*nods sadly*

OT: I was really encouraged by the whole thing. A ton of games are coming to the Wii U (I am now very happy I decided to support the system when it looked like it was about to go on life support) that I'm interested. In fact, Nintendo is setting up for a pretty good turn around. Mario Kart 8 already gave the console a well needed steroid shot in the arm, plus we have Bayonetta (+1), Smash Bros. 4, and Zelda Warriors coming later in the year, plus a whole slew of games on the horizon in 2015... Its going to be interesting to see how it affects console sales.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
great article and I'm psyched for all these new and fresh games from Nintendo.

However I am more or less depressed with the state some gamers will always put in on here when it comes to Nintendo, seriously some proper sad people.

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
Jumwa said:
Games are fun.

People seem to react to news in one of two extremes: either praise it to the heavens or condemn it to the lowest pits of Hell. This can be apparent in peoples' reaction to Nintendo, where they either say that the company is doing just fine or that Nintendo is dead/dying. Few seem to be able to admit that Nintendo is in a tough spot but that they are doing their best to get out of it.

OT: I wholeheartedly agree. Nintendo did the one thing it needed to do this year, and that was show us some fun games. Seeing Zelda U, Xenoblade Chronicles, Yoshi's Wooly World, and all the rest brought a smile to my face. Even Splatoon, which I admit I was skeptical of at first, looked really interesting once I sat back and started thinking about how its mechanics worked and what could be done.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
*applauds and wipes away a teardrop*
Ronack said:
Maybe they need to stop focusing on making us smile and start focusing on doing what e3 is actually for. You know, inform investors and attract new ones.
Nintendo is focusing on the consumers, and within the consumers lies the bottom line. Investors might not see something with great marketability that hasn't been tried and true. But that's not what Nintendo really care about, what with their cash and receivable money reserves. They can do the investing themselves, shooting darts in the wildest directions and seeing what sticks.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
y'know what

i know how sony and microsoft court investors, and i guess that's how they stay afloat, but

maybe i want to play, some freaking games???

instead of increasing shareholder value

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
T-Shirt Turtle said:
People seem to react to news in one of two extremes: either praise it to the heavens or condemn it to the lowest pits of Hell.
Well yeah. If somebody doesn't care about something, they're not exactly going to rush to the forums to praise it or condemn it. If I don't care about something I'll usually go to the thread, read a few posts, and then probably just leave if I don't feel very strongly about something involved.

I'm not exactly in a rush to tell the world about how much the time I spent playing was reasonably enjoyable but nothing terribly special.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Nintendo has always been at their best when they're the underdogs trying to catch up. That's why the Gamecube was terrific and why the Wii let so many people down. That's why, in a weird sort of way, I was actually a bit excited at how poorly the WiiU has been doing, because I thought it would be a wakeup call for Nintendo after falling asleep at the wheel during the last generation.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
weirdee said:
y'know what

i know how sony and microsoft court investors, and i guess that's how they stay afloat, but

maybe i want to play, some freaking games???

instead of increasing shareholder value
Investors (for what some help "some" they give) can go fuck themselves for all I care, they don't really give a damn about the game itself or you and me, just that the game makes them plenty of that mula that they don't have to work another day, if anything the gaming sector should always be setting focus on us, we are the ones the games are aimed at, we are the ones that come in droves and millions to buy the games aimed at us, Investors are just people who have a bit of money to throw in the pit but ultimately they want to horde more money and have that bit of juicy control, that fucks us over in the end anyway when that happens.

Sure I don't mind us gamers when it comes to kick starter but investors in the likes of EA, sony MS etc, they shouldn't be needed at all.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
yeah, Sony and MS' pressers were passable at best. They always run too long, are filled with padding, and it's not really clear what the want to do with them. Nintendo knew EXACTLY what they wanted to do. I found their 45 minutes with the Digital Event was more interesting and full content than Sony or MS had with either of their pressers that ran twice that at minimum.

Plus it helps that Nintendo basically said the mantra that too many designers have forgotten: games are about having FUN. And that is something that needs to be PLASTERED across every studio until they get it beaten into their skulls.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Since I'm a big Nintendo fan this probably doesn't mean much to you guys but this Nintendo E3 was one of the best E3's ever. Game upon game upon game upon game with gameplay, gameplay, gameplay and more gameplay.
No cinematic trailer lying about the games, no buzzwords used to make me feel better about being interested. Just games. Ya know, the reason why I watch E3.

And the best of all is that it's all live all day long. I'm watching the treehouse stream with some people in a chatroom and we are having tons of fun. Hype is building up alongside with depression because I know I won't have the money to buy most of those games I'm interested in yet I'm still happy that all those great games are being made. Then we get some more games, some devs talking about the games, more games and a freaking tournament.

The Treehouse team are just bros and I just want to watch them have fun playing games.

I don't think I've been ever this hyped in my whole life.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
nothing really sparked my interest beyond a hopefully decent starfox.

The new robot games look a lot like gimmicks with the tablet right now and devil's third looks ok but not something special.

Spalatoon looks kinda fun but I guess I don't have that whole 'wow' thing for nintendo right now. Not because they are bad it's just I'm not their target audience anymore.

I don't understand the hype for hyrule warriors though. Almost every japanese franchise has a dynasty warriors knock off at some point, why is it when nintendo does it it's a big deal?