Gaijin's War Thunder Wants to Make a Pilot Out of You

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Gaijin's War Thunder Wants to Make a Pilot Out of You

Gaijin Entertainment's combat simulator War Thunder is not only cross-platform playable, but it'll be VR-enabled with Oculus Rift as well.

Read Full Article

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Summarization, like you said: great looking game, crazy learning curve because it's a flight sim.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
weirdee said:
Summarization, like you said: great looking game, crazy learning curve because it's a flight sim.
The learning curve really isn't that steep. The arcade flight model is massively simplified, any idiot can fly in it, provided your willing to learn the absolute basics of flight and air combat (stalling, lift, thrust, altitude vs. airspeed, manoeuvres, etc). You can still stall, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone fully lose control in arcade (at least not anyone with an intact plane, it's a different story when you can see daylight through the floor and the ailerons are hanging on by a thread).

You can fly with just about any control scheme you like (except simulator battles, you HAVE to use a joystick for those), keyboard, mouse, gamepad, joystick, and you can rebind all of the controls as you like.

If you have any interest in air combat at all, I'd advise giving it a try, at least going so far as to play through the tutorials and a few random battles. It's one of the most fun games I've ever played. Arcade is absolute mayhem, the maps are so small that you see furballs that no other game can provide and it's every man for himself. Anyone can get kills in arcade.

When you're feeling confident you can move up to realistic, where the flight model is quite a bit less forgiving, the maps are much bigger (based on real battles), and pilot skill, tactics, team play and planning are key. Simulator is for the real flight sim fans. The ones that play IL-2 and the like. I don't play those. I wouldn't dream of it without a HOTAS set up and a head tracker.

War Thunder tanks are pretty fun as well, though I haven't played them nearly as much.

(I apologise for the rambling, I'm really quite fond of War Thunder.)

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
SacremPyrobolum said:
So wait, there was more than one game studio named gaijin?

EDIT: I feel this is relevant. (I don't know how to embed gifs. sorry)

an honorable fix was delivered

i imagine this thing would be a great advantage ingame, maybe a little unbalanced

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
weirdee said:
You can pick the accuracy from a mouse controlled arcadey flight game (My favorite) to the full on flight sim which practically requires a joystick and a Rift to play effectively.

Also just so the article writer knows, it's not a tank game with a flight sim attached it's the other way around, the emphasis is on the planes and the tank gameplay is really really new to the game.
SacremPyrobolum said:
So wait, there was more than one game studio named gaijin?

EDIT: I feel this is relevant. (I don't know how to embed gifs. sorry)

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/728/094/8e8.gif

A_Parked_Car

Oct 30, 2009
I have almost 500 hours in game. It is superb, no doubt about it. The grind is also quite acceptable when compared to certain other F2P games. The learning curve for arcade mode isn't too bad, but certain skills may take time to develop. They have recently introduced tanks and are going to be adding ships (what I really anticipate) sometime in the future.

If anyone here wants to give it a try I am willing to teach some people how to fly in arcade and do well. Just message me I suppose. :D

PerfectDeath

Mar 21, 2009
The match maker is pretty atrocious...

Basically they have an automated system that measures the player performance for an aircraft then adjusts its match maker level (Battle Rating / BR)

The problem is, when an aircraft's BR is lower than the kind of aircraft it would have historically find itself against (like an F6F from 1944 meeting A6M5s) then players will want to exploit this. These players do not learn any advanced combat maneuvers since they have a performance edge.

Over time, this actually gets worse because the players who stick to the underdog get better and have a significant tactical edge through their experience.

The result is the better aircraft gets a lower BR.

The F6F has a BR in realistic Battles of 3.0 the A6M5 which was a historical rival has a BR of 5.0 you can only fight aircraft within 1.33 BR. Thus, you end up with a late war fighter facing 1940 aircraft from the war's start...
That's been going on for the past few months and unchanged over major patches simply because the majority of skilled players avoid flying seal clubbing aircraft.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
while this is quite an advertisement for War thunder you got here, id like to point out that World of Tanks have aircraft flying too, albeit a worse one.

and they wont make a pilot out of me, im staying exclusive to ground conbat. and in ground combat WOT is multiple times better.

PerfectDeath

Mar 21, 2009
Strazdas said:
while this is quite an advertisement for War thunder you got here, id like to point out that World of Tanks have aircraft flying too, albeit a worse one.

and they wont make a pilot out of me, im staying exclusive to ground conbat. and in ground combat WOT is multiple times better.
Warthunder did release tanks a little too early, they don't have many maps and only two nations have tanks. The tanks damage model, while the aim is realism (no Health Points) there is still a lot of work they needed to do.

The damage modeling is far more complex than the majority of other tank games, if your shot penetrates the game then decides if the shot ricochets around the tank's insides or if there was explosive filler that causes damage. This can lead to many one-shot kills. Heck, even if you don't penetrate your shot can cause 'spalling' where pieces of the armour on the inside will crack off with enough force to injure crew.

Personally I would like to see warthunder make more of their large maps vs the tight WoT arena type maps, weapons have realistic penetration ranges so it gets to be pretty overkill when you toss a tiger in a cage with an IS. Sudden death knife fight results.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
PerfectDeath said:
Warthunder did release tanks a little too early, they don't have many maps and only two nations have tanks. The tanks damage model, while the aim is realism (no Health Points) there is still a lot of work they needed to do.

The damage modeling is far more complex than the majority of other tank games, if your shot penetrates the game then decides if the shot ricochets around the tank's insides or if there was explosive filler that causes damage. This can lead to many one-shot kills. Heck, even if you don't penetrate your shot can cause 'spalling' where pieces of the armour on the inside will crack off with enough force to injure crew.

Personally I would like to see warthunder make more of their large maps vs the tight WoT arena type maps, weapons have realistic penetration ranges so it gets to be pretty overkill when you toss a tiger in a cage with an IS. Sudden death knife fight results.
as far as maps go i only saw 3, however in WOT you do have limited acess to maps when you are first couple levels as well, so it may or may not be that. i never got to tier 2 (yet anyway, i got a friend that loves it and we play together sometime, so ill get there eventually).
as for the all other complains yeah i agree that the damage model complexity there often leaves too much for random chance and simply drains the fun there. odf rather have a controlled HP bar style. i always liked HP anyway (in all games).

as far as map size, yes i think WT can outdo WOT in that area. see, WOT runs on a very old engine which means it cant physically make larger maps without breaking the game. WT can exploit that and instead offer large maps with sniping (also, fix sniping damnit[footnote]if a tank is on the edge of the hill its impossible to aim at it. if you aim at itt, you aim too low, if you aim just above it your aiming at far distance and it aims too high, making these tanks inpossible to aim at without relocation, and relocation means you have to soak in thier damage, which often in WT means simply dieing.[/footnote]) and the like. however theres still a lot of work to do. like they only now made minimap at least partly readable, still notwhere close to what it was in WOT though. also i understand the the color choice is there probably because of colorblind people, but i prefered the color markers of WOT way more. i know that colorblind people in WOT have been turning thme blue with mods before colorblind mode was introduced so i guess WT didnt leave us an option and turned us all colorblind.

PerfectDeath

Mar 21, 2009
Strazdas said:
as far as maps go i only saw 3, however in WOT you do have limited acess to maps when you are first couple levels as well, so it may or may not be that. i never got to tier 2 (yet anyway, i got a friend that loves it and we play together sometime, so ill get there eventually).
as for the all other complains yeah i agree that the damage model complexity there often leaves too much for random chance and simply drains the fun there. odf rather have a controlled HP bar style. i always liked HP anyway (in all games).

as far as map size, yes i think WT can outdo WOT in that area. see, WOT runs on a very old engine which means it cant physically make larger maps without breaking the game. WT can exploit that and instead offer large maps with sniping (also, fix sniping damnit[footnote]if a tank is on the edge of the hill its impossible to aim at it. if you aim at itt, you aim too low, if you aim just above it your aiming at far distance and it aims too high, making these tanks inpossible to aim at without relocation, and relocation means you have to soak in thier damage, which often in WT means simply dieing.[/footnote]) and the like. however theres still a lot of work to do. like they only now made minimap at least partly readable, still notwhere close to what it was in WOT though. also i understand the the color choice is there probably because of colorblind people, but i prefered the color markers of WOT way more. i know that colorblind people in WOT have been turning thme blue with mods before colorblind mode was introduced so i guess WT didnt leave us an option and turned us all colorblind.
There are no hidden maps, there is one map that is reserved for Simulator Battle (Kursk) which is pretty open with rolling hills and many players applaud it as a step in the right direction. But then they get Karelia on sim battle which is close range spawn camping...

On the topic of the minimap. It is horrible for Sim battle which has no target icons but the minimap will mark taks you would have spotted so it gets rid of the tension when the mode does all these things to reduce your view and detection of the enemy and then has this radar that proximity detects enemies.

But anyway, my biggest concern with Warthunder is the match maker's use of Battle Ratings to measure what a vehicle should combat. It uses player performance.
So, it would be like in Warthunder the majority of players all jump on the Tiger tank because, its a tiger tank. But they don't get how to use it so they do poorly. One patch later it gets a lower match maker score, more players jump into it to abuse this, they don't get how to use the tank either, one patch later and its match maker is even lower.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
PerfectDeath said:
There are no hidden maps, there is one map that is reserved for Simulator Battle (Kursk) which is pretty open with rolling hills and many players applaud it as a step in the right direction. But then they get Karelia on sim battle which is close range spawn camping...

On the topic of the minimap. It is horrible for Sim battle which has no target icons but the minimap will mark taks you would have spotted so it gets rid of the tension when the mode does all these things to reduce your view and detection of the enemy and then has this radar that proximity detects enemies.

But anyway, my biggest concern with Warthunder is the match maker's use of Battle Ratings to measure what a vehicle should combat. It uses player performance.
So, it would be like in Warthunder the majority of players all jump on the Tiger tank because, its a tiger tank. But they don't get how to use it so they do poorly. One patch later it gets a lower match maker score, more players jump into it to abuse this, they don't get how to use the tank either, one patch later and its match maker is even lower.
minimap should only show you and your teammates in simulator (communicated via radio supposedly and dissapear if radioman is dead). however on arcade battles minimap is also useless. granted they finally managed to get some icons on there (still horrible but at least visible), but thats about it. Also no ability to resize minimap + large monitor = your going to need binoculars just for minimap.

the matchmaking does sound horrible to the point of completely broken. i personally like WOT stance on matchmaking. each player is valued equally based on tank hes playing and tank weights are static. if your a bad player, your going to be dieing, if your good, your rewarded for your good playing with your game. tanks are ideally on equal footing, the true decider is players skill.
I personally hate skill based MM, this means that no matter how good you are your still going to be matched with same skill players and means your going to do average results no matter whether your good or bad.

PerfectDeath

Mar 21, 2009
Strazdas said:
minimap should only show you and your teammates in simulator (communicated via radio supposedly and dissapear if radioman is dead). however on arcade battles minimap is also useless. granted they finally managed to get some icons on there (still horrible but at least visible), but thats about it. Also no ability to resize minimap + large monitor = your going to need binoculars just for minimap.

the matchmaking does sound horrible to the point of completely broken. i personally like WOT stance on matchmaking. each player is valued equally based on tank hes playing and tank weights are static. if your a bad player, your going to be dieing, if your good, your rewarded for your good playing with your game. tanks are ideally on equal footing, the true decider is players skill.
I personally hate skill based MM, this means that no matter how good you are your still going to be matched with same skill players and means your going to do average results no matter whether your good or bad.
If you can 'see' an enemy in Sim battles a red marking appears on the minimap. It used to show them through terrain, might still. But generally it gives you proximity detection if you can squint hard enough to spot the red icon on the low res minimap.

Then there is the rendering range. I've seen a tank on a hill, scoped in to line up a shot only to see it vanish, then reappear a few seconds later...
This is a huge problem for long ranged engagements and for close air support as planes cannot spot tanks until they are close enough to the ground. Which is dangerous. =P

This is why the majority of testers voted to not launch tanks, it wasn't finished enough.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
PerfectDeath said:
through terrain, might still. But generally it gives you proximity detection if you can squint hard enough to spot the red icon on the low res minimap.

Then there is the rendering range. I've seen a tank on a hill, scoped in to line up a shot only to see it vanish, then reappear a few seconds later...
This is a huge problem for long ranged engagements and for close air support as planes cannot spot tanks until they are close enough to the ground. Which is dangerous. =P

This is why the majority of testers voted to not launch tanks, it wasn't finished enough.
personally i have not experienced rendering range issues like these, but then i was playing it on a machine that is above your average gaming device so it could just be that my GPU powered through the hickups. if this is common problem then i agree that game shouldnt be launched yet. Dont know about planes, planes dont interest me, neither WOWP nor WOT.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Damn you and you're titles. Now I have this song about sex stuck in my head.
<youtube=ZSS5dEeMX64>