Sunset Overdrive - It's About Fun, Not Realism

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Sunset Overdrive - It's About Fun, Not Realism

We talk to the developer of Sunset Overdrive at the Microsoft booth at E3.

Read Full Article

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Sunset Overdrive is weird for me, it just looks so.. Boring! Everything is focused on being fun and colorful and wacky, and it just becomes monotonous.. Too much of a good thing I suppose.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
This has me excited and a bit hyped but more or less adds to the collection of reasons for me to grab an Xb1 over a PS4 since Sony didn't really try this year to grab me, Nintendo and MS did in the end though.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Looks like it combines elements of Ratchet & Clank, Dead Rising and something like Jet Set Radio.

Might turn out to be a good one and Insomniac does generally make some solid games, but I don't know, the gameplay shown so far is not really making me feel it.

VikingKing

Sep 5, 2012
This is Infamous Second Son all over again. Really good looking game, only on a single console.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
You dropped the ball Sony, This should've been ours!

Here's hoping it comes to us on the Piss poor eventually ala Mass Effect 2 style.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
God dammit I love Insomniac games but I can't get this because I have made a choice to never buy the 'Bone for 5-6 years or until Microsoft shows some semblance of humility.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
vallorn said:
God dammit I love Insomniac games but I can't get this because I have made a choice to never buy the 'Bone for 5-6 years or until Microsoft shows some semblance of humility.
Just playing devil's advocate here, but I would argue that them dropping the Kinect and the price would be a pretty humbling step for them.

OT: Considering how much of a niche Saints Row carved out, I'm surprised more games aren't going for that wacky, over-the-top appeal.

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
Hardly any games try to implement any realism. Far Cry 2 and GTA IV are the most recent two to spring to mind. Most others are either instant-gratification arcade games or set in worlds far removed from our own.

So what makes this game so special for focusing on fun over realism?

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Avaholic03 said:
vallorn said:
Just playing devil's advocate here, but I would argue that them dropping the Kinect and the price would be a pretty humbling step for them.

OT: Considering how much of a niche Saints Row carved out, I'm surprised more games aren't going for that wacky, over-the-top appeal.
I won't lie it was nice but it doesn't really counterbalance the "If you don't have an internet connection we have a console for you, It's the Xbox 360!" stuff they did when they were trying to justify the crap they were forcing into the console.

Plus I don't believe for a moment that Microsoft wouldn't bring all that restrictive crap back onto the 'bone if they could do it without us getting pissed off again. Their attitude and that of their defenders has been that we somehow ruined their "Vision" for the thing and that's not a humble attitude at all.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Roofstone said:
Sunset Overdrive is weird for me, it just looks so.. Boring! Everything is focused on being fun and colorful and wacky, and it just becomes monotonous.. Too much of a good thing I suppose.
This is pretty similar to my own reaction. I get the fun and kooky atmosphere, but the gameplay just doesn't look strong enough or interesting enough. I've only seen a couple of trailers and I'm already getting sort of put off by the humourous approach. I could see Sunset working as a short downloadable title but I'm even less sold now than I used to be on it being a full fledged game.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
Say alot about the last few years of gaming when the critics react to a game about fun in this way; like some absurd and unseen phenomenon.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Flammablezeus said:
Hardly any games try to implement any realism. Far Cry 2 and GTA IV are the most recent two to spring to mind. Most others are either instant-gratification arcade games or set in worlds far removed from our own.

So what makes this game so special for focusing on fun over realism?
I took the fun over realism comment to mostly apply to the artistic direction. It isn't trying to LOOK realistic, let alone act it.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Roofstone said:
I think your gonna be right. Previews writers seem very meh on it, controls are a little janky and honestly watching it it almost feels plain. Whacky art doesn't make a fun or amusing game. Outside of the color scheme everything looks dull to play.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
Roofstone said:
I whole heartedly agree. I think with all of the colors and in-your-face attitude it makes the game feel like it's trying too hard. Like, it does everything in its power to prove to you that it's "fun." The thing is, with everything being thrown at you, it's gonna get tiresome really fast. Initially, it will probably be lots of fun, but it's gonna get old by the first hour. Maybe if they had dialed back the wackiness, it would be much more effective and less monotonous as the game progresses. But as I see it now, again, it looks like it's trying too hard.

Chasman0810

Dec 6, 2013
I hope this game isn't co-op only. I also hope this game won't reference that it's a video game over and over. I hate that and I hate when the devs think they're so clever when they do that. If neither of those things happen, I might have to buy on Xbox One or wait six months when this "exclusive" is ported to PC.