Nosgoth Hands On - This is Not Legacy of Kain

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Nosgoth Hands On - This is Not Legacy of Kain

Team up with other players to hunt down humans or vampires in Nosgoth, a game within the Legacy of Kain universe while being fairly unrelated to it.

Read Full Article

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
*sigh* Still no idea why this was deemed a good idea. Unfortunetly, not buying it is a double edged sword. There's the possiblity that they'll go "yeah that was stupid, lets make a proper LoK game" or "Look, look the franchise is unprofitable, lets bury it".

I mean who is this for? Fans hate it because...it's a multiplayer "moba/3rd person" shooter affair, and people who wernt fans ain't gonna be interested in it in the first place.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Yeah, I'm going to file this away with Elder Scrolls Online and SWTOR in the "not what I asked for at all" category of franchise mismanagement.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
It's a decent timewaster, like any other competitive multiplayer game. Sometimes just not being CoD is enough to give a game an edge, and this is definitely not CoD. It has atmosphere, which is much more than I can say for a lot of multiplayer games nowadays.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
elvor0 said:
*sigh* Still no idea why this was deemed a good idea. Unfortunetly, not buying it is a double edged sword. There's the possiblity that they'll go "yeah that was stupid, lets make a proper LoK game" or "Look, look the franchise is unprofitable, lets bury it".

I mean who is this for? Fans hate it because...it's a multiplayer "moba/3rd person" shooter affair, and people who wernt fans ain't gonna be interested in it in the first place.
my guess is they had the same thing as machinegames
they wanted to make their own thing, but couldn't pull it off on their own or something like that so they got a hold of an already grounded IP to get some light, so to say
that's what I think anyway

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
"Hey guys, I have an idea! Let's take a beloved series that hasn't seen a new installment in awhile and...

...Get rid of the platforming in Banjo Kazooie in favor of vehicles!"
...Make a new Breath of Fire as a Free-to-Play iPhone game!"
...Try and shoe-horn in constant online social elements into SimCity!"
...Reboot Dante into an "edgier" version that mocks the version fans actually like!"
...Turn Syndicate into a generic FPS with none of the rich world-building of the original!"
...Turn XCom into a FPS set during the 60s!"
...Take StarFox out of the Arwing and make it like Zelda on a planet of dinosaurs!"
...Make Bionic Commando a gritty reboot where the arm is actually his dead wife!"
...Dumb Ninja Gaiden 3 down for more casual players!"
...Utterly destroy the in-game economy for Diablo III with a real-money auction house!"
...Make Sonic the Hedgehog make-out with a human chick!"
...Turn Dead Space 3 into a multi-player dudebro action shooter game!"
...Make a new Legacy of Kain game that has none of the elements people liked about the originals!"

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Well, to be fair to the game, it does look pretty nice for a free-to-play game. I somewhat question the choice of gameplay genre, but it does kind of fit with some of the more technological stuff present in the series. Asides from that, it doesn't have the "Legacy of Kain" moniker, so while it does take place in the same setting, they are openly acknowledging that its connection to Kain's story is tangential at best.

As for another "real" Legacy of Kain game... to be honest, the series is pretty much wrapped up. Blood Omen 2 resolved the Hylden storyline already. The only remaining loose end is the Elder God, and I just cannot imagine them doing another game without Tony Jay to voice him.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Trishbot said:
"Hey guys, I have an idea! Let's take a beloved series that hasn't seen a new installment in awhile and...

...Get rid of the platforming in Banjo Kazooie in favor of vehicles!"
...Make a new Breath of Fire as a Free-to-Play iPhone game!"
...Try and shoe-horn in constant online social elements into SimCity!"
...Reboot Dante into an "edgier" version that mocks the version fans actually like!"
...Turn Syndicate into a generic FPS with none of the rich world-building of the original!"
...Turn XCom into a FPS set during the 60s!"
...Take StarFox out of the Arwing and make it like Zelda on a planet of dinosaurs!"
...Make Bionic Commando a gritty reboot where the arm is actually his dead wife!"
...Dumb Ninja Gaiden 3 down for more casual players!"
...Utterly destroy the in-game economy for Diablo III with a real-money auction house!"
...Make Sonic the Hedgehog make-out with a human chick!"
...Turn Dead Space 3 into a multi-player dudebro action shooter game!"
...Make a new Legacy of Kain game that has none of the elements people liked about the originals!"
Pretty much summing up why this was a bad idea. Some people just have dumb ideas and they get funding despite the fact that it will bomb like hell. Feh... What a waste.

Mahorfeus said:
As for another "real" Legacy of Kain game... to be honest, the series is pretty much wrapped up. Blood Omen 2 resolved the Hylden storyline already. The only remaining loose end is the Elder God, and I just cannot imagine them doing another game without Tony Jay to voice him.
Of course, that's assuming the creators aren't nudging Blood Omen 2 out of canon (I wouldn't) or that that future wasn't made redundant by one of Nosgoth's numerous changes in history. Even still, the hellishly-ridiculously-supremely pain-in-the-ass hard segment of Soul Reaver 2 where the demons - the Hylden - are fucking everywhere is probably there after Kain's time ruling during Soul Reaver. But you are right that the loss of Tony Jay is a massive hurdle in the completion of the Legacy of Kain series. Without him, it may not be possible to handle the most grimly-sophisticated-sounding eldritch abomination ever.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
elvor0 said:

Yep. This game is just odd. I have zero interest in it, and I cry for the LoK universe.

Stabinbac

Nov 25, 2010
Want more Kain and Raziel. Just hours of them rambling on about crap. I would have preferred an animated series over a useless unrelated game like this.

How about just a couple hours of Kain and Raziel stroking my ears with their voices while I masturbate?

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Another game series dug up just to get buried again. No tears from me though as I wasn't really a big fan and I'm still mourning Parasite Eve.

elvor0 said:

Psyonix didn't screw LoK, LoK screwed LoK.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
The sad thing is that the game is actually good and that the devs actually tried to fit this all with the lore and there are a lot of references to LoK, but it will be judged solely on the basis that it's not like the others.
And hey, I'll take this over Dead Sun any day of the fucking week.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Mahorfeus said:
Well, Kain did kill the Hylden General in Blood Omen 2, however, that doesn't necessarilly mean the Hylden are completely defeated. Kain still needs to restore the pillars as well as destroy the Elder God. You're right that that may be a difficult proposition without Tony Jay though.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
FalloutJack said:
Trishbot said:
Of course, that's assuming the creators aren't nudging Blood Omen 2 out of canon (I wouldn't) or that that future wasn't made redundant by one of Nosgoth's numerous changes in history. Even still, the hellishly-ridiculously-supremely pain-in-the-ass hard segment of Soul Reaver 2 where the demons - the Hylden - are fucking everywhere is probably there after Kain's time ruling during Soul Reaver. But you are right that the loss of Tony Jay is a massive hurdle in the completion of the Legacy of Kain series. Without him, it may not be possible to handle the most grimly-sophisticated-sounding eldritch abomination ever.
Blood Omen 2 is canon. Current maps in Nosgoth beta are cities that were mentioned in BO2 (Freeport, Valeholm, Provance) and a keep on the edge of Meridian. The setup takes after Soul Reaver though, with four current vampire classes belonging to SR clans.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
RealRT said:
FalloutJack said:
Trishbot said:
Blood Omen 2 is canon. Current maps in Nosgoth beta are cities that were mentioned in BO2 (Freeport, Valeholm, Provance) and a keep on the edge of Meridian. The setup takes after Soul Reaver though, with four current vampire classes belonging to SR clans.
Just checking. There was some contention on this somewhere. (Probably in the land of tropes.)

OT: Thing is, this is a terrible idea. Do you know what humans have been in Nosgoth from day one? Cannon fodder. Vae Victus, Kain's own family motto, is the plight of all humanity on Nosgoth from the very ancient times to the very bleak future. From the very first of the game, what happens? Kain is slain as a human. What does he do? Kill more humans. Alot more. Where are they from there? Relegated to the servants and slaves of vampires, Hylden, and - later revealed - the Elder God. I don't think Nosgoth has ever had a nice day in existence, and I don't think any human in it has ever received better than a raw deal upon the wheel of fate. Why, then, would they be considered equals of supernatural entities who - in this game - would be plentiful and monstrously powerful. Kain at the beginning of his unlife was more powerful than any human that was not a part of the Circle of Nine, the great Pillar Guardians, and he beat them all anyeay.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
FalloutJack said:
RealRT said:
FalloutJack said:
Trishbot said:
Just checking. There was some contention on this somewhere. (Probably in the land of tropes.)

OT: Thing is, this is a terrible idea. Do you know what humans have been in Nosgoth from day one? Cannon fodder. Vae Victus, Kain's own family motto, is the plight of all humanity on Nosgoth from the very ancient times to the very bleak future. From the very first of the game, what happens? Kain is slain as a human. What does he do? Kill more humans. Alot more. Where are they from there? Relegated to the servants and slaves of vampires, Hylden, and - later revealed - the Elder God. I don't think Nosgoth has ever had a nice day in existence, and I don't think any human in it has ever received better than a raw deal upon the wheel of fate. Why, then, would they be considered equals of supernatural entities who - in this game - would be plentiful and monstrously powerful. Kain at the beginning of his unlife was more powerful than any human that was not a part of the Circle of Nine, the great Pillar Guardians, and he beat them all anyeay.
Humanity were actually more villains, than just cannon fodder - they genocided the vamps in BO, ditto SR2 (even the vampire-hating Raziel notices the atrocities of their crusade), serve Hylden in BO2 and Moebius in SR2 and Defiance. They are small potatoes compared to Hylden or The Elder, but they are still a threat.

As I said, the game is actually good and even though I'm a LoK fan for quite a while, I can't help but feel sorry for the devs who obviously put a lot of time and thought into the game and get their labor of love bashed for not being the kind of game fans want. Square Enix deserves all the bashing, they were the ones who made the decision to make it into that kind of game, not Psyonix, they were just hired to make the game. And the game is good. It is.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I've been fairly unimpressed by what I've seen of it, I wanted to give it a chance despite my dislike for it when it was announced. I'm still completely unsure why they thought this was a good idea when I'm pretty sure Square Enix knew that the game the fans wanted was one that continued the story from Defiance. And that's the problem with Nosgoth, not getting it will most likely make Square think there's no interest in the franchise anymore and we'll never see a sequel to Defiance.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Stabinbac said:
Want more Kain and Raziel. Just hours of them rambling on about crap. I would have preferred an animated series over a useless unrelated game like this.

How about just a couple hours of Kain and Raziel stroking my ears with their voices while I masturbate?
Don't forget Voradaor and Janos Audron! The Elder God too though sadly his VO has passed away.

And yeah stop teasing already and make another LOK game, it was one of the best PS1/PS2 series out there.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
I've been fairly unimpressed by what I've seen of it, I wanted to give it a chance despite my dislike for it when it was announced. I'm still completely unsure why they thought this was a good idea when I'm pretty sure Square Enix knew that the game the fans wanted was one that continued the story from Defiance. And that's the problem with Nosgoth, not getting it will most likely make Square think there's no interest in the franchise anymore and we'll never see a sequel to Defiance.
They were going to make a singleplayer action-adventure game and Nosgoth was supposed to be a companion game to it, but the singleplayer project was a complete betrayal and a spit in the face of any fan of the LoK series, it got scrapped and Nosgoth stayed.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
RealRT said:
FalloutJack said:
RealRT said:
FalloutJack said:
Trishbot said:

Humanity were actually more villains, than just cannon fodder - they genocided the vamps in BO, ditto SR2 (even the vampire-hating Raziel notices the atrocities of their crusade), serve Hylden in BO2 and Moebius in SR2 and Defiance. They are small potatoes compared to Hylden or The Elder, but they are still a threat.
True true, but to my rememberence, was that not while the vampires were still..more traditional? In this game the vampires are all their highly mutated versions, and it appears to include anochronistically, the vampire clans. If the vampires are the super powerful mutants, humans wouldn't stand a chance.