Apple CEO Tim Cook Described to be Less Hands-On Compared to Steve Jobs

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Apple CEO Tim Cook Described to be Less Hands-On Compared to Steve Jobs

In a profile piece, it states that current Apple CEO Tim Cook has a less hands-on approach to product development compared to Steve Jobs.

In a profile piece published by the New York Times [http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/15/technology/tim-cook-making-apple-his-own.html?_r=1] today regarding Apple CEO Tim Cook, it offers us an insight on the CEO's commitment to environmental issues and human rights, but also delves into how Cook's handling of the company differs from former CEO Steve Jobs. Cook, who took leadership of Apple nearly three years ago, is said to not only be "intensely private," but is described as less hands-on when it comes to product development compared to his predecessor who's known to be quit finicky when it comes to Apple's conception of devices.

According to people involved in the project who spoke under condition of anonymity, Cook is said to be content to hand over responsibilities of its long-rumored "iWatch" wearable device [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.841313-Report-Apple-Eyeing-Solar-Wireless-Charging-for-Unannounced-Smartwatch], to other executives, which include the likes of design chief, Jony Ive. Instead, Cook is said to be more involved in the smartwatch's "broader implications," that include its ability to monitor a person's vital signs, and heart rate, which should help the user's health, and limiting doctor appointments. Interestingly, the unnamed sources also say that the iWatch is said to be targeting a fourth quarter release later this year.

However, this doesn't mean that Cook is involved at the design process at all. One of the devices Cook pushed for was the iPad Mini, which was said to be a device Jobs believed didn't have a market. Robert A. Iger, chief executive of Disney and a member of Apple's board said that Cook "thought the world would love a smaller and less expensive tablet."

Some Apple critics might point out that since Steve Jobs passed away, the company's products have waned when it comes to innovation. Could this be a case of Cook not dipping his hand in the development pool enough? Or is this a case of other tech companies catching up and introducing their own innovations that Apple might not have foreseen -- regardless if Jobs was still commandeering the ship or not?

In Apple-related happenings, images of the new iPhone 6 have leaked out and shows the rumored 5.5-inch model [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135403-Report-iPhone-6-Images-Leak-Out-Shows-4-7-and-5-5-inch-Models] that should bring it up to speed to its competitors' screen size among others.

Source: TechCrunch [http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/15/technology/tim-cook-making-apple-his-own.html?_r=1]

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
What can I say? Some people do jobs. Other people cook. And cooks do not like to share jobs.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
And there's me hoping Cook would improve Apple Turnover. Ho-hum.

"Quit Finicky"?

Grape_Nuts

Mar 23, 2011
It's definitely the case of other tech companies being more innovative. The grass really is greener on the other side.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
So what's this about an iwatch? Why would they want that, I mean iphones were a big reason people stopped wearing watches.

This is like skinning the corpse of your enemy and wearing it yourself.

LosButcher

May 19, 2009
Cook has no vision, so dipping his hand into the "development pool" would not make no difference. Like most CEOs of large companies, he looks at the market rather than the product. So they will always be behind, but others will take their place :)

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Well to be fair to Tim Cook, it's extremely difficult to find a tech savvy high functioning psychopath like Steve Jobs. Psychopaths are rare enough as it is.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
Well to be fair to Tim Cook, it's extremely difficult to find a tech savvy high functioning psychopath like Steve Jobs. Psychopaths are rare enough as it is.
Did you read his biography?
It's quite interesting, fascinating man.

After I read it I was certain that Apple would not survive without him in the long run.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Some Apple critics might point out that since Steve Jobs passed away, the company's products have waned when it comes to innovation.
They waned when it comes to innovation long before Jobs died. Unless being an effective marketing machine qualifies as being innovative.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Vivi22 said:
Some Apple critics might point out that since Steve Jobs passed away, the company's products have waned when it comes to innovation.
They waned when it comes to innovation long before Jobs died. Unless being an effective marketing machine qualifies as being innovative.
I'd say that's innovative. As much as I dislike Apple products, you'd be hard pressed to argue they didn't innovate in marketing to make their products "cool". Cool enough to sell every iteration of iWhatever to loyal fans. In the business world, that kind of innovation is way more important than, for example, Sega Dreamcast type innovation that's really cool but nobody wants to buy it.

KaZuYa

Mar 23, 2013
Not much to do I guess, I mean Steve Jobs already did the all work by stealing the company from those who did the hard work.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Was anybody really expecting this guy to be exactly like Steve Jobs? Very clearly the man isn't him, and it would be very silly of him to attempt it. I think it's a good thing for their new CEO to be secure enough in himself to not try and be just a carbon copy of Steve Jobs.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
so new apple CEO isn a control freak jerk? good to know i guess. maybe they will make some good decisions eventually?

Dark Knifer said:
So what's this about an iwatch? Why would they want that, I mean iphones were a big reason people stopped wearing watches.

This is like skinning the corpse of your enemy and wearing it yourself.
mobile phones are not even in the competition with watches. smartwatch is probably the only thing that can actually replace them.

fenrizz said:
Did you read his biography?
It's quite interesting, fascinating man.

After I read it I was certain that Apple would not survive without him in the long run.
if by interesting you mean "damn i never thought a man can be that disgusting" then yes.