Game of Thrones Season 4 Director Hints at Daenerys' Future in Season 5

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Game of Thrones Season 4 Director Hints at Daenerys' Future in Season 5

Game of Thrones Season 4 director Alex Graves hints at Daenerys Stormborn's future for the next season.

Another season of HBO's amazing Game of Thrones has come and gone, and while the wait will be torture to fans (like me), you can expect us to nibble at any info that's out there provided it's not too spoilerish. Well, that's just what we have here. In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/game-thrones-season-5-goes-712195], Season 4 director Alex Graves hints at Daenery's (Emilia Clarke) future in Season 5.

If you've seen Season 4's season finale, The Children [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/tvrecaps/gameofthrones/11740-Game-of-Thrones-Season-Finale-Review-Sitting-on-the-Throne], I doubt that what's revealed below will be considered spoilers. But nonetheless, proceed with caution all the same.

The casting of the two men who come to her at court was key. You are very much setting up next year, laying out that she is now alone. Everyone she had on the way up has been banished or sent away. She is in a very, very dark place that's going to lead into next year. [Emilia Clarke] did a great job, as always.

So, with her dragons chained and such, I expect we'll see a less commanding come next year. Those planning on talking about the TV series, please refrain from posting book spoilers. You've been warned.

For more Game of Thrones reading, check out how Westeros would look like if it was based in America. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135466-Heres-What-Game-of-Thrones-Map-Would-Look-Like-If-It-Was-Based-in-America] In regards to Season 5, what do you expect will happen to Daenerys? And will she be able to fully control her dragons at all soon? When will she finally march to King's Landing? Hopefully, all these questions will finally be answered when the next season rolls in.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/game-thrones-season-5-goes-712195]

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
They have audio books for the lazy people who don't like to read. If you don't want spoilers don't go on the internet.

pluizig

Jan 11, 2010
Who are the two men the come to her at court?

I know we're not spoiling, but as they aren't cast yet and show watchers can't really know what their first-name initials mean, I think it's safe to post this, as it won't spoil anything.

Having read A Dance With Dragons, the only uncast characters I can think of coming to Daenerys' court are 'V' and 'Q'. As far as I know, there hasn't been any indication that they were included in season 5 (if at all), so this is exiting news!

kanetsb

Sep 13, 2007
Wow... This is some seriously ignorant text right here. How about just reading the book?

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
It wouldn't surprise me if Daenerys never made it to Westeros. I mean, it's not like GRRM is a stranger to building up a plotline over a whole book (or two) and bring it to a swift, brutal and (to the character it revolves around) unsatisfying end.

cyvaris

May 10, 2011
Victarion? Victarion please!

At least that would spice up what appears to be a very dull plot going forward.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Maybe Drogon outgrows his rebellious phase, like most stroppy teenagers, and comes back to her. She now seems more interested in freeing slaves at the moment, like a sexy version of Abe Lincoln. So maybe Westeros has to wait.

For me, GoT is now all about Stannis. Ever since Blackwater Bay, Stannis has been the man!

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
wooty said:
For me, GoT is now all about Stannis. Ever since Blackwater Bay, Stannis has been the Mannis!
Fixed it for you.

OT: Wait, isn't Barristan still around? And Grey Worm? And that slave woman? Did I miss her sending them away or something?

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Saviordd1 said:
wooty said:
For me, GoT is now all about Stannis. Ever since Blackwater Bay, Stannis has been the Mannis!
Fixed it for you.

Anyway, some of the wording of this article just seems odd to me. I don't really understand what it's trying to tell us.

Dandres

Apr 7, 2013
I predict that she will return to Westeros with whoever is left from house Targaryen. Not to take the iron throne but to save Westeros from the others. She will subsequently die in the battle but will be known as the savior of Westeros.

Also Stannis is awesome.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I can tell you what's upcoming for Dany in the series.
FUCKING NOTHING
Nothing will happen in Mereen for another 1-2 seasons apart from the finale of one of them when something does happen only to be left on a cliffhanger which George really needs to get around to resolving.
But yeah, show only people, get ready to skip those scenes because hoo boy it's gonna be a dull ride.

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
A warning about not posting spoilers from books that are years old? No wonder I rarely visit the site any more.
How about people who HAVEN'T read the books be warned not read such articles, instead of punishing the people who have been discussing this stuff for years and who might want to speculate on how the show might further stray from the novels.

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
I wonder if they're going to stretch out Daenarys' proclamation emancipation boogaloo for the next couple of seasons.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
It wouldn't surprise me if Daenerys never made it to Westeros. I mean, it's not like GRRM is a stranger to building up a plotline over a whole book (or two) and bring it to a swift, brutal and (to the character it revolves around) unsatisfying end.
My speculation is that she DOES make it to Westeros with more than 1 of her dragons and then Bran gets to control one of them due to his worg power. Otherwise Bran's plot would be completely pointless.

hazabaza1 said:
I can tell you what's upcoming for Dany in the series.
FUCKING NOTHING
Nothing will happen in Mereen for another 1-2 seasons apart from the finale of one of them when something does happen only to be left on a cliffhanger which George really needs to get around to resolving.
But yeah, show only people, get ready to skip those scenes because hoo boy it's gonna be a dull ride.
LOL so fucking true. Unless George release his book before the new season and the new season incorporate some of the plot from the new book, it's gonna be a dull season for Dany. Most of the interesting parts can be shown in 30 minutes, the finale and the boring plot leading to the finale.

Apr 5, 2008
I have a question here. Where did the end of Season 4 happen in the timeline of the books? Does it coincide neatly with the end of Book 4? Without any specifics, are there things from Book 5 we've already seen, or from Book 4 we have yet to see? What I'm getting at is trying to work out how the fourth season lines up (chronologically) with the books published to date.

I understand there's still material for the TV show for at least another year, maybe two and that Book 6 is being written currently. Being that much closer to the point at which the show exhausts the currently published books raises the spectre of what will happen to it thereafter. I would love to know what plans are being thought up for that possible eventuality.

Hyperme

May 19, 2011
KingsGambit said:
I have a question here. Where did the end of Season 4 happen in the timeline of the books? Does it coincide neatly with the end of Book 4? Without any specifics, are there things from Book 5 we've already seen, or from Book 4 we have yet to see? What I'm getting at is trying to work out how the fourth season lines up (chronologically) with the books published to date.

I understand there's still material for the TV show for at least another year, maybe two and that Book 6 is being written currently. Being that much closer to the point at which the show exhausts the currently published books raises the spectre of what will happen to it thereafter. I would love to know what plans are being thought up for that possible eventuality.
Currently the show covers almost up to the end of A Storm Swords, (book 3), but has also covered a little of A Feast for Crows (book 4) and A Dance with Dragons (book 5). Events in Feast and the first half of Dance happen concurrently, which should fill out a season. Then the second half of Dance might not. However, Bran and Sansa's plots are nearing the end of the published material. Since GRRM writes at a, um, steady pace, he's given the show runners the outline of the final two book, The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring so the adapting can continue.

Apr 5, 2008
While I'm here and to avoid the need to start an entirely new thread, I have some questions about the finale that would be great to have more info on. I don't mind if the answers come from the books or the show but should be spoiler tagged. Major finale spoilers below:

1. How in the Seven Kingdoms did Stannis get an army north of the wall without us or anyone else noticing it? It beggars belief.
2. What are the Ironborn up to at the end, since we didn't see anything about them for a while?
3. Am I to assume that Varys decided to leave with Tyrion? If so, why did he decide that after the bells pealed? Why is he leaving at all? I still don't understand why Littlefinger left either, considering his plot remained uncovered. (Was it purely for Sansa's sake?)
4. This one is more opinion than straight answer, but why didn't Arya end the big guy's suffering? I mean he fought to protect her. I got that her feelings toward him were mixed/ambivalent/confused. Why would she sail to Braavos instead of try to find her remaining brother/sister? Castle Black was the logical place for her to go.
5. Was Tywin lying when he said he would never let Tyrion be executed, or was it the truth (and therefore he lied to Cersei earlier)? I expect he was, probably to save his own life.
6. Ygritte :-( That's a comment, not a question!
7. Shae :-(
8. Am I right in thinking that the current big players now include the Boltons and Martells? I heard about the casting for next season so already kinda have an idea here.
9. Valar Morghulis.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
KingsGambit said:
While I'm here and to avoid the need to start an entirely new thread, I have some questions about the finale that would be great to have more info on. I don't mind if the answers come from the books or the show but should be spoiler tagged. Major finale spoilers below:

1. How in the Seven Kingdoms did Stannis get an army north of the wall without us or anyone else noticing it? It beggars belief.

Answer: from the book, he sailed there.

2. What are the Ironborn up to at the end, since we didn't see anything about them for a while?

Answer: not much, you need to wave for the new season to see more.

3. Am I to assume that Varys decided to leave with Tyrion? If so, why did he decide that after the bells pealed? Why is he leaving at all? I still don't understand why Littlefinger left either, considering his plot remained uncovered. (Was it purely for Sansa's sake?)

Answer: that's 2 questions, number them properly next time. Varys left with Tyrion because the bells signifies the death of a royalty. Varys didn't expect Tyrion to kill anyone and he reckon he's fucked if he stayed. I remembered things happened differently in the books.

Littlefinger left because it serves his schemes best that way. He needs to be at the vail to take it over and he probably wants to use Sansa to eventually take over the north which the vail is also closer to.

4. This one is more opinion than straight answer, but why didn't Arya end the big guy's suffering? I mean he fought to protect her. I got that her feelings toward him were mixed/ambivalent/confused. Why would she sail to Braavos instead of try to find her remaining brother/sister? Castle Black was the logical place for her to go.

Answer: Arya probably felt there's nothing left for her in westeros, the only brother she knows for certain is still alive is Jon, which is at the wall, and Sansa which she know is useless. She left because she knows the path she walks requires her to leave. She is not looking for safe haven, she's looking for ways to give her power to kill the people she want to see dead. She is not the helpless naive girl that Sansa is.

5. Was Tywin lying when he said he would never let Tyrion be executed, or was it the truth (and therefore he lied to Cersei earlier)? I expect he was, probably to save his own life.

Answer: one can only speculate, but in the end, it doesn't matter. He's dead.

answer: :)
answer: :)
8. Am I right in thinking that the current big players now include the Boltons and Martells? I heard about the casting for next season so already kinda have an idea here.
9. Valar Morghulis.

Hyperme

May 19, 2011
KingsGambit said:

9. Valar Morghulis.
Answers:

1. Sail to Eastwatch-by-sea, say 'hey, I heard you need help', then travel along the north of The Wall for tactical reasons. Or just ignore Eastwatch and land your boats north of The Wall.
2. The Ironborn are about to have events. New characters, more conflict and other such things. Unless they get cut from the show.
3. Varys disappears in Feast and Dance for a while, so the show is probably sending him with Tyrion to keep him around. He disappears since after Tywin's death, it's likely the passage Tyrion used to access the Tower of the Hand will be found. This implicates Varys in his death, and no-one wants to be blamed for that with Cersi around. As for Littefinger, he has plans at the Vale. (he has plans freaking everywhere)
4. Arya isn't what I'd called mentally balanced. In the books, she had made previous attempts to kill The Hound. Leaving him to die is part of her crazy vengeance quest. As for trying to reach The Wall, she only has the Iron Coin to pay for passage, and the Coin only pays to go to one place.
5. Who knows? His pride might lead him to get Tyrion to join the Night's Watch, making Tyrion effective dead for inheritance reasons. Of course, Cersi once again makes this a dicey prospect. (see also: Ned Stark)
7. Tyrion :( (and he's even worse off in the books. like, entirely)
8. Yep. The Martells, and with them a bunch of new characters, should appear next season.
9. Valar Dohaeris

Apr 5, 2008
Hyperme said:
KingsGambit said:

Currently the show covers almost up to the end of A Storm Swords, (book 3), but has also covered a little of A Feast for Crows (book 4) and A Dance with Dragons (book 5). Events in Feast and the first half of Dance happen concurrently, which should fill out a season. Then the second half of Dance might not. However, Bran and Sansa's plots are nearing the end of the published material. Since GRRM writes at a, um, steady pace, he's given the show runners the outline of the final two book, The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring so the adapting can continue.
Thank you, that's the perfect answer. I suspect then as you suggest, there's definitely one more easy year for the show before the source material is exhausted, possibly stretching to two. Hopefully book 6 will be out by then. The concern then is that if the show is to wrap up in 7-8 seasons tops, the last 1-2 will be very tough. I expect a frenetic rush of activity gets crammed in.

Unless there's a hiaitus for a year or so, there's practically no chance of Book 7 coming out before the show reaches that point. Will they televise the true ending and air it before the books? Diverge entirely and have a TV ending different to the book ending out of respect to Martin's readers? Will they film it early but keep it unaired for years? All up in the air, will be interesting to see what happens.

PS. I wonder if there's any precedent of a TV adaptation overtaking/exhausting its source material before its conclusion.