Domino's France Will Not Pay Hacker Extortionists

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Domino's France Will Not Pay Hacker Extortionists

Rex Mundi wanted €30,000 (c $40,700) or it threatened to publish customers' information on the net.

A hacker group calling itself Rex Mundi claims to have acquired user information - email, passwords, mailing addresses, telephone numbers, even favorite pizza toppings - for Domino's France customers, and threatened to post it all on the internet for everyone to see unless paid €30,000 (c $40,700). Domino's France describes this as a credible threat; the hackers, Domino's thinks, are "seasoned professionals" who could probably "decode the encryption system including passwords." Nevertheless, Domino's says it will not be paying the ransom.

Rex Mundi made its demands via Twitter, on an account that has since been suspended. "If you're a @ dominos_pizzafr customer, u may want to know that we have offered Domino's not to publish your data in exchange for €30,000," it said. "Domino's Pizza has until Monday at 8PM CET to pay us. If they do not do so, we will post the entirety of the data in our possession on the internet."

Domino's has claimed that the incident is limited to its franchise markets in France and Belgium. "Neither we nor the franchise in France will be responding to [Rex Mundi's] demands," says Tim McIntyre, vice president of communications with Domino's.

Fortunately for Domino's the stolen information did not include credit card details. The system used in France and Belgium is outdated, and at the moment does not accept cards online. Domino's was in the process of switching over to a US-style system that would accept cards, but that hadn't happened at the time of the hack.

Assuming this is the same Rex Mundi, and not a group appropriating the name, then this isn't the first time it has been involved in an extortion hack. In 2012 it demanded what it described as an "idiot tax [http://www.infoworld.com/t/hacking/hacker-group-demands-idiot-tax-payday-lender-195964]" - somewhere between $15 and $20,000 - from payday lender AmeriCash Advance. When it didn't get the money, it posted thousands of loan-applicant records it swiped from the lender's servers.

At the time of the 2012 hack, Rex Mundi said it admired hacktivists, but claimed, "We're in it for the money, which is also pretty awesome."

Source: Guardian [http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/16/dominos-pizza-ransom-hack-data]

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
This is rather... interesting.
First thing that came to my mind when reading the title was "we are holding your pizza hostage, pay up or we will eat it!". I know, makes no sense, but...

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
With no credit card information at stake I don't blame them in the slightest, and beyond that, it's not a good precedent to set paying hackers.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Mcoffey said:
Dominos: "Pffft! Fuck France."

I guess I can understand why they wouldn't pay up. If it's not credit card information then it's probably pretty harmless. No one's life is going to be ruined if they world finds out they like feta and bacon on their pizza.
It is Feta, Bacon and Spinach that I like.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
I feel bad for the customers... Now everyone is going to know they ordered dominos "pizza." How humiliating.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
That typo in the very first line makes it read as, "We have a data from a single customer, and if you don't give us money, we will publish that single customer's information." Customers'

Anyway, I guess this is the type of world we live in now. Instead of holding actual people hostage and demanding a ransom, we now just hold information hostage. Which is rather worrisome, as it turns a whole new breed of people into criminals.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
MeChaNiZ3D said:
With no credit card information at stake I don't blame them in the slightest, and beyond that, it's not a good precedent to set paying hackers.
If companies start paying it will encourage it all the more, mind you I have to wonder does this happen and is never publicised?

Are companies ever hacked and have data stolen and quietly get issued ransom notices with warnings not to contact the authorities or inform the media? Maybe it does happen and they quietly get paid in the hope of it going away, some companies might pay in order to avoid a Sony type scandal and law suits.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Oh man harrisonmcgiggins beat me to it.

It seems like in this post-9/11 world we all have to have an opinion vis-à-vis negotiating with terrorists.

Personally, I only negotiate during office hours and on the second sunday of every month, but I'd never dream of eating at a pizza chain without a firm non-negotiation stance

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Baldr said:
Mcoffey said:

I guess I can understand why they wouldn't pay up. If it's not credit card information then it's probably pretty harmless. No one's life is going to be ruined if they world finds out they like feta and bacon on their pizza.
It is Feta, Bacon and Spinach that I like.
I like your choice of toppings.

Though my own experience with Dominos has always been...disappointing at best.

OT: Oh noes. Rex Mundi is going to expose the favorite toppings of literally some of the worst pizza to ever come out of a chain-franchise.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
tfw I'm the only one who kind of likes Dominoes

OT: No credit cards? No clout. Also, I wonder how freeing it must be to be part of a villainous organization without having to justify it in any way.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Karloff said:
Rex Mundi wanted €30,000 (c $40,700) or it threatened to publish customer's information on the net.
I think you mean "customers' information". Or are they only threatening to publish one guy's data?

Kameburger said:
I feel bad for the customers... Now everyone is going to know they ordered dominos "pizza." How humiliating.
Um... nobody cares that you don't like Domino's. Now go away.

Slegiar Dryke

Dec 10, 2013
personally I'm a fan of bacon, sausage, mushroom and pepperoni ^vvvv^ or any good meat lovers style really =) may not be good pizza bit its edible and not mcdonalds quality ^^

but yeah, seriously, no credit card info at stake, who gives a care what they want.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Did they also twirl their incredibly french mustaches and say "oui oui, your pizZA weel get ceold, eef you dohn't pai up. OHOHOHO."

Because that's all I can picture. God forbid someone finds out what kind of SICK FILTH YOU'RE PUTTING ON YOUR PIZZA.

YOU MONSTER.

This is some straight up Inspector Gadget shit.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"We're in it for the money, which is also pretty awesome."
Okay, this is so boldfaced it made me LOL. Seriously, if the person that typed that ever goes legit he should write comedy TV or do stand up :D

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
lacktheknack said:

OT: No credit cards? No clout. Also, I wonder how freeing it must be to be part of a villainous organization without having to justify it in any way.
Its not just you, Knack. Since Dominos reinvented themselves, I've grown to really like their pizza.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Brian Tams said:
lacktheknack said:

Its not just you, Knack. Since Dominos reinvented themselves, I've grown to really like their pizza.
Count me in the Domino's club. Ever since they redid their sauce recipe, they haven't failed to satisfy me yet. And the garlic crusts are delicious.

More on topic, good on the pizza people. I'm not a fan of "hacktivists," let alone people who do this kind of thing just to make a quick buck.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Mcoffey said:
Hey! Not fair! We have to get decent food into the country! It's mandatory!

Shouldn't this guy have threatened...someone with something to hide? Pizza is not...risky.