Shut Out The World With This Japanese Isolation Booth

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Shut Out The World With This Japanese Isolation Booth

The $8,000 "relaxation booth" lets you contemplate your figurine collection in private.

For many of us, our childhoods were carefree affairs, where the afternoons were filled with gaming and friendship. But as the death-march of time leads on into adulthood, we find that there's just less and less time for our precious hobbies. Now, you can shut out the painful and distracting world around you with the Kakureya, a private "relaxation room for man and woman".

The Kakureya seals the user inside a 4'x4' pod. Inside is a mount for a monitor or TV, a desk, and numerous shelves and racks. The Japanese manufacturer depicts various ways they anticipate the pod being used, such as working in peace and quiet, watching The Phantom Menace while drinking alone, and contemplating your Gundam figurine collection, all in the privacy of your personal relaxation booth.

[gallery=2733]

The Kakureya costs 798,000 yen, or about $8,000 US dollars, and as such, comes built-to-order. For that kind of price, I'm surprised that it doesn't come equipped with a toilet, or at least a box of astronaut diapers. That said, I'd be mindful of what kind of PC you bring with you, as I can quickly see the booth becoming a furnace with most gaming rigs (unless you built a heat pipe/exhaust system). Also, please note that the booth is not soundproof, so for the love of god, bring a pair of headphones.

Source: [a href=http://kagu-cozy.co.jp/SHOP/gno-001.html]Kagu-Cozy[/a] via [a href=http://kotaku.com/behold-the-forever-alone-pod-1592510012]Kotaku[/a]

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
In the west we have the term "man caves" for this. So is it right if I were to call this a "man box"?
Also, because I know others will, I'd want a box no one can see in either if I'm watching the prequel trilogy for Star Wars. XD

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
So... it's basically an $8,000 pillow fort then?

Does it at least dispense tissues and lotion?

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
As cool as it is I don't think its worth 8 grand. I'm sure people could make one themselves that is much better and cheaper.

Not being sound proof would loose a lot of stuff you could do in there

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
As strange as it looks, I can see it selling. Not quickly mind you, but it would sell. (the price being the deciding factor of course) I'll be the first to admit that I wouldn't mind one. Someone mentioned a man cave, this is the smaller version. There's you private booth/box of stuff. Peace and quiet when you don't have the aforementioned room.

Orbot_Vectorman

Cleaning trash since 1990
May 11, 2009
I wonder what the soundproofing is like in there, because I wouldn't mind having one if it means I can try my hand at quietly recording some voice over demos.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
An Ceannaire said:
I'm not ashamed to admit that I want this.

Badly.
I'm kinda ashamed that I want this. But man oh man does this say "control over my environment" where little control is had and that's sold at a premium.

Heck I want two. One for work.

PH3NOmenon

Oct 23, 2009
But it's not soundproof?

Eight thousand bucks but it isn't soundproof? Then what is the bloody point? Also, the profit margin on these must be 7000 bucks then?

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
I wonder how the ventilation is. It could get pretty toasty in there with a pc.
Zhukov said:

My first thought seeing the picture was personal jerk-off booth. I'm glad I'm not the only one whose brain went there.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Zhukov said:

Pretty much this. I don't need a box to crawl in to get my solitude, sheez.

Anyway, I'm going to start charging $7.999 to anyone who wants to switch lives for a day.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Lightknight said:
An Ceannaire said:
I'm not ashamed to admit that I want this.

Badly.
I'm kinda ashamed that I want this. But man oh man does this say "control over my environment" where little control is had and that's sold at a premium.

Heck I want two. One for work.
Well, you can have very little control, or very little environment, I suppose...least it looks so.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
This only makes sense if you're living someplace with a population density of Tokyo, otherwise you probably have a room or rooms to yourself and this wouldn't make any sense.

toms

Oct 23, 2008
1) It costs 8 000 usd and is not soundproof? What?
2) It looks like something Aperture Science might come up with.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
At first I thought it was just a sound isolation booth, but then I saw the little shelves for figurines.

Oh my God, I can't stop laughing at this.

I know married guys whose wives cannot stand the sight of their highly prized Sideshow Toys collections.

Oh man, that was a good laugh.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
watching The Phantom Menace while drinking alone,
In figurative terms, this statement can be used to sum up my entire life pretty accurately. :3

Also, please note that the booth is not soundproof,
I was actually going to say "I'd get one if I could afford it" but...well...you'd think being "sound proof" would be one of the entire points of having an "isolation" pod... >.>

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Im not entirely convinced you can fit a full/mid sized case in there.
That Dell Small tower barley fits.
Also 4 vents for air, I think just a TV screen and your body heat will cook you after an hour or two.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
If it's not soundproof, it's hard to get excited. Really that's the main reason I'd want something like this. Then again, it wouldn't be too terribly difficult to soundproof it yourself. Might make it a little less nice-looking, but it's definitely doable.

As far as a computer or game console, it'd probably be better to leave that outside the booth. Drill a small cable hole or two if there isn't one already, and only have the parts you're actually interacting with (keyboard, controllers, etc) inside the booth. Should keep heat to a minimum.

P.S. Thanks