Dawn of The Planet of The Apes Trailer: Monkeys Dual-Wielding on Horses

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Dawn of The Planet of The Apes Trailer: Monkeys Dual-Wielding on Horses

The author is aware that apes and monkeys are two different things. "Monkey," however, is more fun to say

Rise of The Planet of The Apes [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/3821-Rise-of-the-Planet-of-the-Apes] was a surprise hit back in 2011, but thus far Fox has gone with a minimalist marketing campaign for its ambitious sequel; favoring briefly glimpses and slow-burn mood pieces. But with a U.S. debut now less than a month away, the film's final trailer is pulling out all the stops - making it abundantly clear that this is a bigger, more action-oriented story than last time.

The new trailer reveals more details of the film's world and storyline, centered on a colony of human survivors uneasily negotiating with Caesar (Andy Serkis) and his growing community of super-intelligent apes for use of what's left of civilization following the viral apocalypse unwittingly released at the conclusion of Rise. Tensions come to a boil as both Caesar and a human leader find their authority undermined by rivals who seek to end the fragile peace and declare open war. Presumably, the title (and the original Charlton Heston movie) kind of gives away who wins.

The film's plot appears roughly similar to Battle For The Planet of The Apes, the fifth and final film from the original series; though the trailer does not reveal exactly how close to that premise it will adhere. It does reveal an ape on horseback with double machine-guns, however. So it's got that going for it.

Dawn is scheduled to hit U.S. theaters on July 11.

Source: 20th Century Fox [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpSaTrW4leg]

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
I am stoked to all hell for this movie. Rise was amazing and this one will be following in the same footsteps.

Man, it is amazing what this franchise has managed to do. Turning Battle into an actually good movie? Crazy, haha.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Not really into the ape scene. Needs more Gazuga. Kinda' confused about the last movie being well-received.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
This movie is going to make me a sad panda and i will probably get teary. But must see. It will be brilliant, but it will still make me sad.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
Wait so how the hell do a few hundred (at best thousand) apes take over the world? at least in the original series apes were bred in captivity till there were more of them than humans for use as pets/slaves.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
youji itami said:
Wait so how the hell do a few hundred (at best thousand) apes take over the world? at least in the original series apes were bred in captivity till there were more of them than humans for use as pets/slaves.
At the end of Rise the humans get infected by a mass epidemic of a disease (tied in with the rest of the story) which presumably by the start of Dawn will have caused a global population crash, allowing the apes to take over.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
Flatfrog said:
youji itami said:
At the end of Rise the humans get infected by a mass epidemic of a disease (tied in with the rest of the story) which presumably by the start of Dawn will have caused a global population crash, allowing the apes to take over.

So every human on earth dies except a few hundred in one US city? according to the film 0.1% of humanity survives that's still 7+ million people and people reproduce faster than apes (apes have a 4 year interval between births).

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
Well, none of us have seen the movie, but I'd say if all but 0.1% of humans died that would certainly leave the remaining 7 million fairly screwed.

For one thing, you'd imagine the human survivors would be likely to be in clusters, mostly on those islands that managed to maintain quarantine (almost certainly by very ruthless methods). Let's say that accounts for half the remainder. If the other 3.5 million survivors, those individuals exposed to infection who were resistant to it, were evenly spread around the world according to existing population density, most of them would be in Asia. 0.05% of the population of New York City is just 4,000 people, most of whom would almost certainly succumb to other problems (particularly diseases from the millions of undisposed corpses) within a few months. Add in active attacks from marauding machine-gun-toting apes and I'd say the local humans could easily be in trouble.

So yes, allowing for the entirely unrealistic idea that a disease could wipe us out that effectively, the rest of the numbers add up well enough for fictional purposes.

Ruisu

Enjoy the Silence
Jul 11, 2013
But they did not take the world, the movie takes place in just one city. The pack from the last movie got bigger, sure, but it's not like they are all around the world now.

man-man

Jan 21, 2008
I was finding it hard to imagine how apes on horses (even when armed with guns) would present a challenge to any modern military, but if the humans have been nearly wiped out by disease then I guess that explains it.

I was mentally attributing it to some impressive gorilla warfare.

ANTIcarrot

Jan 3, 2011
So, judging by the trailers... One side is almost entirely white, with one or two exceptions, and the other side is almost entirely black, with one or two exceptions (orange in their case) and they are all fanatical racist a*seholes - with a handful of exceptions on both sides. Uh huh. Why the hell am I supposed to care who wins? Or care in any way what so ever?

Oh and by the way, how are things in Europe, or Australia, or anywhere else but TheOnlyCountryInTheWorldistan?

Also, sucker's bet: Who wants to bet that all the whiners who cried pitiously about Battleship are going to be completely dry eyed about the practicality of using a battleship in a post apocalyptic world?