Gotham Teaser Video Focuses on the Villains

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Gotham Teaser Video Focuses on the Villains

Fox has released a new teaser for its upcoming Gotham TV series which spotlights the villains set to battle Gordon and Co.

Just last month, Fox announced a series order for the upcoming Batman-themed TV show, Gotham [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134246-Fox-Network-Picks-Up-Batman-Prequel-TV-Series-Gotham], a police drama set years before the Caped Crusader makes his mark on the city. Today, the network has released a teaser video that focuses on the villains. Shown are Oswald Cobblepot (The Penguin) played by Robin Lord Taylor, Selina Kyle (Catwoman) portrayed by Carmen Bicondova, and Jada Pinkett-Smith, who's said to portray a crime boss. While the teaser only has three villains in it, Fox has already said to expect the likes of The Joker, Poison Ivy, The Riddler, and more to make their way onto the show -- though, they won't necessarily look as they did in the comics given Gotham's more grounded feel.

If you liked what you just watched, then go check out this other trailer where we see a young James Gordon played by Ben McKenzie and Donal Logue as Detective Harvey Bullock [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134249-Debut-Gotham-Trailer-Batman-Babies]. While Bruce Wayne (David Mazouz) will appear on the series, he'll be a kid, and most likely won't do any ass-kicking -- at least not the way Batman does it.

Gotham is set to be a standalone series and will not be connected to any Batman film. It's set to launch this fall joining Fox's primetime lineup and is from The Mentalist creator Bruno Heller.

Are you liking what you've seen so far from Gotham or should they skip this pre-Batman thing altogether and just give us the Batman we want?

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I actually find this interesting. Especially since Batman himself is not very interesting and I like the idea of a more grounded version of Gotham minus The Batman. I always preferred the more grounded detective style Batman stories anyway.

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
Gordon is a pretty great character with some fantastic dramatic moments in his backstory that can really motivate a grounded action-crime drama. I know these are just ads, but I was actually hoping for more of a focus on Gordon, not these "super" villains. Of course, the actor playing Gordon looks super boring, so I guess this focus will help the show.

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
I think it's pretty cool they got a little girl for catwoman that looks like a mini Michelle Pfeiffer.

SquidVicious

Apr 20, 2011
Country
United States
I was looking at the cast on IMDB and became a little more optimistic when I saw that Detectives Crispus Allen and Renee Montoya are going to be in it. If nothing else I can at least expect some elements of the massively underrated comic series Gotham Central to make their way into this TV series.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
The more I see of this series the more interested I get...
I love the idea of Gotham-focused thing, with no Batman in it for once. I've always been far more interested by all the other stuff than him.

Gotta calm down, and repeat 'it will probably suck' to myself to avoid getting hyped.