Rumor: A Stand-Alone Batfleck Film Planned For 2019

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
Rumor: A Stand-Alone Batfleck Film Planned For 2019

Holy Stealth Reboot Batman!

If a rumor broken today by Latino Review turns out to be true, Warner Bros. has plans for Ben Affleck's Batman that go much further than providing a universe-building context around Man of Steel. According to anonymous sources cited by the site, WB is planning a solo Batman film starring the Affleck version of the character for 2019, and the working title for the project is "The Batman".

As always, we should approach this report with a tremendous grain of salt, but the rumored target date of 2019 is key to lending some credibility to it. Just last week, a rumor first reported by Nikki Finke* held that the studio has ambitious plans for seven, interconnected films based on DC properties [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135362-RUMOR-Warner-Bros-to-Unveil-Seven-Film-Wave-of-DC-Universe-Movies-at-SDCC], starting with a Shazam movie in July, 2016 and ending with the proper Man of Steel 2 in May, 2018, with Justice League planned for the middle in May, 2017. WB supposedly intends to reveal the full plan this summer at San Diego Comic-Con.

Latino Review speculates further that Affleck may even direct his solo Batfilm - they note that negotiations between his team and Warner Bros. took months, possibly because Affleck, now highly regarded as a director, didn't want to be just a handsome face under the cowl. At minimum, the 2019 release date, more than five years after his announced assumption of the role, makes sense if only because it takes into account his commitment to write, direct and star in a period crime film Live By Night, due for release in fall, 2016.

The most interesting thing to my mind is the way this allows for WB to gradually transition audiences from the Christopher Nolan Batverse to whatever this new incarnation of Batman will be, without actually having to let the character lie fallow for several years. In essence, they'll be laying the groundwork for a reboot via the characterization of the Caped Crusader in Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice and Justice League, then launching a film after audiences have accepted the new version. Assuming the whole thing doesn't fall apart - say, if the DC Cinematic Universe isn't a monster financial hit on par with the MCU - they get to have their cake and eat it too. Impressive, and I mean that honestly.

Again, take this with a huge grain of salt. Warner Bros. isn't confirming anything for now. But keep a close eye on Escapist during our coverage of SDCC 2014 - we'll let you know as soon as WB makes whatever announcement it has planned.

Source: Latino Review [http://www.latino-review.com/news/hot-rumor-whats-in-store-for-ben-afflecks-batman]

* it's worth noting that so far anyway, rumors broken on Nikki Finke's new website haven't consistently held up. Steve Martin has denied any knowledge or involvement with a rumored third installment in the Father of The Bride series [https://twitter.com/SteveMartinToGo/statuses/478647002994327552].This doesn't mean there aren't plans for such a film of course, and it doesn't mean the WB rumors won't turn out to be true, but as always, keep this stuff in mind.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
2019 sounds like enough time for me to get excited for new Batman. But since we just had one two years ago I don't really care for more.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
*sarcasm = on* Right, because what DC needs to compete with Avengers is ANOTHER Batman movie.

*sarcasm = off* Frankly, I don't give a damn about DC's movies, rumored or otherwise. It's just pathetic at this point.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
templar1138a said:
*sarcasm = on* Right, because what DC needs to compete with Avengers is ANOTHER Batman movie.

*sarcasm = off* Frankly, I don't give a damn about DC's movies, rumored or otherwise. It's just pathetic at this point.
Keep in mind that by 2019, we'll be remembering the last 'just' Batman movie as 'that thing from 7 years ago'. Not a massive amount of time, but probably enough to not be feeling Batman is entirely too common.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
In essence, they'll be laying the groundwork for a reboot via the characterization of the Caped Crusader in Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice and Justice League, then launching a film after audiences have accepted the new version.
That's a (hypothetically, as this movie isn't confirmed so the logic might not be real, either) pretty big assumption. BVS is combining the much-maligned MoS reboot with the questionable casting of a limited actor. Even if Btafleck does a good job, that doesn't guarantee people will warm to him.

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
I'm really starting to think that superhero movies have gotten out of control. Are we going to have another origin story? Another Joker and Two-Face? Maybe a superhero that hasn't had seven movies in twenty years would be a nice change of pace.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Boy do they have faith -_-

I'd i'll only be interested after BvS is out, so far I like the costume but given the movie prior i'm not expecting anything.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I can't say I'm that interested in the new Fatman v Superman movie next year, yet alone one thats 5 years away. If its even still on the table by then....

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
In a move that shocks absolutely no one, WB is planning on standalone movies for their Justice League heavy hitters...

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
Zachary Amaranth said:
In essence, they'll be laying the groundwork for a reboot via the characterization of the Caped Crusader in Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice and Justice League, then launching a film after audiences have accepted the new version.
That's a (hypothetically, as this movie isn't confirmed so the logic might not be real, either) pretty big assumption. BVS is combining the much-maligned MoS reboot with the questionable casting of a limited actor. Even if Btafleck does a good job, that doesn't guarantee people will warm to him.
which is why the very next sentence is "Assuming the whole thing doesn't fall apart - say, if the DC Cinematic Universe isn't a monster financial hit on par with the MCU..."

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
2019, eh? Nothing like planning ahead. o_O Anything could happen in the meantime, like the whole project going the way of Ghostbusters 3.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
blalien said:
I'm really starting to think that superhero movies have gotten out of control. Are we going to have another origin story? Another Joker and Two-Face? Maybe a superhero that hasn't had seven movies in twenty years would be a nice change of pace.
So when you say superhero movies have gotten out of control, you really just mean Batman, right?

Ruisu

Enjoy the Silence
Jul 11, 2013
blalien said:
An origins story? With near 50 year old Affleck? Unlikely.

On the other hand...
Strange how nobody seems to care about a "new" Batman solo movie to be after the "proper" Wonder Woman movie. But when it was Shazam before Wonder Woman, people were revolted. Even though, you know, Shazam hasn't seen anything mainstream in the big screen for a longer time than Wonder Woman. But it's more fun to hate on anything DC-Warner right?

Akiraking

Jan 7, 2012
Sounds cool, at 47 they would have to skip another origin story and do something else. Maybe they will finally give him a successor. It would be a good time to introduce a grown up night wing and a teenage Robin. Have a film where he is being outdated or something like that.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Jadak said:
Keep in mind that by 2019, we'll be remembering the last 'just' Batman movie as 'that thing from 7 years ago'. Not a massive amount of time, but probably enough to not be feeling Batman is entirely too common.
The entirety of the nipple-Batman qualogy came out within the first ten years of my life. I watched the animated series as a kid (starting before it got combined with the Superman series) and even had a couple decks of playing cards based on it. I've seen numerous parodies of Batman in both cartoon and live-action form. I've had no interest in the Arkham series of games simply because Batman. The main reason I liked the last movie trilogy was because it wasn't supposed to involve anything else from the DC canon and was more realistic on the whole.

I've been surrounded by Batman for my entire life. It's going to take at least two decades without ANY new Batman-related material whatsoever for me to feel that Batman is not too common. Seriously [http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/02/07/worship-at-the-church-of-batman-the-redeemer-for-terry-gilliam-and-christoph-waltz/].

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
I'm kinda excited to see Ben Affleck as Batman. I don't know why. I really don't. I really like the Dark Knight trilogy and I thought I would need a big break from Batman. And I'm not a fan of Affleck. So why am I giddy with anticipation to see him portray Batman?

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
I think we should just make up rumors about DC comic movies, and hopefully the most popular movies will get made. Worked in house of cards.

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
Falterfire said:
blalien said:
So when you say superhero movies have gotten out of control, you really just mean Batman, right?
Also Spiderman and Wolverine.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Jadak said:
templar1138a said:

I don't know, I held the Burton/Keaton Batman in my mind as a definitive Batman movie up to the moment I watched Nolan's first entry in his trilogy. And I saw Burton's on opening day when I was a kid, owned the VHS and wore it out so I'd say movies aren't exactly like fruits and veggies where they spoil after a few months (except maybe in an internet forum... ZING!!!)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RossaLincoln said:
which is why the very next sentence is "Assuming the whole thing doesn't fall apart - say, if the DC Cinematic Universe isn't a monster financial hit on par with the MCU..."
I'm aware. I just don't think that quite captures the hole they're starting from.
Ten Foot Bunny said:
2019, eh? Nothing like planning ahead.
And if there's one thing we know about DC's movies, they're doing nothing like planning ahead. *rimshot*

Thank you, I'll be here all week.