The Doctor Strange Film May Have A Writer

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
The Doctor Strange Film May Have A Writer

But as always, this kind of rumor needs plenty of sodium.

Marvel has already confirmed that Sinister director Scott Derickson According to Deadline [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135021-Scott-Derrickson-Will-Direct-Marvels-Doctor-Strange], Jon Spaihts is currently negotiating with Marvel/Disney, who are extremely interested in getting this thing made as quickly as they can.

Spaihts record might not fill fans with tremendous confidence - he's currently writing a reboot of The Mummy series - but he's also known for writing the first draft of Prometheus. That might also cause you to vomit in your mouth a little bit, but note that his version was written before Damon Lindelof was brought in to ruin it by making it purposelessly vague because not being coherent is the same thing as profundity for most major science fiction films these days. Sigh. Point: he isn't a solid pedigreed hitter but he could be far worse, which is enough, especially after the Ant-Man debacle, for me to be cautiously optimistic.

This is assuming he takes the job of course. That he's in negotiations might make this a done deal, but never underestimate the power of disagreeing over money and creative control to derail things. Still, Marvel is definitely committed to being in the Doctor Strange business, and I can't help myself from wanting that to happen.

Doctor Strange would inject some of the craziest material yet seen into the Marvel universe. First debuting in 1963, he's a world class surgeon named Stephen Strange who suffers a crippling hand injury that prematurely ends his medical career. Seeking magical physical rehab from "The Ancient One", a Himalayan mystic, he ends up as The Ancient One's protege instead, and ultimately becomes the self-styled Sorcerer Supreme. Which makes him like the only person in history with an actual medical degree who still found a way to have his "Dr." title be wholly honorary.

His arch enemies include: the Dread Dormammu, an extra-dimensional being bent on conquering, well, everything, notable for having a flaming skull for a head but not being Ghost Rider; Baron Mordo, a Transylvanian nobleman whose attempt to kill The Ancient One leads to Strange's new career in magic; and Satannish, who despite his name is not just someone who kind of almost reminds you of Lucifer, but instead is the living embodiment of Dormammu's evil will. All of which is to say we should expect some spectacular wizard battles in the final film.

Source: Badass Digest [http://badassdigest.com/2014/06/18/doctor-strange-gets-a-possibly-interesting-writer/]

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
RossaLincoln said:
Marvel/Disney, who are extremely interested in getting this thing made as quickly as they can.
That doesn't sound good...
RossaLincoln said:
he's currently writing a reboot of The Mummy series
Wait, WHAT!?!

This just keeps getting better and better... screw this. Come on Marvel, get it together.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
I love Doctor Strange, been collecting his various series for years. But he's not exactly a complicated character, which makes him both easier and harder to adapt depending on how they go about it.

The easiest way to screw him up would be to wuss out and assume that general audiences couldn't accept the more fantastical elements of the franchise, which is really what it's all about. This is what parent company Disney did when they got cold feet advertising "John Carter" instead of calling it "A Princess of Mars". If they had had more faith in that product I'm confident we would have already had several sequels to it by now. But instead Edgar Rice Burrough's wealth of worlds are being put into the idea freeze for the foreseeable future.

But Marvel itself has done this with Strange as well in recent years to. Showing a desire to make Dr. Strange a self-parody for the crime of not being another crime-fighter locked into a boring cityscape for all his stories. Strange offers the potential for adventures simultaneously whimsical and grim. On scales cosmic, extra-demensional and literally within the realms of the subconscious. Disney/Marvel would do well to exploit that rather than cover it up.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I will reserve any judgements until I know more. Right now I am just really excited that they are actually making a Doctor Strange movie. My only consern right now is that I don't know how they are going to balance his powers compared to the other Avengers.

The Doc is one of the more powerfull members of the Marvel universe and as much as I like Black widow and don't hate Hawkeye they already look like they are standing still compared to the others, adding Scarlet witch, Quicksilver and now Ant-Man and the sorcerer supreme, they are going to look very unnecessary.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Gizmo1990 said:
I will reserve any judgements until I know more. Right now I am just really excited that they are actually making a Doctor Strange movie. My only consern right now is that I don't know how they are going to balance his powers compared to the other Avengers.

The Doc is one of the more powerfull members of the Marvel universe and as much as I like Black widow and don't hate Hawkeye they already look like they are standing still compared to the others, adding Scarlet witch, Quicksilver and now Ant-Man and the sorcerer supreme, they are going to look very unnecessary.
That's why the Doc works best solo/with his own stable of characters, at his best he faces Cthulhu Mythos-level threats to the entire dimension. So too often when he gets involved with street-level heroes writers have an urge to just use him as a plot device. Or conveniently not use his full powers.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Ratty said:
Gizmo1990 said:

That's why the Doc works best solo/with his own stable of characters, at his best he faces Cthulhu Mythos-level threats to the entire dimension. So too often when he gets involved with street-level heroes writers have an urge to just use him as a plot device. Or conveniently not use his full powers.
Very true. I guess they could make that work in the movies. His job is to keep everything spining, not effect the cause of evolution hence why he will save a planet/galaxy/universe from destruction/enslavement but will not fight crime or try to tackle issues like mutant rights. As long as they make that clear it would stop people asking why he was not their to help Cap America or Iron man in their next movie but he can still show up to help Thor once they introduce Surtur

Come to think of it isn't that the reason he stayed out of the civil war? I cannot remember.

JSoup

Jun 14, 2012
Been meaning to do some searching on this. After the pointed name drop in Winter Soldier, I assumed we'd be seeing a Doctor Strange movie eventually.