Blood of the Werewolf Is Truly A Labor of Love

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Blood of the Werewolf Is Truly A Labor of Love

For independent studio Scientifically Proven Entertainment, developing action platformer Blood of the Werewolf was, according to CEO Than McClure, ?to challenge ourselves while fulfilling childhood dreams of building a tough platformer for major consoles.?

Read Full Article

Geisterkarle

Dec 27, 2010
citing specifically the "mashers" segments early in the game
wait what? there is a new version where these damn segments, I hate, are "fixed"? I have to look into my Steam account...

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Geisterkarle said:
citing specifically the "mashers" segments early in the game
wait what? there is a new version where these damn segments, I hate, are "fixed"? I have to look into my Steam account...
I don't know. I wonder how "fixed" it is. I played about a week and half ago and I died around 100 times to get past those mashers. And good lord that free-fall race ahead of the mashers sequence, that was nuts.

I remember watching the trailer on Steam, and how it talked about it being a difficult game, but it is a little ridiculous.

Really the difficulty curve is rather wonky. The first few levels were cake, and then it was death, death, after death, after death.

It's a good thing the game liberally uses checkpoints, because if it had any less than it does, the game would be practically unplayable.

Edit: Also, I know they meant for it to be a console game, but they seriously need to work on there controller support on PC. Had to use keyboard and mouse, because the thing doesn't recognize my gamepad, granted my pad is only a 20 dollar Steel Series. I don't have an Xbox pad that will work with my PC, and I'm not going out to buy Xbox pad just for games like this.

Game developers that are looking to have controller support on PC, need to look a bit further than optimizing their games for just the high end pad market. That is why I love fighting games on PC, they offer the best in wide range pad support.

Geisterkarle

Dec 27, 2010
Sonic Doctor said:
I don't know. I wonder how "fixed" it is. I played about a week and half ago and I died around 100 times to get past those mashers. And good lord that free-fall race ahead of the mashers sequence, that was nuts.

I remember watching the trailer on Steam, and how it talked about it being a difficult game, but it is a little ridiculous.

Really the difficulty curve is rather wonky. The first few levels were cake, and then it was death, death, after death, after death.

It's a good thing the game liberally uses checkpoints, because if it had any less than it does, the game would be practically unplayable.

Edit: Also, I know they meant for it to be a console game, but they seriously need to work on there controller support on PC. Had to use keyboard and mouse, because the thing doesn't recognize my gamepad, granted my pad is only a 20 dollar Steel Series. I don't have an Xbox pad that will work with my PC, and I'm not going out to buy Xbox pad just for games like this.

Game developers that are looking to have controller support on PC, need to look a bit further than optimizing their games for just the high end pad market. That is why I love fighting games on PC, they offer the best in wide range pad support.
Well, I have no problem with it being hard. I'm a Super Meat Boy addict and VVVVVV is a piece of cake.
But BotW is just plain unfair on some of these masher areas! Maybe because every screen resets the mashers timer! In SMB, if I do some jumps perfectly I can breath, have time to control my next move ... in BotW a perfect masher screen gives you nothing for the next! No fun!

Also I play it on PC too. And how could you control the arrows without a "pointer", using a pad? Seriously, a mouse is much more precise and faster! So this is not "optimal" designed for a pad!

Nathaniel McClure

Jun 23, 2014
Hi guys, Sorry you didn't like the smashers. We wanted the first two levels to build up slowly (easy) then put you through the proverbial and actual gauntlet before we just started throwing it at you. The game was intended to have a throwback feel and we wanted it to be very tough at times (just the type of games we love). We simply didn't have the budget to make the ramping longer.

Re the controller support - it wasn't a matter of not wanting to it was just a matter of budget. Each config/controller code that needs to be added takes away from other factors in the process.

Thank you so much for picking up the game and also providing feedback.