Ubisoft: DRM is Ineffective Against Piracy

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Ubisoft: DRM is Ineffective Against Piracy

Ubisoft doesn't believe it should punish legitimate customers with DRM.

Somewhat ironically [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98396-Ubisoft-Online-DRM-Its-Worse-Than-Expected], Ubisoft's VP of digital publishing Chris Early has just come out with a very strong anti-DRM stance, denouncing the practice by stating that it is ineffective at halting piracy, and only serves to punish legitimate customers.

"I don't want us in a position where we're punishing a paying player for what a pirate can get around," he told Game Spot [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ubisoft-drm-can-t-stop-piracy/1100-6420602/], adding "Anything is going to be able to be pirated given enough time and enough effort to get in there." Instead, Early says that the best way to combat piracy is to simply create quality, easily accessible games, that makes gamers want to buy, rather than pirate, them.

So the question becomes, what do we create as services, or as benefits, and the quality of the game, that will just have people want to pay for it?

Early stated that while Bethesda's recently released Wolfenstein: The New Order was reportedly pirated over 100,000 times, it was a mistake on Bethesda's part to say that these were all lost sales, because some number of people were always going to steal the game.

Early says that key to stopping piracy is to offer online services (such as multiplayer) that are simply unavailable for pirates to access. "I think it's much more important for us to focus on making a great game and delivering good services. The reality is, the more service there is in a game, pirates don't get that," Early said. "So when it's a good game and there's good services around it, you're incentivized to not pirate the game to get the full experience."

Ubisoft has certainly come a long way from those Assassin's Creed II days...

Source: Game Spot [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ubisoft-drm-can-t-stop-piracy/1100-6420602/]

Feb 9, 2011
Finally...now can I go back to actually having a slight interest in Ubisoft products that are DRM free? I'd love to take them off my blacklist instead of completely ignoring everything they make.

ShirowShirow

Oct 14, 2010
Holy hallelujah praise Mary mother of god.

They have finally learned! Kinda sorta. Step in the right direction.

I don't pirate, I'm always a legit customer... When I can. You make it easy to buy your product, then I'll buy your product. You need to build a bridge between me and that product so I can purchase it.

So it boggles my mind that so many people have been building walls.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
So they are saying that UPlay is going away? Ah who am i kidding, its Ubisoft we're talking about here, of course it isnt.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Good. Now maybe you can get back to actually optimizing your PC games instead of just dumping half assed ports on us most of the time?

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
Soviet Heavy said:
Good. Now maybe you can get back to actually optimizing your PC games instead of just dumping half assed ports on us most of the time?
Optimizing PC ports? It's been years and they just talked about how DRM is "bad and doesn't prevent piracy" which everybody else knew, their "mostly terri-bad" PC ports are quite recent in Ubisoft time, so I'd say wait for 2020 maybe for them to say "we should really go back to giving a damn about PC actually..."

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008

Ubisoft and EA in one day? Is it the annual "spout some obvious bullshit and not actually fix anything" conference?

Let's be realistic, Uplay and Origin and their ilk aren't going away. And I don't really mind DRM as long as they release games that are actually playable.

Today I finally caved and bought Far Cry 3 on Steam sale. And what did I get? A fucking broken game, still not fixed for the Nvidia GPUs with a buttload of other glitches.

Start small, all I'm saying, by not treating the PC as a second class citizen.

Edit: damn ninjas.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
So no more Uplay for games I bought on Steam? unlikely.

Double DRM FTW!!!!

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I hear "DRM doesn't work", but that is not said with, "we are getting rid of uPlay".

It's a stunt. UPlay is the broken DRM they use. If that is staying, then they are just paying lip service to a concept they don't understand.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Ah, look, it seems that Ubisoft has fina-OH MY GOD NO, making games dependant on services you provide is NOT the way to go about this! And you were going so well for a few sentences there...

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
I'll believe it when I see this. Ubisoft's VP speaking against DRM is one thing. Actually ceasing using it or - better yet - retroactively stripping it from older titles is something else. They've got our attention; now let them show that they deserve it.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
mechalynx said:
Today I finally caved and bought Far Cry 3 on Steam sale. And what did I get? A fucking broken game, still not fixed for the Nvidia GPUs with a buttload of other glitches.
Got to contest that statement. Far Cry 3 ran decently on my 4 year old laptop when i bought it sometime last year, and when i finally got a desktop im running it at maxed settings with framerate loss only happening when i get too spammy with a flamethrower.

And yes, on an Nvidia GPU.

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
Ed130 The Vanguard said:
Does that mean you're finally going to dump Uplay?
Early says that key to stopping piracy is to offer online services (such as multiplayer) that are simply unavailable for pirates to access.
Loose translation: No.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
The first posters really swallowed the obvious lies quite well.
He isn't saying they'll moving away from DRM, merely that they need to step it up to something more effective (like bricking your game).

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Great, take uplay off your pc games and Ill but the fuck out of them.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Ok now you just need to make some games that are worth buying...good luck with that.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
gigastar said:
mechalynx said:
Got to contest that statement. Far Cry 3 ran decently on my 4 year old laptop when i bought it sometime last year, and when i finally got a desktop im running it at maxed settings with framerate loss only happening when i get too spammy with a flamethrower.

And yes, on an Nvidia GPU.
I envy you. I had 2 major crashes with computer restarts right in the beginning. The only thing that worked was lowering to DirectX9. The final drop was the map glitch, where the map scrolled sideways indefinitely and no way of turning it off without shutting down the game.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
wulf3n said:
So no more Uplay for games I bought on Steam? unlikely.

Double DRM FTW!!!!
At least steam offers a payoff which makes up for the price of it being DRM though. Which is a lot more then we can' say for Uplay.