UPDATE: Kmart Lists 120GB PS3 Slim For $299

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
UPDATE: Kmart Lists 120GB PS3 Slim For $299

Update: Looks like Kmart may have jumped the gun a bit [http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&partNumber=018W014436760001P&adCell=W2&catalogId=10104]. The retail blurb reads as follows: "PS3, SLIM High-Definition Blu-ray player for the best movie experience. Free PLAYSTATION Network membership. 120GB HDD for downloading games, music, videos, and photos. Includes DUAL SHOCK 3 controller. HDMI output for 1080p resolution."

So, there we go. Rumors of the Slim have been circulating for months now - and Sony is expected to officially unveil the PS3 Slim tonight at GamesCom, at 7:00 PM German time (1:00 PM EST). It looks like this story is nearing its end.

(Via VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/08/18/kmart-lists-ps3-slim-for-299-august-24-launch/])

The original post is available below in full:

Evidence is circulating on the Internet that indicates that retailers are aware not only of an impending "new exciting PS3," but a $100 price cut on the system as-is. Can we please announce the PS3 Slim already?

Here's a heaping helping of fuel for the Slim PS3 rumor fire: A banner ad on the here [http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/TopCategoriesDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10104]. The picture the ad uses is admittedly their standard PS3 model, not the rumored Slim, but that might just be laziness on their part.

Kmart isn't the only retailer who seems to know what's up - Kotaku reports that they'd gotten their metaphorical hands on some promotional posters from FYE [http://kotaku.com/5339547/ps3-slimpocalypse-countdown-fye-price+cuts], advertising $100 price cuts: The 80GB PS3 is listed at $299 (from $399), while the 120GB-plus-Uncharted bundle takes its place at $399 (from $499).

As always, there's nothing absolutely concrete yet, but what we have here is a whopping mountain of circumstantial evidence. All of said evidence points to the confirmation of rumors circulating for a few months now: The PS3 80GB is out, the PS3 Slim is in at a new attractive price.

All that remains is for the official announcement, which is expected to come later this week at GamesCom. Then, all we need is for Microsoft to announce the phasing out of the 360 Pro in combination with a $100 cut for the 360 Elite, and Ars Technica's mole will have proven himself to be Nostra-freakin'-damus.

Unless they have a sudden desire to raise the price of the 360 out of nowhere [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93927-Microsoft-to-Give-Arcade-360-Price-Hike-in-UK], though.

(Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/18/rumorang-retailer-promotes-new-exciting-playstation-3/])

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
The 80GB PS3 is listed at $299 (from $399)
No excuses people! If this is true, which it most likely is (Sony can't keep a secret even if the world depended on it), then for all the people who say "I'll buy a PS3 when it's $100 cheaper" or some crap, buy it now, no excuses.

Apr 28, 2008
Jumplion said:
No excuses people! If this is true, which it most likely is (Sony can't keep a secret even if the world depended on it), then for all the people who say "I'll buy a PS3 when it's $100 cheaper" or some crap, buy it now, no excuses.
Then hopefully we can put the flamewar to rest.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yes but a High def TV that can show the games proper still cost over $500.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Bah, knowing the way the UK gets shafted We'll either get a £20 price cut, or a £50 price hike.
Jumplion said:
Like hell. Though I never complained about the price, it was off putting. But I'm not buying a PS3 until Q3 2010/Heavy Rain's release. I have enough games as is. ;_;

If that game isn't next to perfect, I'm shooting up the nearest post office.

EDIT: I should point out that I'm not just buying a PS3 for that game alone, because I always chastise people for buying a console for one game. It's a string of games, but the console itself is low on my priority list.

Rigs83 said:
Nah, they're much cheaper than that now.

Ambarato

Jun 5, 2008
Rigs83 said:
I used an SDTV on my PS3 for well over a year and I had no problems. I probably wouldn't go back to one but its still worth the money if you don't have a HDTV.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Well, at least it was K-Mart's slip up this time. Usually Sony doesn't need any help spilling the beans like that.

stabnex

Jun 30, 2009
Irridium said:
You know, I read that wrong the first time through and thought you said "we can put the flamethrower to rest." Which made perfect sense in my mind till I read it more closely. In either case I'm still not buying one. It must be given directly to me for free along with apologies and hookers.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Ambarato said:
Rigs83 said:
I used an SDTV on my PS3 for well over a year and I had no problems. I probably wouldn't go back to one but its still worth the money if you don't have a HDTV.
No way, you can't even tell your on a current gen machine on SDTV. The graphics don't really improve that much over ps2 capabilities at 480p.

Also, be careful when you ask for slim, being a 360 owner I know the perils of stacking all your hardware into a tiny box.

C0nn0r666

Oct 19, 2008
stabnex said:
Irridium said:
You know, I read that wrong the first time through and thought you said "we can put the flamethrower to rest." Which made perfect sense in my mind till I read it more closely. In either case I'm still not buying one. It must be given directly to me for free along with apologies and hookers.
i want hookers too sony

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Jumplion said:
You don't need to get so VIOLENT about it man... but yeah. I had said I would get a PS3 when the price dropped to reasonable levels and BC was put back in... so this is one-half of my wish fulfilled. And since there was a story a ways back about how Sony was looking into software emulation, there might be hope for the other half of my wish yet.

Now that the Sony rumors have pretty much been confirmed: MICROSOFT, LEAK SOMETHING. LEAK IT NOW. I want to know the truth behind the Pro discontinuing/Elite price cut rumors.

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
i no for a fact this is all true!

how do i know? cause i brought a PS3 a few weeks back so the price is bound to drop $100 now isnt it...anything i buy in gameing drops price only a few weeks after I buy it...

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Jumplion said:
I'm one of those people and if this is true I'm so getting one. I've wanted a PS3 for a while but it hasn't been worth it, $100 bucks less is awesome. Now I'm getting all excited over rumors... just like I said I never would.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
stabnex said:
Irridium said:
Funny 'cause I feel the same way about the 360.
But that's after reading this article: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93943-Xbox-360s-Death-Rate-is-54-2

Apr 28, 2008
C0nn0r666 said:
stabnex said:
Irridium said:
i want hookers too sony
There are many companies that owe me apologies and hookers.

Like Lionhead
And Microsoft
And Wal-Mart
And Apple
And many more.

Darkwolf9

Aug 19, 2008
tehroc said:
Ambarato said:
Rigs83 said:
No way, you can't even tell your on a current gen machine on SDTV. The graphics don't really improve that much over ps2 capabilities at 480p.

Also, be careful when you ask for slim, being a 360 owner I know the perils of stacking all your hardware into a tiny box.
Your right about the SDTV stuff, but at the same time you can't play your next gen games on old gen systems. As far as the slim goes, Sony's slim systems tend to be better than the original.

Darkwolf9

Aug 19, 2008
CoverYourHead said:
Jumplion said:
I'm one of those people and if this is true I'm so getting one. I've wanted a PS3 for a while but it hasn't been worth it, $100 bucks less is awesome. Now I'm getting all excited over rumors... just like I said I never would.
Careful once you get the system and it hits you that the PSN is free with tons of free crap you'll drown in your own saliva (or spend a while downloading videos and demo).

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
Cool beans. Now heres hoping they bundle it with a killer app and I just finally might go out and buy a PS3.