Second Transformers Trilogy Not a Done Deal Says Producer

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Second Transformers Trilogy Not a Done Deal Says Producer

Age of Extinction producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura claims a second Transformers trilogy is not not planned, but it's being made one movie at a time.

Contrary to Speaking to IGN [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135525-Transformers-5-Hansel-and-Gretel-2-and-More-Set-for-2016-Release-by-Paramount],Transformers: Age of Extinction producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura states that while the studios is not not planning on doing a trilogy, it's far from a done deal, and they are taking it one movie at a time.

We're not planning on doing a trilogy. We're not not planning on doing a trilogy. It's really a one-movie-at-a-time philosophy. It feels a little arrogant. Both [director Michael Bay] and I feel like it's a little arrogant of us to presume success each time. We know our fans are really out there and they're going to come, so we presume a certain amount of success. But all the energy will be thrown into the next movie, if we're lucky enough to get there.

Just in case you're wondering, it seems Transformers won't have spinoffs, either -- at least for now. Bonaventura claims the lore of the franchise is so rich, that they don't need to do it, and spinoffs tend to happen when a movie franchise has "plateaued."

I think one of the things that people underestimate about the Transformers mythology is how rich it is...If you actually look at the bible, if you would, there is an enormous number of characters; there's a helluva lot of storylines, etcetera. Honestly, there's been no discussion of it because we've been in the business of making it bigger and bigger. I think a lot of those spinoffs tend to happen when something's plateaued. We're not at that place yet, hopefully. We're going to find out with the audience.

Are you happy that a second Transformers trilogy is not set in stone yet or would you rather they plot the storyline out well in advance? The franchise's next entry, Transformers: Age of Extinction, is set for release this coming week on June 27 in North America.

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/20/transformers-trilogy-not-set-in-stone]

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I wish more movie franchises would be made this way. I get tired of seeing the Two movie Trilogy, where the first film is standalone, and then the second and third are really just a two parter after they sealed the three movie deal.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Bonaventura claims the lore of the franchise is so rich, that they don't need to do it, and spinoffs tend to happen when a movie franchise has "plateaued."
I'd say a franchise has hit a plateau when it starts recycling the same plot but with a different coat of paint. And haven't two of the three released Transformers movies involved the Autobots saving earth from an ancient evil whilst Sam has relationship problems?

And does it mean that the Marvel Cinematic Universe has plateaued since it has two spin-off TV shows? Clearly the lore isn't very rich.

At least they are moving away from the 'Everything must be a trilogy' model.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
CriticalMiss said:
And does it mean that the Marvel Cinematic Universe has plateaued since it has two spin-off TV shows? Clearly the lore isn't very rich.
What is that supposed to mean? That because there is a show about a group of agents and one about a 40s spy-thriller, the franchise has plateaued? Did they watch The Winter Soldier? The idea that the MCU has reached that point is laughable. And hell, there are 4 more series in production that all look like they will add value to the MCU. I think it's just penis envy.

Hell, the only reason the transformers even went threw it was because the producers refused to hire writers who where worth their sale or a director who even wants to do the movies. In a hollywood with dozens of skilled, profitable directors who could pull it off and would gladly do the job, they got Bay, a yesman who wouldn't know a good blockbuster if it hit him like a wall of water.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Am i happy? No. I'm never happy. But if you put fire breathing robot dinosaurs in front of me, i might be distracted enough to forget about that unhappiness temporarily.
Anyhow, this is a good philosophy for film. As said above, less arrogant.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
A good idea to go into something. I think the only time a trilogy really worked, save for the original Star Wars movies, was Lord of the Rings, and that's because they filmed it all in one go and then split it up.

Soviet Heavy said:
I wish more movie franchises would be made this way. I get tired of seeing the Two movie Trilogy, where the first film is standalone, and then the second and third are really just a two parter after they sealed the three movie deal.
Yes, this is a very good way to describe the Trilogy effect lately. Good first movie, then a two-parter that doesn't really do well because it wasn't thought out ahead of time. Matrix and Pirates come to mind.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Zontar said:
CriticalMiss said:
What is that supposed to mean? That because there is a show about a group of agents and one about a 40s spy-thriller, the franchise has plateaued? Did they watch The Winter Soldier? The idea that the MCU has reached that point is laughable. And hell, there are 4 more series in production that all look like they will add value to the MCU. I think it's just penis envy.

Hell, the only reason the transformers even went threw it was because the producers refused to hire writers who where worth their sale or a director who even wants to do the movies. In a hollywood with dozens of skilled, profitable directors who could pull it off and would gladly do the job, they got Bay, a yesman who wouldn't know a good blockbuster if it hit him like a wall of water.
sarcasm

noun
noun: sarcasm; plural noun: sarcasms

the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
"she didn't like the note of sarcasm in his voice"
synonyms: derision, mockery, ridicule, satire, irony, scorn, sneering, scoffing, gibing, taunting

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Urm. I don't where this guy got his info from. But i do know (being a member of TFW 2005 and seeing pretty much every bit of news) Hasbro have CONFIRMED the new trilogy.

Either this guy is terribly misinformed (hehe referance? xD) or Hasbro are shifting from Paramount to a different stuido.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
I just can't see myself watching another Transformer's movie.

It's the same thing over and over, getting worse and worse.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
It really has to do with merchandising sales. If the toy sales are crap, they'll probably cancel the next films.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
CriticalMiss said:
Zontar said:
CriticalMiss said:

sarcasm

noun

synonyms: derision, mockery, ridicule, satire, irony, scorn, sneering, scoffing, gibing, taunting

Text

The worst way to use sarcasm
Near impossible to tell sarcasm through text

Please, no more acting like sarcasm is something that just works in text and you need to shame anyone who didn't get it was sarcasm

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
So does any set of three media just get labeled a trilogy these days regardless of them never being planned to be a trilogy and being barely connected aside from featuring the same characters?

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Asuka Soryu said:
CriticalMiss said:
Zontar said:
CriticalMiss said:

sarcasm

noun

Text

The worst way to use sarcasm
Near impossible to tell sarcasm through text

Please, no more acting like sarcasm is something that just works in text and you need to shame anyone who didn't get it was sarcasm
To be honest, I probably should have looked over her comment again. I'm not exactly at a full state of mind right now since I'm going threw salmonella and I'm still getting headaches. Usually I catch the sarcasm in comments based on the context.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Sweet, maybe this will finally free up Bay to make the movie adaptation he should have made years ago: Halo.

I like the one-off approach better because otherwise it guarantees that at least one movie will be worse as its only purpose in life is to set up things for the next one (the second matrix movie is probably one of the best examples of that); the only reason the marvel movies have been getting away with building things up is that they are good movies on their own.

Honestly, though, I think they're just covering themselves in case another catastrophe like the second transformers movie happens where all of the writers go on strike and they're left piecing together a bunch of unrelated action sequences.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Objectable said:
It really has to do with merchandising sales. If the toy sales are crap, they'll probably cancel the next films.
Which will never happen.

Transformers has been going for 30 years for a reason.

Plus even if toy sales fell, the films make billions. Toy sales are icing on the cake for these guys.

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
Giant robots beating the shit out of eachother. What is not to like? Hell, the movies get better every time. More shit beating in every movie. I enjoy the films because I recognize them for what they are: no-story-shut-off-brain-watch-shit-get-blown-up. Same reason I like pacific rim: giant robots beating the shit out of giant monsters. Its not the "pianist" in terms of acting or story. But after a long day I don't want to think that much.

I sincerly hope they make more movies. With more robot ass kicking.

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
I'm going to have to disagree Lorenzo di Bonaventura, which isn't hard because I've been disappointed with the films where he has been a producer.

Planning works. What I've loved about the Marvel Studio films is that it all fits together because there is an overall plan to make everything fit together. But even with fitting together you can still skip a film or two and not end up being lost. With Transformers it's felt really sloppy so you have to bring Megatron back from the dead because you didn't bother to think ahead to what if we get another film. Honestly the Transformers films are so badly written that it seems like they can't even properly plan out a film much less on how to fit badly written films together. A series that punishes you for watching all the films instead of rewarding loyalty.

Spin offs are also a sign of you have so much stuff that you can't fit it all into one film. While I'm not happy with the DC films I do understand that you need to spin off films from Justice League because you just can't put in all the good stuff about the DC heroes and DC villains into one film. Justice League might give us a bit of Wonder Woman, but it takes a Wonder Woman film to really get into the character and her world.

Transformers really isn't as rich of a universe as Lorenzo di Bonaventura thinks. Hasbro has used characters like Prime and Bumblebee too much so it becomes hard to spin off with more than just a handful of Autobots. Transformers isn't very villain diverse either. While Batman, Spiderman, and other comic book heroes have vast rouges galleries with villains that can anchor a film the Decepticons have been a tiny handful of A list characters and a load of thugs and goons who only follow someone like Megatron or Galvatron. Beware the Batman should be a warning that you can't build something off just obscure villains that only the most hard core of hard core geeks will know. Sadly Transformers is stuck with only a handful of A list Decepticons and in their blindness to sequels the live action Transformers films have killed most of them.

Sadly as long as the current production team is on the Transformers series it will only be the shining example of " It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury signifying nothing".

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
arc1991 said:
Urm. I don't where this guy got his info from. But i do know (being a member of TFW 2005 and seeing pretty much every bit of news) Hasbro have CONFIRMED the new trilogy.

Either this guy is terribly misinformed (hehe referance? xD) or Hasbro are shifting from Paramount to a different stuido.
You know that information that is confirmed can be unconfirmed, right? And this guy is the producer. He's the one that handles, like, the whole budget. If anyone would know if a pair of sequels was in production, it would be him.

Hasbro can confirm that they want to make a new trilogy, but until the people making the movie confirm that they're in those planning stages, it's nothing more than a wish. And let's be honest, Hasbro is probably wishing for ten trilogies, so long as they're getting the money in.