LEGO Group Builds Homer's The Odyssey

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
LEGO Group Builds Homer's The Odyssey

The online LEGO group VirtuaLUG has recently unveiled a gallery of their epic recreation of the world and locations of Homer's The Odyssey.

You may recall Homer's The Odyssey as that classic piece of Greek literature that your high school English class briefly touched on before moving on to cover the real "classics" like The Great Gatsby. Following the struggles of the Greek warrior Odysseus to return home after the Trojan War, it's a complex, lengthy adventure that spans decades and includes a smorgasbord of epic set pieces that would make Kratos himself jealous. Put succinctly, it's a cool story and easily one of the most important texts in the history of world literature. So, of course, someone had to go and build a LEGO version of it.

Built by the online <a href=http://www.virtualug.org/aboutus.html>LEGO group VirtuaLUG, the LEGO brick rendition of The Odyssey is, even with its compacted design, a massive massive a build that includes representations of locations from the story including the siege of Troy, the island of the Cyclops Polyphemus, Circe's Island, the Underworld and more. Simply stated, it's a build of epic proportions which, of course, is more than a tad appropriate considering the fact that stories like The Odyssey are very much the early progenitors of the modern concept of the epic and all that it entails.

[gallery=2759]

Which leads us to the point where we can't help but wonder other literary worlds would be well suited for their own LEGO brick adaptation. Just personally I'd love to see someone recreate Westeros or give us a full-fledged LEGO rendition of Middle-Earth. Which stories would you like to see given this treatment and what are your thoughts of LEGO The Odyssey?

Source: Flickr

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Fucking awesome. I would love to have enough Lego to do this myself.

StewShearer said:
Which leads us to the point where we can't help but wonder other literary worlds would be well suited for their own LEGO brick adaptation. Just personally I'd love to see someone recreate Westeros or give us a full-fledged LEGO rendition of Middle-Earth. Which stories would you like to see given this treatment and what are your thoughts of LEGO The Odyssey?
The original Conan stories by Robert E. Howard would offer scope for some awesome lego recreations. Also, a Lego Ramayana would be seriously awesome, but that might invite some controversy given how it's being fought over in India.

Edit: My triple repetition of 'awesome' was intentional, by the way ;)

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Fucking awesome. I would love to have enough Lego to do this myself.

StewShearer said:
The original Conan stories by Robert E. Howard would offer scope for some awesome lego recreations. Also, a Lego Ramayana would be seriously awesome, but that might invite some controversy given how it's being fought over in India.

Edit: My triple repetition of 'awesome' was intentional, by the way ;)
How did I not think of Conan?!? A LEGO Hyboria would be amazing!

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
Those sheep are legit.

I can't believe I actually recognized most of these scenes. Maybe all that reading in school really did stick with me. I'm hard-pressed to say if it was really worth it, but I am checking out a cool lego set...

Gotta say I'd be impressed by a scaled version of City 17. Seeing the Citadel towering over miniature peon houses would be a good centerpiece to any living room.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Screw all that other stuff. I want to see more Homeric epic. I won't be suitably impressed until someone does the catalogue of ships.

Get to it people.

Apr 17, 2009
I really want to know how they did Hermes' winged sandals. I think I recognise the pieces they used but they wouldn't stay in a minifig's legs like that. I really hope it wasn't just liberal application of glue...

Hdawger

Jun 8, 2010
I could see myself buying this if Lego actually released these in boxed sets.

Phipson

Jun 29, 2014
Hey, thanks for your great review of our little project! At the end you asked which other great works would translate well into LEGO... Our group over the past years has also done Middle Earth http://mocpages.com/moc.php/276793 (Yes, ALL of Middle Earth, just like you asked for at the end of your article) Alice in Wonderland http://mocpages.com/moc.php/329222 and just last year was The Wizard of Oz http://mocpages.com/moc.php/362618 Every year at BrickWorld we have a different build that our amazing group of builders puts together. Be sure to check back next year and see what we've come up with! Thanks again and feel free to contact me if you have any questions. ~Chris Phipson.