New Trailer for Dead Island: Epidemic MOBA has Sharknados

Esmeralda Portillo

Jun 16, 2014
New Trailer for Dead Island: Epidemic MOBA has Sharknados

Dead Island: Epidemic is the first ZOMBA, and it's taking the series in a sillier direction.

When the world was first graced with the Dead Island series, it was through an to some people's dismay [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/2773-Dead-Island-Trailer].

But it seems like Deep Silver and Techland are now grasping the true appeal of their franchise, if the trailer for Dead Island 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/9369-Dead-Island-2-E3-Trailer] is any indication. The newest trailer for Dead Island: Epidemic further solidifies the tone shift.

Dead Island: Epidemic is a Dead Island free-to-play MOBA. It pits 4-player teams against a variety of gross zombies in either horde or scout mode, and there's also PvP that puts three 4-player teams against each other. The eSports enthusiast-styled trailer divulges many details about the upcoming game, like the crafting possibilities available.

Oh yeah, and there's sharknados!

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
So MOBAs definitely aren't quite as all-in as MMORPGs, but they still strike me as the sort of thing that most people are really only going to play 1-of just because of the time investment required to get good at a game and start collecting all the stuff.

I could be wrong, but this whole 'Make everything a MOBA' ideology (Seriously, the next Orcs Must Die! game is a freaking MOBA) is looking to lead to about as many dead games as the drive to make an MMO for everybody did.

And just like the MMO thing, if you do decide you really like one of the titles and it doesn't come out on top there's a decent chance the servers will shut down and you will not be able to play it again ever.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Way to have respect for your product. This really has design by committee all over it. But than again Dead Island was just Borderland with Left4Dead and none of the charm of either. Honestly this reminds me of 90's toy commercials so maybe thats why I'm really put off by it, but it failed so hard if it was trying to get me to try its product.

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
I think calling it a MOBA is maybe the wrong choice. I mean, it's completely an totally a MOBA, but people hear MOBA and think League or DOTA or maybe Smite (or they have no idea what a MOBA is). This is definitely not just another League+variation we've seen with other MOBAs, and whether or not it's good, I think this will deliver a very different experience. And it really doesn't look like it's geared towards eSports, even if they try to sell it as such.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I like the look of it but Dead Island really need to pick a gawdamn tone, one moment you're little girls through windows, then you're not, then you're the most dislikable of ass holes who run over little girls in drag races, then you're a couple committing suicide, now this. Borderlands manages to pull off both wacky humor and 'the feels' but Dead Island just isn't interesting!

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Looks a lot closer to Dead Rising than Dead Island. But that's not really a bad thing per se. I love Dead Rising and ultimately lost interest in Dead Island before I was even half way done. I don't mind the tonal shift so much.

What I do mind is that I don't care for MOBAs in the least. Even though this one seems dead set (pun intended) to shake up the conventions, it's still being billed as a MOBA style game and that's going to limit my personal interest.

More power to them though. I hope it works out. Deep Silver has done some interesting stuff so maybe they can pull this off. It'll be interesting to see if it catches on with the sillier tone or not.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Putting my 2 cents about this game out there.
Avoid the game until it officially launches. The developers really seem like they don't know where this is going and have revamped the game/leveling/account system a couple of times already.
And quite honestly this game is one of the most egregious offenders in terms of grinding. Before the many nerfs to experience gain it took 120 hours to reach the Workbench Tier cap (the most important). The game as it is right now is just grind, grind, grind until you're sick of it. Oh and once you finally reach the cap, I hope you enjoy ridiculous que times for matches because the top tier population is insanely small, which is due to the game being a ridiculous grind.

The concept is great....it's just that these guys are reaching way too far way too quickly and the game suffers because of it.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
What is this I don't even

Can we just NOT throw whatever we like against the wall and hope that it sticks? At least zombies are a GOOD idea...

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Mike Hoffman said:
I think calling it a MOBA is maybe the wrong choice. I mean, it's completely an totally a MOBA, but people hear MOBA and think League or DOTA or maybe Smite (or they have no idea what a MOBA is). This is definitely not just another League+variation we've seen with other MOBAs, and whether or not it's good, I think this will deliver a very different experience. And it really doesn't look like it's geared towards eSports, even if they try to sell it as such.
Agreed, if the trailer is any indication the focus seems to be more on co-op PVE rather than PVP, and even in the PVP mode it's, in at least one way, fundamentally different to the "classic" Dota-style mobas because of the presence of 3 teams.

As for the trailer itself, I must say I wasn't interested based on the steam page alone, and that announcer sounds like he's trying to the comical semi-seriousness while simultaneously trying to be professor genki and it just isn't working. However, the content of that vid has made me interested enough to at least give it a try once it's a bit more developed (and I have a computer to actually play it on.)

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
I have 54 hours in this because my best friend who's a zombie addict got me into it, and I can say that none of that time was wasted and I look forward to see what they do next. I pvp WAY more frequently then my friend however, but I always queue up with him for pve when he wants to and vice versa. It's great to sit down and play for 20 minutes before going to work or bed and such.

I have no intention of taking it seriously to play it competitively and the game caters to that quite well. Of course there is sometimes screaming kids in games calling people down but no one takes them seriously and usually asks "why so angry?" and such.