YouTube Bringing 60 FPS Playback Support

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
YouTube Bringing 60 FPS Playback Support

There will soon be a quick and easy way to prove to nonbelievers that yes, there is a noticeable difference between 30 and 60 FPS.

"The human eye can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 FPS," is an outrageous claim that many graphics enthusiasts have had to deal with from nonbelievers at some point, and soon, we will have a quick and easy way to prove them wrong. YouTube, the most popular video streaming service on the web, has just announced plans to bring 48 and 60 FPS video playback to its service.

"Motion-intense videos will look even better on YouTube when we launch support for 48 and even 60 frames per second, coming soon," announced the company over Twitter [https://twitter.com/YTCreators/statuses/482322459413053442]. Just for reference, videos on YouTube are currently capped at 24 FPS, meaning promotional material from developers that attempt to highlight a game's frame rate is near impossible, as the standard has come to be 30 FPS on consoles, and 60 FPS on PC.

Furthermore, content creators will be able to attach a "tip jar" to their videos, allows them to link fundraising services like IndieGoGo and Kickstarter to their YouTube uploads. "Any viewer can show any creator their love by tipping them any amount between $1 and $500," said a company spokesperson.

The 60 FPS change is one that gamers have been clamoring for for a long time. While 24 FPS is perfectly fine for watching movies and TV content, it's woefully inadequate for showing what a game will look like. It'll also hopefully push next-gen console developers a little harder to try and reach the 60 FPS benchmark most PC gamers aim for, as their customers will instantly be able to tell the difference.

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/YTCreators/statuses/482322459413053442]

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
The fact that YouTube didn't support it for so long was the stupidest thing ever really. For me though, I'm still not rendering videos past 30 FPS because it'd just take longer to put them out really.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Well it only took them nine years. Wow, I can't believe YouTube has been around for that long already.

I remember back when I first stumbled across the site in 2006 and thought it was the best thing ever... ah good times.

Slegiar Dryke

Dec 10, 2013
great, more stuff to slow down my already struggling internet connection, with stuff that I personally can't see the difference in even if for some people its the bee's knees....wooo..yay...and stuff..........geeze its too late for me to be commenting, but seriously....good I guess...

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Slegiar Dryke said:
great, more stuff to slow down my already struggling internet connection, with stuff that I personally can't see the difference in even if for some people its the bee's knees....wooo..yay...and stuff..........geeze its too late for me to be commenting, but seriously....good I guess...
If you can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 FPS there may actually be something wrong with you. You should see a doctor.

Check this site out: http://30vs60.com/

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Very good change, it's really important for LPs, video reviews of games and the like. Any word on when they plan to implement the change? The article doesn't mention it.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Slegiar Dryke said:
Eh, I'm guessing you're just used to 30 fps. I kind of didn't care about higher resolutions/bigger screens back when I was used to lower/smaller ones. But especially in games requiring fast response and reflexes, fluid motions and quick turns, fps differences really are extremely noticeable. Now, personally, I'm not that used to the very high fps some have these days (90-120 fps and more), so I tend to feel ~50 fps is enough for me to seem fluid - I can't really tell the difference from 50 to 60+ fps for now - but that fps difference from 30 to 50 is very, very important to me, especially in - funnily enough - FPS as in first person shooters. Nowadays I'll reduce graphical fidelity and resolution if necessary rather than play on 25-35 fps.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
Slegiar Dryke said:
If you can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 FPS there may actually be something wrong with you. You should see a doctor.

Well, can't speak for the guy you're quoting, but after staring at those for a while I have now confirmed that they look about the same to me.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Jadak said:
Well, can't speak for the guy you're quoting, but after staring at those for a while I have now confirmed that they look about the same to me.
I didn't even read the text on the page and I could immediately spot the picture on the right moving much smoother than the one on the left. The difference is like night and day. You can see it in the fire and smoke as well, the 30 FPS looks a lot choppier.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Tank207 said:
Jadak said:
I didn't even read the text on the page and I could immediately spot the picture on the right moving much smoother than the one on the left. The difference is like night and day. You can see it in the fire as well, the 30 FPS looks a lot choppier.
Not so much night and day as 6:00pm and 6:05pm. If it didn't say which was which I don't even think I'd be able to tell. And even when I can see a difference, it's not some indisputable perception of 'better', just different, having the same sort of impact on me as a slight tweak to the brightness level or something.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Jadak said:
Not so much night and day as 6:00pm and 6:05pm. If it didn't say which was which I don't even think I'd be able to tell. And even when I can see a difference, it's not some indisputable perception of 'better', just different, having the same sort of impact on me as a slight tweak to the brightness level or something.
I don't even care about how it looks so much as how it feels. Playing an FPS on 30 fps seems sluggish, unresponsive, at least with a mouse. So I guess for people just watching videos it might not matter as much, making the change for YouTube less important than making the change for actual (console) games/ports away from the "high fidelity with low fps"-approach. Then again, things like aiming-assistance, smoothing and controllers make console FPS rather different anyway and might mitigate some of the noticeable effects of the sluggishness by changing how the game works: Less speed overall, less aiming or instead the inclusion of an "aiming mode". Imagine playing something like Painkiller, Rise of the Triad or Serious Sam with just 30 fps. Yeah, I'm kinda conflating controller with low fps here because the difference is just so clear with a mouse and most people arguing that 60 fps isn't necessary seem to come at it from a console perspective where the controls are very different anyway.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
How about your buffering issues? You didn't have that to begin with, now you can't even pause it and let the video load all the way like you should. Have you fixed the sound issues? The ones you didn't have until some new programming you added screwed it up? Let's talk about your auto-changing resolutions for no apparent reason...

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
You could have 60 FPS videos before. Dailymotion for example supported it. also in youtube you could have 60 fps video render at 30 fps then double the speed on youtube player with java command and it would play at 60 fps in proper speed.

Also, quite ironically, we had 60 fps GIFs to showcase game video better than actual videos nowadays.

Though glad to see them finally get around to it.

"While 24 FPS is perfectly fine for watching movies and TV content"
No its not. its the bare minimum at which rate we dont go insane over the low framerate. its not "perfectly fine", its "the producers cannot be arsed to make it better".

Neronium said:
The fact that YouTube didn't support it for so long was the stupidest thing ever really.
Does Gameanyone support 60 fps videos? you seem to be kind of mentioning that site all the time (and i even actually registered there thanks to you).

It wasnt stupidest thing. It was economic. Whne youtube started it was mostly for things filmed with phone/handheld camera and happened in real life. so there was no large need. later once youtube allwoed longer than 10 minute videos, these videos would take a lot of space on thier servers. imagine the space requirements doubling for 60 fps instead of 30?

Jadak said:
Maybe you should follow Bogos advice then and do get your eyes checked out. this does not sound healthy, looks like perception problem.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Steven Bogos said:
Slegiar Dryke said:

I am bookmarking that shit! I cannot wait for youtube to accept 120FPS in another 9 years. :3

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Yes, finally! I can't wait to start making 60fps playthroughs :D
I hope they let us know when we can start uploading it.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Well now I'll finally be able to see what all the fuss is with 60fps, as it's impossible to tell the difference in a YouTube video unless the footage is slowed down to 20% speed, and even then it's not an accurate rendering.

Also, I can't afford the kind of hardware necessary to produce 60fps, so maybe now I'll finally find out what all the hubbub is about.

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
Isn't it strange that Youtube has been supporting 4K videos for some time now, but not 60fps? Keep in mind that 4K is literally four times the size of 1080p (roughly), while a 60fps video is only twice the size of a 30fps video.

AFAIK flash and HTML5 have always supported 60fps.

So....about damn time Youtube :p

QuadFish

God Damn Sorcerer
Dec 25, 2010
Scrythe said:
Also, I can't afford the kind of hardware necessary to produce 60fps, so maybe now I'll finally find out what all the hubbub is about.
I'm hoping for your sake you do. I was in the same situation for the first 3 or so years I was really getting into gaming. Going from ~35fps to 60fps was the best gaming change I ever made. Made games not just much more enjoyable to play but also a lot easier to play, since it gives you smoother control.

OT: Pretty sure Youtube actually supports 30fps max, not 24, but either way it's not even close to 60. For some videos that really depend on smooth motion it just about kills them. In my video community people spent years perfecting getting 30fps video to emulate the smoothness of 60 through frame blending and techniques like that, but it's never quite the same.

EDIT: This site is a good comparison too: http://www.30vs60fps.com/.