Dota 2 International 2014 Prize Pool Compares to Super Bowl Victor's Money

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Dota 2 International 2014 Prize Pool Compares to Super Bowl Victor's Money

Dota 2 championship The International 2014 has passed $10 million for its prize pool.

The biggest prize pool in esports history only continues to grow. This July 18 - 21, the best Dota 2 players will compete for more than $10 million in prize money.

Last year, Dota 2's International 2013 almost reached $3 million, showing that esports isn't just a fad. With this year's surpassing $10 million, thanks to player funding, the International 2014 compares to the Super Bowl prize money this year of $35 million out of a total prize pool of $576 million. [http://www.cnbc.com/id/101385463#.]

In May, the prize money passed $4 million [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134434-2014-Dota-2-Championship-Has-Biggest-Prize-Pool-in-Esports-History] due to Valve's release of the Compendium. A player's $10 purchase of the Compendium contributes $2.50 to the International 2014 tournament. Since May, the prize pool has increased by $6 million, and Valve started it at $1.6 million.

In traditional crowdfunding style, accruing funds to the prize pool reach stretch goals to unlock rewards for each Compendium owner. The latest includes a Victory Prediction Taunt. With three weeks left to go, Valve could add more stretch goals now that the prize pool is over $10 million.

The International 2014 will be held in Seattle's Key Arena from July 18 to 21. The move to a bigger hall and a significantly larger prize pool speaks to how esports continues to grow with support from fans.

Source: Dota 2 [http://www.dota2.com/international/compendium/]

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
Wow, now that is 100% serious competition. Imagine being second place to that prize money and feeling the bone crushing dissapointment? yikes! I might actually pay attention to this now.

milijanko

Nov 19, 2013
Zeckt said:
Wow, now that is 100% serious competition. Imagine being second place to that prize money and feeling the bone crushing dissapointment? yikes! I might actually pay attention to this now.

That is the total prize pool. So if the shares will be the same as last year, the winner will get 50%, second place 22%, third 10%,... But yeah, if you end up second you get only 2 million :)

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
This is great now they can finally finish the game after the tournament ends. Also love how some of the promised features were reintroduced as stretch goals for the TI 4! Good for you Valve, shame on you community for giving in ;)

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Sseth said:
This is good. The bigger E-Sports get the more attention gaming gets in general, and the more seriously people take competitive gaming!
Agreed. Glad LoL and Dota2 are gaining so much speed. I actually see their competition as a good thing, because it drives the other to be better than before

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Something to keep in in mind here.
If a team went into Ti4 completely fresh, never won anything to do with e-sports before, got through all the qualifiers and everything and won, each individual member of the team would be the 5 people who have earned the most money from e-sports. Ever. In history.

This money is fucking absurd and I love it.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
And Man said:
Any word on how many different teams the pool will be split across?
16 teams are in the tournament main event, but only the top 8 teams are in the money.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Zeckt said:
If the distribution is the same as last time, which it probably isn't but let's pretend it is, you're still winning over 2 million if you come in second.

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
SomeLameStuff said:
And Man said:
Any word on how many different teams the pool will be split across?
16 teams are in the tournament main event, but only the top 8 teams are in the money.
Possibly 15 due to visa issues! All joking aside I wonder when will advertisers learn that Dota 2 fans have plenty of disposable income?