Anime Review: Kyo Kara Maoh!, Season 1

JoshV

Mar 20, 2009
Anime Review: Kyo Kara Maoh!, Season 1

In the course of a 39-episode first season, Kyo Kara Maoh! still hasn't found out what kind of series it wants to be.

Read Full Article

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Hmmm, I didn't watch this when it aired on Animax. For the sole reason that the whole thing was advertised like it was a Bishounen Shipfest (Bishie Shipfest doesn't sound right).

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
Sounds roughly as I'd expected. Thirty nine mediocre episodes is a lot to stomach. Good on you for managing to do so, Josh. ;)

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
I actually watched the whole series with the anime club in my college. Really, I think because we watched it in japanese, there were a lot more gay jokes. Were there a lot of gay jokes in the english dub? Did you watch it in English? Is there an english dub? Huh.

Anyway, I also think it was funnier because of the number of peoiple watching it at once (37, or something like that), so we just had a constant stream of jokes going.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Am watching an episode of Season 2 right now. The Bishie Shipfest I mentioned is now a full-fledged Yaoi blow out. Turns out the blond dude is the fiance of Yuri. Still, people over there have weird customs (the three prongs of a spork denotes a love triangle and a knife means it's a duel), very funny though.

Taniquel

Dec 9, 2008
Having seen all of season 1 and 2 (they are available on DVD) I have to disagree with the "Yaoi blowout" statement. While Yuri is engaged to a guy, nothing ever comes of it. Yuri is decidedly oblivious about the other guys "attraction" to him. This is no Decendants of Darkness.

Plotwise, I have to agree that it moves very slowly. Having nothing but free time right now, and being sick of robots, it is a good time sink. I recently read that Kyo Kara Maoh would not be returning for a 4th season in Japan. Based on that, I believe that there will be many bizarre loose threads left hanging after season 3.