Escape Dead Island Is Series' Foray Into Stealth-Based Survival Horror

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Escape Dead Island Is Series' Foray Into Stealth-Based Survival Horror

<youtube=L51ipbzVhNU>​
Escape Dead Island will be story-driven with comic-inspired visuals.

Deep Silver announced today a new Dead Island title in development from Swedish developer Fatshark. Escape Dead Island is a survival mystery game with a "fresh perspective on the Dead Island universe," according to Alexander Toplansky, Deep Silver senior narrative producer.

Escape Dead Island takes place between Dead Island and the upcoming Dead Island 2. Cliff Calo, the son of a media mogul, decides to make a documentary with his friends on the Banoi outbreak.

Things become surreal when keeping his sanity becomes a struggle. Events that seemed impossible become possible, and strange messages appear. Players can explore the island, but stealth plays a much bigger role in this title than the run headfirst style of other titles in the series. The undead can smell and hear Cliff, so players have to be more careful than before. At the beginning of the game, the player is not equipped to fight zombies, and Cliff isn't immune.

The game is different visually as well. When things become surreal, the visuals change to one of a comic-inspired style with bold lines and colors and high contrast.

[gallery=2800]

Deep Silver characterizes Escape Dead Island primarily as a survival mystery. Players will unearth secrets about the virus and what is real and unreal on the island. Escape Dead Island looks to be a very different game from Dead Island, but it wouldn't be the first in the series; Dead Island: Epidemic is Deep Silver's zombie-heavy multiplayer online battle arena game. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126647-Dead-Island-Epidemic-Teases-Undead-MOBA-Action]

Escape Dead Island will launch on PS3, Xbox 360, and PC this fall with a retail price of $39.99.

Source: PlayStation blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/07/01/escape-dead-island-coming-to-ps3/]

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Okay seriously can someone tell me what the fuck this series is trying to do and how more of them keep getting released?

Starts off with a well directed and kind of sad trailer, releases a shitty game with MASSIVE FUCKING tonal inconsistencies. Releases another decently directed and kind of sad trailer, then makes what is essentially an expansion which apparently was bad. Then a MOBA of all fucking things. Then a well directed and pretty funny trailer, and now a stealth/mystery/thriller/hack'n'slash thing.

There's gotta be some kind of award for biggest "oh god what is popular try everything please make our money back"

dumbseizure

Mar 15, 2009
This news segment sponsored by the phrase "I don't get it", the word "why?", and the sound "eh?".

Seriously, I don't understand what is currently happening.

A mediocre zombie game comes out, then another which isn't a sequel but more an off shoot, then a MOBA, then a proper sequel, and now this bastard child of Dead Island and killer 7/XIII?

Are they trying to turn this into a franchise or are they just trying as much shit as possible to make it sucessful?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
You know, if they made a game where is starts off with a dead zombie kid on the ground, and is played backwards, cutting backwards and forwards until the happy family arrives on the island...ok, I'd not likely play that, but I could really respect that.

Sorry feel sorry for people who make ads that are much better regarded than the product itself.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I'd be willing to give it a chance were it not for the fact that there's this, a fuckin' moba, AND dead island 2 itself being produced at the same time.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
What the fuck is going on over at Deep Silver?

Dead Island was mediocre. Not bad, not great, worth the 5$ I paid for it during a steam sale. It was also glitchy as fuck.

Then Dead Island: Riptide came and boy, that game took a massive step back from Dead Island, which is odd considering Dead Island wasn't very good.

Deep Silver somehow believes the above two games (one mediocre, one awful) is suddenly popular enough to warrant a rapid expansion of the IP into three new games, two of which are dramatic departures of the gameplay of the first?

Are they fucking insane?

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
What everyone else already said.

I don't even know what Deep Silver wants Dead Island to be. If they want it to be survival horror the ZOBA completely scuttles that. If they want to be comedy, the trailers for everything but the ZOBA kill that idea.

I think they're trying to create a Mario franchise at this point. Something where they can throw the main characters into whatever random situation they feel like and have it sort of fit, but they've got a ways to go.

Mar 26, 2008
Err... I like what they say they are trying to do, but what the hell did I just watch? I was expecting something like 'State Of Decay'. Boy was I wrong.

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
I, for one, am enjoying this immensely. I get why people don't like this series, but I take it for what it is, and enjoy that they are willing to experiment with it.

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
Gennadios said:
What everyone else already said.

I don't even know what Deep Silver wants Dead Island to be. If they want it to be survival horror the ZOBA completely scuttles that. If they want to be comedy, the trailers for everything but the ZOBA kill that idea.

I think they're trying to create a Mario franchise at this point. Something where they can throw the main characters into whatever random situation they feel like and have it sort of fit, but they've got a ways to go.
I think they're just trying to turn Dead Island into a sort of umbrella series for zombie games of many kinds. Hell, Dead Island 1 and Riptide are the only DI games with the same main characters.