Guardians of the Galaxy "Awesome Mix Vol. 1" Soundtrack List Released

WldCard

Mar 20, 2010
Guardians of the Galaxy "Awesome Mix Vol. 1" Soundtrack List Released

Marvel's upcoming sci-fi movie bringing a whole new meaning to "Space Jam."

Keeping the hype machine rolling for Marvel's upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy flick, writer/director James Gunn gave fans a little peek at the songs included on the movie's uniquely retro soundtrack. announcing the official track list [https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152529418799570&set=a.21586549569.27113.759774569&type=1].

Fans that have watched the Guardians of the Galaxy trailers already know that one of Peter Quill's (Chris Pratt) most cherished items is his old school Sony Walkman and a mix tape of songs he made before being taken into space as a child. According to Gunn, the track list for the soundtrack includes:
Blue Swede - "Hooked on a Feeling"
Raspberries - "Go All the Way"
Norman Greenbaum - "Spirit in the Sky"
David Bowie - "Moonage Daydream"
Elvin Bishop - "Fooled Around and Fell in Love"
10cc - "I'm Not in Love"
Jackson 5 - "I Want You Back"
Redbone - "Come and Get Your Love"
The Runaways - "Cherry Bomb"
Rupert Holmes - "Escape (The Pina Colada Song)"
The Five Stairsteps - "O-O-H Child"
Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terrell - "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"

When asked about the songs included in the movie and the soundtrack, Gunn stated, "Marvel was kind enough to shell out for every single song I requested." Also, he let fans know that the songs which made it onto the soundtrack aren't all the songs he used during filming, writing:

"NOTE this is not the entirety of the Mixed Tape that Peter Quill listens to, the one that I gave to Chris Pratt that he listened to endlessly before the movie started. That is a longer list, that includes these songs, among others. I'll release that full list closer to the release of them film."

Guardians of the Galaxy hits theaters nationwide on Friday, August 1st. The official soundtrack is scheduled to release earlier that week on Tuesday, July 29th.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
When asked about the songs included in the movie and the soundtrack, Gunn stated, "Marvel was kind enough to shell out for every single song I requested."

Yeah I'm sure that was so hard /s

"Hey Warner, Sony and Universal music we want to put some of you old 80's songs in a Marvel film and on it's official soundtrack how much?"

Big 3 music labels "TAKE THEM, TAKE THEM ALL!"

AidoZonkey

Musician With A Heart Of Gold
Oct 18, 2011
I havent used a mix tape since I was little but did they really have enough space for all of these songs plus more?
Even still this soundtrack is an amazing throw back and I love it. Cant wait for this film

AidoZonkey

Musician With A Heart Of Gold
Oct 18, 2011
Sleekit said:
C90s (45 mins a side, 90 mins total) were the most common.

C60s (30 mins a side, 60 min total) were the cheap ass option.

C120s (60mins a side, 120 min total) were the smart asses option but tended to get "chewed up" by equipment because the tape was very thin.

there are 12 songs so at an average of say 4 ish mins per song that's 48 mins...ish...

basically it's one 45 min side of a C90.
Wow seriously thought that they could only do 30mins total tops, shows how much I remember about mix taps..... You win this round guardians of the galaxy.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
this is some choice stuff, and it gives us a timeframe for when Quill was taken into space.
Captain America: The Winter Soldier had an official soundtrack, right? If it did, I hope "Trouble Man" was on it.

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
youji itami said:
When asked about the songs included in the movie and the soundtrack, Gunn stated, "Marvel was kind enough to shell out for every single song I requested."

Yeah I'm sure that was so hard /s

"Hey Warner, Sony and Universal music we want to put some of you old 80's songs in a Marvel film and on it's official soundtrack how much?"

Big 3 music labels "TAKE THEM, TAKE THEM ALL!"
I apologize in advance if you already know this, but you wouldn't believe how expensive licensing songs can get. Using one Beatles song cost Mad Men 250K (and that was probably something of a bargain - the surviving controllers of the Beatles recordings rights are very picky about who they license to.) While a lot of these songs will be relatively inexpensive compared to The Beatles, remember that there is no way Disney shelled out for a temporary license. They would have paid top dollar for every song to make certain they will always be seen in any version of the film, whether broadcast on TV, on home video/streaming, or in theaters, for as long as disney owns the movie. It's possible the costs to secure these licenses got up into the low millions, which, after spending however many millions on everything else, you can see why it's not a given Disney would want to spend even more on song rights.

It says a lot about Disney's faith in this movie and in Gunn's aesthetic ideas that they paid up. This makes me even more wanting to see it.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Part of me is really really really hoping that they release this on cassette. that would bring me back.