Layoffs Hit Wolfenstein Multiplayer Studio on Launch Day

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Layoffs Hit Wolfenstein Multiplayer Studio on Launch Day

The good news: Endrant Studios [http://www.wolfenstein.com/].

Set after the events that unfolded in the 2002 FPS Return to Castle Wolfenstein [http://www.idsoftware.com/games/wolfenstein/rtcw/], Wolfenstein sees the Nazis returning to their supernatural experimentation and eventually discovering The Veil, a new dimension with amazing powers the Nazis intend to put to use in their war effort. Once again, OSA agent B.J. Blazkowicz is called upon to uncover their evil plans, bring them to a halt and save the day.

Unfortunately, the release of the game isn't good news for everyone: With the game out the door, an unspecified number of employees at Endrant Studios, which developed the multiplayer component of the game, have been laid off. Endrant was formed in July 2008 and Wolfenstein was its first project.

"We have recently completed a development cycle and have regrettably been forced to make adjustments to staff and headcounts," a company rep told GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/wolfenstein-multiplayer-team-axed-on-release-day]. "Those affected are valued members of our team who have worked incredibly hard on our latest title. We hope that they land on their feet quickly."

The timing sucks but unfortunately, post-release layoffs aren't all that terribly uncommon. Studios need people to make games but once those games are made, smaller operations like Endrant often can't afford to maintain inflated headcounts, particularly if they don't have a new project they can immediately step into.

I can't imagine a worse time to be slapped with a pink slip than on a day when you should be celebrating the launch of a major game, especially given the iffy state of the economy, but I hope the Wolfenstein multiplayer absolutely rocks and everyone affected by the cuts "lands on their feet" soon.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Can't wait to get this :D
Wait, what platforms is it on?

Edit: Ok, I checked the page... Now to decide whether to get it on 360 or PC...

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Fine, this doesn't sound to out of the ordinary to me.

Unless they have another project lined up immediately after the previous one ships, there'll be a lot of staff (designers, artists and writers in main) not needed. If their contract is to look after the multiplayer it could be months or years before they're needed again. It doesn't make business sense to keep them unless they're really somethin special.

Watch creative forums and you see it all the time, studio finishes project, lot's of people looking for new jobs.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Greyfox105 said:
Can't wait to get this :D
Wait, what platforms is it on?

Edit: Ok, I checked the page... Now to decide whether to get it on 360 or PC...
PC it gave birth to wolfenstein, personally I'm not interested in the game

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
"Good work men, job well done."

YOU'RE ALL FIRED!
my view exactly, this does seem incredibly harsh of Endrant Studio's to fire their employee's as soon as they've finished the game... =\

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Same thing happened in America's Army 3, only a bit later.

...And we all know how popular the game is today. Can't wait for the first batch of bad reviews.

brewbeard

Nov 29, 2007
This kind of thing makes me hesitant about my plans for a career in the games industry. It seems to me that better planning and hiring practices could make the post-release layoffs that have been occurring with increasing frequency un-necessary.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
That's unfortunate for them, but I can't bring myself to be sad.
Why?
Because there's a new Wolfenstein in town! YAY!

Ganryu

May 15, 2009
Yeah! They all deserved it! This whole game is a mess, including the single player part. The Pc version is just a crappy port.