Warner Bros. Announces DVD Release Date For Classic Batman Series

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Warner Bros. Announces DVD Release Date For Classic Batman Series

In addition, Adam West, Burt Ward and Julie Newmar will promote the release at a major SDCC panel

Warner Bros. has set a November release date for the original Batman TV series on Blu-ray and DVD, clearly targeting the holiday gift season for one of the most-requested classic TV releases ever.

Despite the fame of the series and the enduring popularity of the Batman franchise, the iconic series has been unavailable (save for its sole theatrical movie spin-off) on home video for decades owing to complicated issues related to the licensing of music and celebrity cameos on TV series in that era. With those issues now (apparently) resolved, Warner Bros. is planning a major push for the series - including bringing Adam West (Batman), Burt Ward (Robin), and Julie Newmar (the first Catwoman), to San Diego Comic-Con for a high-profile panel in Hall H.

Batman ran on ABC for 3 seasons and 120 episodes between 1966 and 1968, and was the most widely-visible adaptation of Batman to generations of fans. Though it fell out of favor among some fans during the "gritty" era of comics fandom in the 80s and 90s, the series (which mixed the structure and stylized-acting of 1940s serials with a then-current 60s art/fashion aesthetic and comic-book sound effects) is remembered for contributing significantly the overall Batman mythos. In addition to "rehabilitating" what were at the time long-unused villains like Catwoman, Penguin and the Riddler, the series was the point of origin for Mr. Freeze and the Barbara Gordon incarnation of Batgirl.

Source: WB Online [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTGAXBeYDcM]

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
Finally. Fifty freakin' years. Good luck to anyone who wants Gilligan's Island on DVD. No, seriously, good luck with that. You have problems I don't want to think about. (Just to allay my worst fears, I just went to check on that. Gilligan's been on DVD for some time now. ... I don't know whether to set the house on fire or just jump off of a bridge. What cannot be cured must be endured, I suppose.)

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
Ultratwinkie said:
We finally can see the majesty that is Joker and Batman's surfing contest!

I mean seriously, why now? Why after almost 50 years of waiting? Why must any and all classic TV shows be censored from both physical and digital release? I mean, really? Who the hell is going to lose money by putting old TV shows on something like Hulu?

I mean, some 90s shows get impossible to find.
It's not about losing money it's about all the surviving cast and crew wanting there cut of something that isn't going to make that much money in the first place.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
I've read about some of the crazy [http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Batman-Watchmen-Batman-Deal-Reported/10573] involved in getting this sorted out, so it's moderately impressive to see it all resolved.

It also proves that none of these problems are actually insurmountable, which means Sony and E4 have no excuses for not getting off their duffs and giving me the DVD release of As If I've been wanting for ten years. Bastards.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
We finally can see the majesty that is Joker and Batman's surfing contest!

I mean seriously, why now? Why after almost 50 years of waiting? Why must any and all classic TV shows be censored from both physical and digital release? I mean, really? Who the hell is going to lose money by putting old TV shows on something like Hulu?

I mean, some 90s shows get impossible to find.
:eek:

I used to watch that show. And I knew it was crazy....but....a surf contest? I.....er.....*flabbergasted*

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
It would have been nice if they fixed those licensing issues and released a full box set months(or better yet, years) ago. I need to find a b-day present for my father and he already has the M*A*S*H set.
youji itami said:
It's not about losing money it's about all the surviving cast and crew wanting there cut of something that isn't going to make that much money in the first place.
So basically if you want DVDs of your favorite pre-DVD era shows, you have to outlive most of the people who made it and then wait for the executives(who might not have hit puberty yet) in charge of the company who owns the IP to finally get greedy enough to give in to negotiations with other IP owners that might attack them otherwise?

Sounds like typical entertainment industry practice. No wonder "Keep Circulating the Tapes" is a popular trope.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I'm way happier about that than I should be. I always had a certain fondness for 60s Batman and I'm so glad to see it finally get a DVD release. I always enjoyed the pulpy, colourful pop-art sensibility it had and see it as one of the most unique and compelling interpretations of Batman.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
I love how this has happened on the same day they released that promo image of Superman from Dawn of Justice. On the one hand, you have gaudy, over-the-top '60s Batman, which was actually fun; and on the other, there's a brooding, gloomy Superman in a rainy Gotham greyscape.

It's kind of sad how we've transitioned from one to the other. I'm not saying every superhero has to be campy and silly, because that would be ridiculous, but it would be nice if DC's film division remembered that the World's Finest Superheroes are supposed to have at least a little hope and optimism to them.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Anachronism said:
I love how this has happened on the same day they released that promo image of Superman from Dawn of Justice. On the one hand, you have gaudy, over-the-top '60s Batman, which was actually fun; and on the other, there's a brooding, gloomy Superman in a rainy Gotham greyscape.

It's kind of sad how we've transitioned from one to the other. I'm not saying every superhero has to be campy and silly, because that would be ridiculous, but it would be nice if DC's film division remembered that the World's Finest Superheroes are supposed to have at least a little hope and optimism to them.
Well said, good sir. As a fellow comic fan who's sick to death of the grim & gritty movement, I am truly glad to see the 1966 Batman TV series coming to DVD and Blu-ray.

As for the new Superman photo, I've already offered my two cents about that craptacular image in a previous message thread.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
I have the movie on blu ray. It's a crowner for the best worst movie to me.

I'm also pissed that when you fight the Penguins shark in Arkham City no one makes a quip about shark repellent spray.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I wonder if Adam West will do some signed autographed copies of the dvd, it will run paralled to the Batman TAS episode "Beware of the Grey Ghost" episode abliet Adam West hasn't been a washup after his role in Batman (I think) nor do we have a proper "Batman" (those real life superheroes doesn't count) inspired from Adam West Batman show.