Civilization: Beyond Earth Gets Release Date, Pre-Order Bonus

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
Civilization: Beyond Earth Gets Release Date, Pre-Order Bonus

Settle aliens worlds in Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth on October 24, 2014.

Firaxis Games will become available [https://www.facebook.com/pages/Firaxis-Games/134693940170?hc_location=timeline] closer to the release of the game. Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth is a spiritual successor to Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, built with the Civilization V engine.

The latest entry in the Civilization franchise brings settlers to alien worlds and introduces new leaders and factions. The science fiction take on Civilization features alien units instead of barbarian camps, and some hexes contain nasty alien miasma that prevents improvements and must be removed with advanced technology. Greg Tito went developer walkthrough [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/e32014/11475-Civilization-Beyond-Earth-Hands-On-Sci-Fi-Skinned-Strategy-Update] of Beyond Earth, including gameplay footage.

In an interview with The Escapist [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134629-Civilization-Beyond-Earth-Gets-New-Screens-Designer-Interview], co-lead designers Will Miller and David McDonough spoke to Greg Tito about the inspiration for Civilization: Beyond Earth. Miller says, "We're huge fans of Alpha Centauri, we played that game a lot. That game was a great companion to Civilization II and Civilization III, but Beyond Earth really draws from the entire legacy of the Civilization franchise. We learned a lot since then, and we've put all of that into this new product. So, Beyond Earth certainly makes homages to Alpha Centauri but it is a very different game."

Source: Firaxis Games [https://www.facebook.com/pages/Firaxis-Games/134693940170?hc_location=timeline]

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I'm downright terrified of this coming October. I think I can hear my GPA falling already. Evolve, Shadow of Mordor, Inquisition, and Beyond Earth in one month, my body is not ready. Nor is my wallet.

novem

Nov 18, 2009
Really hoping this is more Alpha Centauri and less Civilization. Alpha Centauri was my first TBS game and despite playing almost all of them, I?ve never felt that any of the CIV games have come close to replicating the amount of character and unique options that AC had.

I still remember the first time I was playing as the Nautilus Pirates and bribed a couple factions to get them to pass the ordinance to melt the polar ice caps. The resulting flood dropped all coastal cities on the planet into the ocean and opened up new waterways to expand my naval empire. It was glorious!

JayDeth

Dec 18, 2009
*drools* I've wasted so much time with the Civ series. I can't imagine where they plan to go after space. I recall Power Rangers had this same problem...

Xeorm

Apr 13, 2010
novem said:
Really hoping this is more Alpha Centauri and less Civilization. Alpha Centauri was my first TBS game and despite playing almost all of them, I?ve never felt that any of the CIV games have come close to replicating the amount of character and unique options that AC had.

I still remember the first time I was playing as the Nautilus Pirates and bribed a couple factions to get them to pass the ordinance to melt the polar ice caps. The resulting flood dropped all coastal cities on the planet into the ocean and opened up new waterways to expand my naval empire. It was glorious!
It's looking more and more doubtful that it will be all that much like Alpha Centauri, unfortunately. I do not have high hopes for this one.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
October is looking like it's gonna be an expensive month, both in time and money.

Ah well.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
MarlaDesat said:
Pre-orders of the game will include the Exoplanets map pack. The map pack includes six custom maps [https://twitter.com/CivGame/status/484703608710393856], based on real exoplanets (planets that orbit a star other than our Sun).
Amazing marketing. Astronomers still have a very vague idea of what the surface of those "Superearth" exoplanets might look like, judging only by such factors as their mass and distance from their parent stars. And yet Firaxis sells map packs "based on real exoplanets", which most likely are just named random maps.

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
Xeorm said:
It's looking more and more doubtful that it will be all that much like Alpha Centauri, unfortunately. I do not have high hopes for this one.
That makes me sad. I picked up Alpha Centauri a couple of weeks ago, and its remarkable. I found Civ IV to be uninspired and boring (haven't played V yet, got it the steam sale though, so who knows?), and despite being based on an older game and engine, Alpha Centauri blows it out the water. Why haven't they done a HD remake of AC with a more modern UI? That would be awesome.

Xeorm

Apr 13, 2010
Megalodon said:
Xeorm said:
That makes me sad. I picked up Alpha Centauri a couple of weeks ago, and its remarkable. I found Civ IV to be uninspired and boring (haven't played V yet, got it the steam sale though, so who knows?), and despite being based on an older game and engine, Alpha Centauri blows it out the water. Why haven't they done a HD remake of AC with a more modern UI? That would be awesome.
They can't make a remake of it because it's stuck in copyright hell right now, unfortunately.

The Civ series I've found entertaining, but uninspired. They lack the emotion that Alpha Centauri has, for sure. Still good though, I think.

This one looks to be similar to other future games, bland and "clean" would be the best word for it. Everything's white, smooth, and eager to be politically correct, aside from a few easy targets. It's depressing, I miss the emotion of earlier games, back when it seemed like they knew how to write for a strategy game.

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
Xeorm said:
Megalodon said:
Xeorm said:
They can't make a remake of it because it's stuck in copyright hell right now, unfortunately.

The Civ series I've found entertaining, but uninspired. They lack the emotion that Alpha Centauri has, for sure. Still good though, I think.

This one looks to be similar to other future games, bland and "clean" would be the best word for it. Everything's white, smooth, and eager to be politically correct, aside from a few easy targets. It's depressing, I miss the emotion of earlier games, back when it seemed like they knew how to write for a strategy game.
Between who? I only came across AC properly when totalbiscuit did a wtf of Pandora: First Contact, gushed at length over AC, and it turned out to be less than 2 quid of GOG.

So, another JJ Abrams Star Trek-esque iFuture then? How very disappointing.

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
i remember alpha centauri launching and its still on my hard drive.

the thing is with civ now , we all know its going to need at least 2 expansions to catch up to the standard

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
Well, I'm looking forward to it.

The Civ games are what me and my girlfriend play together, but we've gotten a few hundred hours of it and it's getting a little stale.

There is also the fact that it makes little difference who you're playing except in the semantic sense, and because the tech tree is so linear, it also makes little difference in the long run.

But now, a game which branches off and makes everyone look very different and play differently? This sounds pretty amazing, and I've already pre-ordered 2 copies of it for me and her.

I also replayed Alpha Centuri recently (found the box in the back of my closet). It really hasn't aged well, has it? I didn't think it was particularly amazing this time, but I remember liking it as a child, so I don't know what has changed.