Sheep-Mounted Cameras Will Capture the Tour de France In Yorkshire

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
Sheep-Mounted Cameras Will Capture the Tour de France In Yorkshire

Five sheep have been outfitted with Sony ActionCams for the Yorkshire leg of the 2014 Tour de France.

Five sheep from the Harewell Hall Farm in Yorkshire, England have been drafted as camera operators in time for the 2014 Tour de France. The first leg of the Tour de France [http://www.letour.com/us/] begins on Saturday, July 5 in Leeds, and ends 190 kilometers (118 miles) later in Harrogate. Along the way, the competitors will be filmed by farmer Ian Hammond's "sheepcams". A Sony HD AS100VR ActionCam, mounted on a modified dog harness, has been fitted for each of the five sheep.

The remote control cameras, which are similar to a GoPro, are splash-proof and feature Advance SteadyShot stabilization, which will compensate for the sheep's wobbles. The ActionCams will be remotely controlled by Hammond, using Sony's Live-View Remote. Hammond will be able to control all five cameras using the remote. The camera's built in GPS will provide location information for each of the sheep, so that the footage can be overlaid with a map of the race's route. Sony's publicity stunt aims to show off the camera's sturdiness and image stabilization. Hopefully the sheep will manage some decent footage, but for now the photo shoot promoting the camera is fantastic.

[gallery=2813]

Yorkshire has been busy preparing [http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/03/yorkshire-prepares-for-tour-de-france-2014-start-4785265/] to welcome the Tour de France's Grand Départ. A replica of the Eiffel Tower, standing 25 feet tall, has been built along the route. Other sheep have been painted or outfitted with jerseys to celebrate competitors.

Usually when animals are transmitting data, they are being tracked by scientists, like these sharks who report their position [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130882-These-Sharks-Use-Twitter-To-Warn-Swimmers-Of-Their-Approach] on Twitter. Perhaps one day, animals outfitted with cameras will be used to record images and map places where cars cannot go. What do you think, is there a Google Sheep View in our future?

Source: Trendhunter [http://www.techdigest.tv/2014/07/sony_strap_a_ca.html]

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Hahahahaha. Ah Yorkshire.

I can't imagine the footage being all too great but if it is then that's great marketing for Sony.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I will admit, I did a double take when it came to the title of this article. Now, not only will you count sheep in your sleep, now the sheep will record you as you sleep. :p

If this works, this'll be definitely an interesting marketing thing for Sony: "Buy our Action Cameras, sheep-certified to work or your money baaaahck."

...okay that was terrible, I'll be leaving now.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I've got to ask why this is is any way better than say, a tree. Or just a camera stand. Doesn't this have a much higher likelihood of failing to give any sort or reliable pictures?

I'm going to assume that this is just for publicity.

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
We'll that's one way to get a Scotsman's eye view of the race. Give him some velcro gloves and rollerblades and he would be able to compete in the race.

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
Lightknight said:
I've got to ask why this is is any way better than say, a tree. Or just a camera stand. Doesn't this have a much higher likelihood of failing to give any sort or reliable pictures?

You don't understand.

It's Yorkshire.

There are sheep everywhere.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013

This is why I love the North, we always come up with cracking ideas like sheep cameras, steel and irn bru.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Great plug for Sony's camera there guys. I am looking forward to seeing terrible footage of Yorkshire. This is the worst idea practically.

Oh look, Gopro's new ad features slow mo models swimming and surfing. Gee, I wonder which I will buy

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Lightknight said:

Well yes. As the article says, it's publicity stunt intended to show off the cameras' sturdiness and image stabilisation. The main problem being that GoPros, and other cameras for that matter, are routinely used in far more extreme environments. "Our camera can survive being tied to a sheep in a field" hardly seems like much of an advert when everyone else is saying "Our cameras can survive skydiving, mountain biking, jumping off waterfalls, and any other shit you might like to throw at them".

RazgrizRex

Jul 3, 2014
The cameras seem to be facing the same direction as the sheep are. Can they remotely control which way the camera is facing? It looks like if the sheep raised its head it would block most if not all of the picture :/

Caffeine_Bombed

Feb 13, 2012
Speaking as someone who lives near part of the route: I'll be glad when this weekend's over.
Most cyclists around here ignore the cycle paths that were purposefully built for them and now most of the Dales are cut off to dedicate a day to it. And let's not forget the spectators using resident's parking spots or the folks trying to impose parking charges at the local corner shops!

Caffeine_Bombed

Feb 13, 2012
CriticalMiss said:

This is why I love the North, we always come up with cracking ideas like sheep cameras, steel and irn bru.
IRN BRU: The greatest hangover cure. They should serve it on tap at pubs.