Behold, Shovel Knight's "Butt Mode"

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
Behold, Shovel Knight's "Butt Mode"

Inputting a specific name at the start of the game replaces a butt-load of game text...with butts.

With a name like Shovel Knight, you'd be forgiven for expecting a decent amount of whimsy. For developer Yacht Club Games, though, whimsy apparently comes in the form of butts. The recently revealed easter egg "Butt Mode" pretty much does exactly what it sounds like - it takes some of the most commonly used phrases in the game and, with the surgical precision of an eight-year old's Mad Libs book, replaces them all with the word "butt."

Titular hero "Shovel Knight" becomes "Butt Butt," his companion "Shield Knight" is now "Shield Butt" and "fate," the ancient powers of fortune that some say dictates the course of all lives, is...well, its "butt." To plunge into "Butt Mode," players just need to input "WSWWAEAW" or "X&BUTT" when naming their save file. For those of you who care more about achievements than this butt-ressing of the game's story, keep in mind that any cheat codes, including "Butt Mode," will disable the game's "Feats" achievement tracker.

For more info on Shovel Knight check out our review of the game <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/11784-Shovel-Knight-Review-Digging-For-Trouble>here. Jim Sterling called it a game that "oozes charm" but is probably best appreciated by fans of the difficult, retro games it homages.

Source: <a href=http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/4/5870663/shovel-knight-has-a-secret-mode-that-replaces-some-nouns-with-butt>Polygon, <a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdG_WS8v60g>CastleGeekSkull (YouTube)

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
This made me chortle.
Apparently I'm 6.
I may just have to do another run on Shovel Knight just because of this.

Slegiar Dryke

Dec 10, 2013
Calling it now, with a mode like that, who else bets Game Grumps Arin won't be able to resist hopping aboard a steam train to play in that mode? XD

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
??

Shovel Knight isn't a 'difficult' game. It's gotta few spots that can go fuck them selves, but over all, no, it's not a 'difficult' game.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Brian Tams said:
If this were a AAA game, then Butt Mode would be locked behind a 4.99 paywall.
You mean if this were by UbiSoft, EA, or Capcom, then it'd be behind it. Just because a game is AAA, doesn't mean it's automatically gonna have everything behind paywalls... >.>
I find it a problem that people today just cast all AAA titles as doing the same shit when it's only a small number of publishers doing these asshole things.

OT: I'll have to do another playthrough just to do this then. I love it when little codes like that are added into the game. XD

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Okay, I got this as a gift. I now need to test it. And then laugh like a loon because butt.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Neronium said:
Brian Tams said:
If this were a AAA game, then Butt Mode would be locked behind a 4.99 paywall.
You mean if this were by UbiSoft, EA, or Capcom, then it'd be behind it. Just because a game is AAA, doesn't mean it's automatically gonna have everything behind paywalls... >.>
I find it a problem that people today just cast all AAA titles as doing the same shit when it's only a small number of publishers doing these asshole things.

OT: I'll have to do another playthrough just to do this then. I love it when little codes like that are added into the game. XD
Yeah, I probably shouldn't have cast such a wide net.

Still, it does seem like more and more companies are hiding features that were once selling secrets that used to come with the game as DLC.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Brian Tams said:
Yeah, I probably shouldn't have cast such a wide net.

Still, it does seem like more and more companies are hiding features that were once selling secrets that used to come with the game as DLC.
You mean like how DLC used to be? For some games, there is not enough time to put everything in the game, and it is either scrapped, or worked into as DLC. The latest Mario Gold did that. While more and more companies are doing it, there doing it for the most part because they're seeing people are still buying it despite all the outcry about it, so until that changes it's only gonna get worse.

The only DLC I ever buy is full on expansions for Bethesda RPGs, and even then I didn't buy them initially for Skyrim, and just got the Legendary Edition for PC instead.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
There is an interesting ad-on for Chrome that does something similar with the word "cloud". It will provide a great amount of laughs in the office when your browser is talking about enough "Butt storage to hold 12,000 songs".

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
I was honestly disappointed by that video. There were a lot fewer "butts" in the text than I was expecting....

Slegiar Dryke said:
Calling it now, with a mode like that, who else bets Game Grumps Arin won't be able to resist hopping aboard a steam train to play in that mode? XD
Oh, god yes!