Persona 3 Coming to PSP

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Persona 3 Coming to PSP

Atlus is bringing Persona 3 to the PSP in Japan, but it's more than just a quick-and-dirty port.

Persona is proving to be quite the cash cow for Atlus, and will continue to be later this year when the third game in the franchise gets its third iteration, when Atlus releases Persona 3 Portable for the PSP in Japan. Revealed in this week's Famitsu, Persona 3 Portable will come out on November 1 and features a host of new features that might make it worth it to devote another 60-80 hours to dating your classmates and dungeon crawling.

The biggest addition is the inclusion of a new female main character, who, as you can tell from scans [http://img20.imagevenue.com/aAfkjfp01fo1i-28992/loc428/78068_viploader_122_428lo.jpg], sports short brown hair and a passing likeness to Persona 4's Rise Kujikawa. She's got the same dangling earphone accessorizing as the male protagonist, but the fact that she is actually sorta smiling and doesn't have her hair in her face might mean that she's not exactly of the same emo-tastic breed as him.

The female character isn't just a quick gender swap like in a Pokemon game. Considering a huge part of Persona 3 is developing sometimes romantic relationships with other characters, it makes sense that Atlus is retooling the game with new relationships and different events. This probably means you'll get to go out with dudes as opposed to girls, but who knows, maybe Atlus will let you play both sides. That would be nice and progressive of them. The male main character mode will also feature new events and social links, so manly men don't have to feel left out in the cold.

Persona 3 Portable is based on the last version of Persona 3, the expanded FES. Other new features include five difficulty levels, including the exciting sounding "Maniacs" setting, and some conveniences brought over from Persona 4: the ability to fast travel around the world map with an always accessible menu and the option to manually control all characters in battle.

So, three versions of Persona 3. This sounds like a pretty worthwhile update, though. Atlus has yet to announce a domestic release, but I'm pretty sure you can count on it. Better side aside 100 hours of your life while you're ahead.

[Via IGN [http://psp.ign.com/articles/101/1014865p1.html]]

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Well at least another good PS2/3 game is being ported to the PSP.

It seems ports are the only reason why I still have my PSP.

KingKamor

Jul 8, 2008
First the original Persona, and now ANOTHER updated version of P3 is coming to the PSP, too? Now I REALLY need to get one of those things.

I practically cried tears of joy at the news of a female protagonist. Just think of all the shenanigans that could go on now! This is the first game that I've actually been really psyched about for a long time.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Eeeee, this is interesting news indeed. I'm still going through Persona 3:FES, but I'll be grabbing Persona 4 shortly after I'm done with 3. This just gives me more reasons to own a PSP :D

Poor wallet...

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Jumplion said:
Eeeee, this is interesting news indeed. I'm still going through Persona 3:FES, but I'll be grabbing Persona 4 shortly after I'm done with 3. This just gives me more reasons to own a PSP :D

Poor wallet...
Exactly what I was thinking. I've been pondering getting one for a while, and all these new releases are pushing me to get one.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
God dammit Sony....WHY do you like torturing my wallet!! It cries itself to sleep every night because of you, and my PSP laughs in it's face.

pigeon_of_doom

Vice-Captain Hammer
Feb 9, 2008
How much extra content can those Atlus fiends keep delivering? Their formidable support for their fanbase is increasingly admirable though, how many companies would have been content with a straight port and a couple of meaningless features.

Takoto

Mar 25, 2009
The new female main character looks like an older, shorter-haired version of Rise.
I wish I had a PSP.

plastic_window

Jun 29, 2008
Sweet. My PSP's been gathering dust for a long time now, and if they retooled the gameplay then I may have to buy this. I played Persona 4 and loved it, and I'm told Persona 3 is just as good. Haven't picked it up yet, though, and I think I'd rather go for this port if they're fixing some of the original issues.

Worsle

Jul 4, 2008
The male version of Elisabeth is interesting though thinking about it the main cast is rather limited in its available male cast. With Junpie having far to important a character arc for a romance with the MC, Ken being to young and the other being a dog unless it goes somewhere weird you are just left with Akihiko. I guess some other the male social links can be retooled and maybe some swapped genders in the main cast (a male Aegis?).

However if this comes with the answer as well as the fully controllable teams I would buy it, the female main character just makes it even better.

Caimekaze

Feb 2, 2008
Oh.

Oh my lord. I want this so badly. I really, really hope they make an English version of this.

Then Persona 4. If they create a portable edition of Persona 4, my gaming life will be complete.

<3

Dudeakoff

Jul 22, 2009
I was tempted to get the FES version when that came out (already owning the first iteration), so I'll almost be definitely getting this. Would have preferred Persona 5 though...

nohorsetown

Dec 8, 2007
Hmm, that's pretty cool. I'd prefer a revamp of Persona 2, maybe even an English release for Innocent Sin (first half of Persona 2, never officially translated), but this is still nice. Thank gawd they're smoothing it out Persona-4 style. The no-direct-character-control thing always bugged the hell outta me. Damn, I can't really go spending money on a PSP right now tho.. grumble grumble.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
HAHA I KNEW WHEN EVERYONE CALLED IT CRAP THE PSP STILL HAD A PLACE IN MY HEART I KNEW ONE DAY IT WOULD REIGN MUHAHAHAHAHAHA all these new releases makes me so happy to see that little boy growing up -sniff-