Command & Conquer Multiplayer Resurrected After GameSpy Collapse

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Command & Conquer Multiplayer Resurrected After GameSpy Collapse

Using free server emulation technology, the RTS classics become playable once again.

They say you never know what you have until it's gone. When [a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133492-Glu-to-Turn-Off-GameSpy-Multiplayer-Servers-Next-Month-Update]GameSpy finally shutdown[/a] earlier this year, a list of classic games poured forth that would no longer work online. We used it, occasionally cursed it, and never realized that that little green logo powered almost every multiplayer game in the last decade. Thankfully, fans have been picking up the pieces. The Command and Conquer series is the latest to be rescued, thanks to [a href=http://cnc-online.net/]C&C: Online[/a], a new server emulation technology from Revora.

While VPN solutions like [a href=http://www.gameranger.com/]GameRanger[/a] let you play LAN games online as a workaround, C&C: Online simply replaces GameSpy entirely. All you have to do is make an account and load the game through the special launcher. Then, log in with your Revora account information and everything should connect just as it used too. While they currently have the chat and buddy system online, they're hoping to get statistics and rankings up and running soon.

By emulating the servers, this means that Red Alert 3 co-op returns, too. As fun as that game was, I still remember wrangling with the GameSpy login for hours just to play the co-op locally. Due to how it was wired, normal VPN services wouldn't let you play co-op, but C&C Online should. It's also confirmed to work with the Origin versions, as well as any mods you might care to use.

All this comes free of charge, but if you end up using it a lot, you might want to consider donating a bit to keep the servers running. After all, this is the only bit of C&C that we'll have for the foreseeable future, since [a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129133-EA-Nukes-Command-Conquer-Sequel]EA nuked the sequel[/a].

Source: [a href=http://cnc-online.net/]C&C: Online[/a]

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
Am I the only one that's waiting for EA to come in like a wrecking ball and ruin this?

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Dectomax said:
Am I the only one that's waiting for EA to come in like a wrecking ball and ruin this?
The service *IS* called "C&C: Online", which sounds just offical enough that I wouldn't be shocked. Shhh, don't give them any ideas!

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
IanDavis said:
Dectomax said:
The service *IS* called "C&C: Online", which sounds just offical enough that I wouldn't be shocked. Shhh, don't give them any ideas!
Well, they haven't even noticed the full remake of C&C Renegade yet so odds are they won't do anything about this either, at least until people playing to old games threatens the profitability of any new C&C they care to eventually make.

Miles Maldonado

Oct 11, 2011
Johnson McGee said:
IanDavis said:
Dectomax said:
Well, they haven't even noticed the full remake of C&C Renegade yet so odds are they won't do anything about this either, at least until people playing to old games threatens the profitability of any new C&C they care to eventually make.
They've noticed Renegade X and have given it their blessing.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
It's not like I have a massive group of friends to play my C&C games with anyway...

Playing with random people in the past with C&C has taught me never to want to again thanks to one unit spammers and 1 min rushers, it's either of those two options all those years I played from one C&C to another.

I suppose this is cool and all but is this 100% painless to figure out?, can a 5 year old do this as easy as logging into an account?, someone's going to say yes without thinking really hard but I have doubts this is painless.

How I wish RTS games would make a comeback, my favourite genre that's practically dead in the water and has been for some time.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
This has actually been running for awhile now for C&C1 and Red Alert 1, sounds like they've expanded into the other games. Xwis was hosing Tberian Sun and Red Alert 2s online servers. All with EAs blessing.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
RicoADF said:
This has actually been running for awhile now for C&C1 and Red Alert 1, sounds like they've expanded into the other games. Xwis was hosing Tberian Sun and Red Alert 2s online servers. All with EAs blessing.
Eyup, they seem to specialize in EA RTS games, they've got C&C and BFME1/2 that I know of off the top of my head. But no Rise of the Witch-King, which irks me, I rather like WK.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
IanDavis said:
The Command and Conquer series is the latest to be rescued
Generals, C&C 3, Red Alert 3. So not any of the series that anyone actually cared about then.