Bungie Day Announcement Includes Destiny Beta Info and Collector's Editions Details

Blackwell Stith

See You Space Cowboy ...
Jun 28, 2014
Bungie Day Announcement Includes Destiny Beta Info and Collector's Editions Details

On the seventh day of the seventh month, Bungie celebrates its loyal community with new Destiny details.

In celebration for their self-proclaimed holiday, Bungie Studios has revealed some tasty nuggets of knowledge concerning the Destiny Beta and multiple limited editions that will be available upon the game's release.

Playstation users will gain access to the Beta on July 17th, with Xbox users joining later on July 23rd. Maintenance will occur for both consoles from July 21st to July 22nd, and players will have until July 26th to engage in character creation, story missions, cooperative Strikes, competitive Crucible matches, social engagements, and "dance battles".

Bungie has also announced three different collector's editions- a Limited Edition, Digital Guardian Edition, and Ghost Edition.

The Limited Edition will include a Steelbook Case and Game Disc, Guardian Folio (containing "Arms and Armaments" Field Guide, Postcards, and a Star Chart), exclusive digital content, and the Destiny Expansion Pass (which will include access to future story missions, cooperative activities, competitive multiplayer arenas and upcoming weapons, armor and gear to earn).

The Digital Guardian Edition will include a digital download of the game, the same exclusive digital content from the Limited Edition, and access to two upcoming Destiny Expansions.

The Ghost Edition will include a Ghost Replica, Letter of Introduction, Golden Age Relics (a patch, sticker, and two Chrome slides of the Traveler), as well as all of the content found in the Limited Edition.

Bungie has also announced a site-wide upgrade on July 10th that will include new features and services that will better suit players experience Destiny. A new trailer for the Beta has also been released.

Plan on picking up any of the Collector's Editions? Let us know which ones in the comments!

Source: Bungie [http://www.bungie.net/7_Happy-Bungie-Day/en/News/News?aid=11645]

Hdawger

Jun 8, 2010
I am so pumped for this now! I'm also almost more pumped for the site upgrade if it brings it back to pre-2013 update days. Halo's integration into the website was masterfully done with the service record and all the stats, and I hope Destiny gets the same treatment! :D

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Jesus Christ my hype for Destiny has been on and off like... uh... like a celebrity... couple(?) ... Did I do it right?

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Can't wait for the Beta to start. The Alpha was a blast. I'm so digging this game.
Changed my order from the normal edition to the limited since I?m very positive about this game.

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
I'm so upset that a PC release hasn't been confirmed. I've been following this since the first announcement and even though I get excited with each snippet of info, I also get depressed knowing I'm probably not going to get to play it for atleast another year after release...

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
As a careful reminder to anyone considering buying this game.

The developers claim it is "Too Much work" to port a game to the platform with the highest revenue.

Don't expect any updates after the game is launched. That's probably too much work too.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Dectomax said:
I also get depressed knowing I'm probably not going to get to play it for atleast another year after release...
No PC version announced IS insanity... But, just think of all the awfull bugs and ESPECIALLY all of the content patches that will be ready in a years time! Theoretically, you should be able to get tons more content from the get go for the same price, instead of being milked like a bursting cow... :)

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I am a sucker for Collector's Edition no matter how much they drain my wallet. Looks like I am going to be getting the Ghost Edition.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
The Lunatic said:

The developers claim it is "Too Much work" to port a game to the platform with the highest revenue.

Don't expect any updates after the game is launched. That's probably too much work too.
But Destiny is released on PS3 and Xbox 360.

If you talk about PC then you are delusional.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
If you ordered through Amazon seems they added abit more to the pre-order bonus. Should be interesting.

Praetorian13

Oct 17, 2009
I would love to buy the Ghost Edition but here in the UK it's being sold for £150.
It's only going for $150 in the US!!!! $150 = £90. If they drop our price by another £60 then it'll be fair and i'll definitely buy it.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
The Lunatic said:

The original quote was 'Too much work to launch simultaneously', since that would bring it to 5 launches at once, with PC being a bit of a variable with the variety in hardware. But yes yes, let your upset little tantrum run out and make you try spoil it for others.

As for the beta thing, I understand there is a bit of backlash about the Xbox only getting 4 days of beta. Im uh...actually on the other side of this fence. I was super worried about investing too much time in the beta just to restart at launch. Now I will get my quick fix of Destiny the end of July, and then be ready and raring to go in September!

Cant wait.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Elijin said:
The Lunatic said:

The original quote was 'Too much work to launch simultaneously', since that would bring it to 5 launches at once, with PC being a bit of a variable with the variety in hardware. But yes yes, let your upset little tantrum run out and make you try spoil it for others.
Instead of deliberately antagonizing people, why not just ignore them? Now you've stepped on my plums and I've got to get involved.

The issue at hand is that making it for the PS4 and Xbone essentially does a hefty portion of the work that would go into a PC port anyway. Those boxes are essentially PCs with a very restrictive operating system. The rest of it is just adapting for hardware differences. Yes, this takes a bit of testing, but we generally don't expect games to be fully stable at launch anymore anyway. Hell, they aren't stable at launch for consoles half the time and the dev knows exactly what they are working with.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
WouldYouKindly said:
Elijin said:
The Lunatic said:

Instead of deliberately antagonizing people, why not just ignore them? Now you've stepped on my plums and I've got to get involved.

The issue at hand is that making it for the PS4 and Xbone essentially does a hefty portion of the work that would go into a PC port anyway. Those boxes are essentially PCs with a very restrictive operating system. The rest of it is just adapting for hardware differences. Yes, this takes a bit of testing, but we generally don't expect games to be fully stable at launch anymore anyway. Hell, they aren't stable at launch for consoles half the time and the dev knows exactly what they are working with.
You kind of answer your own points. The 4 other platforms are static values, but PC isnt. Adding PC ontop of those 4, is a landslide of work. And we know exactly how forgiving the PC community is about bad or rushed ports. So lets not pretend like there was an out here for Bungie. They get flak for focusing on PC later, or flak for a rushed port. As far as Im concerned they made the best decision they could, dedicate launch to the existing platforms, and allow time to make a decent PC port later.

As for stirring, the original post I quoted is trying to ruin it for others because they're having a tantrum. I did the reacting, more than the stirring.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Ishigami said:
The Lunatic said:

But Destiny is released on PS3 and Xbox 360.

If you talk about PC then you are delusional.
http://hexus.net/gaming/news/industry/69141-global-pc-games-market-revenue-overtakes-consoles/

Nope, cold hard facts.

PC is presently making more revenue globally than all the consoles combined.

Also, in the whole "PC is hardeerrr".

Nope, not any more. New console are using standard X86 architecture, on what is essentially laptop graphics parts from a few years ago.

Nothing special or difficult.

Their engine should even be able to do it with minimal effort. Leaving only the UI to be altered.

If their engine can't do it, you should have serious concerns about the engine.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Elijin said:
It should take as much or more work just to get the game running on the 360 or PS3. They have their strange architectures and a serious lack of resources compared to the average PC and the new consoles. The old generation of consoles comes before PC. By all means, have less platforms on launch but don't tell me that you won't make a PC version available at launch because it's too hard, then proceed to do the coding judo to get a modern game to run on an Xbox 360.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
The Lunatic said:
http://hexus.net/gaming/news/industry/69141-global-pc-games-market-revenue-overtakes-consoles/

Nope, cold hard facts.

PC is presently making more revenue globally than all the consoles combined.

Also, in the whole "PC is hardeerrr".

Nope, not any more. New console are using standard X86 architecture, on what is essentially laptop graphics parts from a few years ago.

Nothing special or difficult.

Their engine should even be able to do it with minimal effort. Leaving only the UI to be altered.

If their engine can't do it, you should have serious concerns about the engine.
This means nothing and you know it.
The only thing that matters is what platform will deliver the most revenue for Destiny and the PC won't.
Just look at other shooters that provide a PC and console version. The PC only accounts for something between 1 to 10% of the revenue in a multiplatform tittle.
Your news only indicates that there are generally more games on PC and MOBA one of the most successful genres in the recent times is ruled by PC alone.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Ishigami said:
This means nothing and you know it.
The only thing that matters is what platform will deliver the most revenue for Destiny and the PC won't.
Just look at other shooters that provide a PC and console version. The PC only accounts for something between 1 to 10% of the revenue in a multiplatform tittle.
Your news only indicates that there are generally more games on PC and MOBA one of the most successful genres in the recent times is ruled by PC alone.
Oh, okay, should we just stop releasing JRPGs for the consoles now because they don't make as much money as CoD does?

That's some interesting logic.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
The Lunatic said:

Huh?

The Limited Edition will include a Steelbook Case and Game Disc, Guardian Folio (containing "Arms and Armaments" Field Guide, Postcards, and a Star Chart), exclusive digital content, and the Destiny Expansion Pass (which will include access to future story missions, cooperative activities, competitive multiplayer arenas and upcoming weapons, armor and gear to earn).

The Digital Guardian Edition will include a digital download of the game, the same exclusive digital content from the Limited Edition, and access to two upcoming Destiny Expansions.
I'm confused. Isn't that a direct contradiction to what was said in the article? About the future expansion packs? Doesn't that count as "updates"? What exactly are you talking about?

Anyway, it sucks this isn't launching on PC as well. From what I've seen of various discussions surrounding this game, there is a lot of interest in it from PC players. I don't see a reason why this shouldn't come to PC as well. Hopefully it does, and soon.