Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword's Fi Joins Hyrule Warriors

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword's Fi Joins Hyrule Warriors

Fi will be a playable character in Hyrule Warriors, and Ghirahim and the Imprisoned will be two enemies in the game.

Fi, the sword spirit of Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is the latest addition to a list of playable characters in Hyrule Warriors, according to a preview of the latest Famitsu issue. Ghirahim and the Imprisoned, also from Skyward Sword will also be a part of Hyrule Warriors as villains.

Previous Hyrule Warriors additions brought in Midna, Zant, and Twilight Princess outfits for Link and Zelda, and now Skyward Sword is getting a lot of Hyrule Warriors love. In addition to the inclusion of Fi, Ghirahim, and the Imprisoned, Link and Zelda will also have alternate costumes from Skyward Sword.

The Famitsu issue also gives a glimpse of a new weapon for Link: a ball and chain weapon similar to the weapon from Twilight Princess. The small scan also shows two images of Zelda fighting, but it's hard to tell whether it's something new.

We'll likely see a video displaying Fi's play style soon. Most recently, Tecmo Koei released Lana. [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeWKSLq1tn0]

Hyrule Warriors launches in Japan on the Wii U on August 14. It will be available in North America on September 26, in Europe on September 19, and in Australia on September 20.

Source: Siliconera [http://www.famitsu.com/news/201407/08056716.html]

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Nice.

Granted, I haven't played Skyward Sword yet but I know of Fi and her(?) reputation. She might be fun. I also like how all of the characters revealed as playable so far have been female, save for Link. It's a nice change to see, is all.

I bet the guys over at Ubisoft are sweating bullets.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Nintendo are really playing with fire here, do they not know how expensive it is to have a female character in a game? Since there are so many in Hyrule Warriors (some of them aren't even white!) it could mean the end of Ninty if the game doesn't sell at least 50 million units.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
regardless of people's fondness (or lack thereof) of Fi as a character
how the ass is she gonna play
she's a passive navigator, unlike midna who does show some fighting capabilities
what is Fi gonna do, throw percentages at them and cause mass annoyance?

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
teh_Canape said:
Exactly.

Think about it, she could antagonize Bokoblins until they explode with her incessant calculations.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
teh_Canape said:
she's a passive navigator, unlike midna who does show some fighting capabilities
She will fight them through the power of interpretive dance.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Oh man, Ubisoft must be having a fit thinking about all the extra resources used on these female characters.

7 playable characters so far and 6 of them are female? Won't somebody think of the children resources?

Anyway, I predict there is a 90% chance that I will not use Fi.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Well seems like there is an 85% chance that I won't be playing as her. One of my major gripes with Skyward Sword was how annoying and useless Fi was when compared to previous helpers for Link. She stated the obvious constantly, and really was a flat character, which was sad because Midna was an excellent character who changed over the course of the story.

That and I question what she'll do since she sorta has no arms...

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
While I think Fi as a character was flat, dull, annoying, superfluous, had too much focus, had an annoying voice, states the painfully obvious painfully often, has a really anime-ish and unfitting design, and is nothing compared to the other companions, I can see her fighting. She's basically a robot that can turn into a sword. Just at a guess, she might have a move set similar to Nu 13 or Final Form Sora.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Close examination shows that Zelda appears to be wielding a conductor's baton that controls wind. You see where I'm going with this.

teh_Canape said:
People were also wondering how Agitha was going to fight. Plus if you look closely in the scans (small as they are) there are a couple shots of Fi wielding the Sacred Flames that Link used to temper the Goddess Sword as well as Fi turning into the Goddess Sword to cause a huge AOE attack. My guess is that she'll be like Agitha or Lana, a sorceress character that fights at mid-range to long-range with AOE spells.

Anyway, nice to see some Skyward Sword representation. Still interesting to see the team focusing so much on the female characters (even if Fi is more of an "it") as aside from Link there have been no playable male characters shown (though it's possible the villains like Valga, Wizzro, and Zant could be playable). Though the more I think about it the more I realize there are lot more iconic and beloved WOMEN in the series than MEN.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Oh great, she is going to bored the enemies to death due to her repeatitive info that they already know! Come on! If Fi is in, Groose better be in Hyrule Warrior aswell!

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, Fi was one of the worst parts of Skyward Sword. Shes soooo boooooooring, anyone who was annoyed by Navi had to be 100 times as annoyed by Fi.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
As the only person (or so it seems) who likes Fi, There's but one thing I can say: Cool.

Now we need the Postman, and my life will be complete

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
Oh great, she is going to bored the enemiesto death due to her repeatitive info that they already know! Come on! If Fi is in, Groose better be in Hyrule Warrior aswell!
My Groose must be set lose. If not, I don't know what I'll think of Hyrule Warriors! >.<
I mean, Groose not being in something like this would be like Captain Falcon not being in Smash Bros... *remembers that Falcon hasn't been announced yet and goes into corner to sulk*

DaViller

Sep 3, 2013
Fii announcement instead of a badass goron chieftain who punches stuff? My hype for this game is significantly decreasing(and it wasn´t that big to begin with).

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
I am liking all the female characters... but would be more hype to see a Goron or Zora playable as well. There are some more interesting character options than Agitha and Fi is all I'm saying, Nabooru with her giant ass sword, 'Phantom' Zelda who's basically an Iron Knuckle.

Basically, regardless of how much we all like there being a female heavy roster, if NAVI gets a place before GROOSE, we have a problem.

The Goat Tsar

Mar 17, 2010
So we get annoying Fi and not Groose, the true Hero of the Legend of Zelda? I need my Groose, Nintendo, don't disappoint me...

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Gearhead mk2 said:
While I think Fi as a character was flat, dull, annoying, superfluous, had too much focus, had an annoying voice, states the painfully obvious painfully often, has a really anime-ish and unfitting design, and is nothing compared to the other companions, I can see her fighting. She's basically a robot that can turn into a sword. Just at a guess, she might have a move set similar to Nu 13 or Final Form Sora.
my joke aside, for some reason I picture that she would fight like the ghost swordmaster in twilight princess
basically, a spirit swinging a big-ass sword
that'd be cool and somewhat fitting given that she's basically a living sword

Sould1n

Jan 23, 2011
As someone who does like Fi (and I'm happy to see at least a couple of other people here like her as well), this has made me very happy. In fact, this is definitely my favourite character inclusion for Hyrule Warriors so far. The others have been interesting and unique additions, but Fi is the first among the characters I wanted playable in the game that have been confirmed.

I've heard Zant and Ghirahim are going to be in the game, but no word on them being playable yet. Hopefully villains will be playable, and in such a case, I'm hoping mostly for Vaati. Overall though, the character roster is shaping up nicely, and I shall sit back and wait for the announcement of my most wanted character... Tingle. The reactions to his inclusion (if he is included, which I'm hopeful he will be) will be oh so hilarious.