Transformers Writer to Script Disney's Live-Action Dumbo

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Transformers Writer to Script Disney's Live-Action Dumbo

I be done seen about everything...

For the last few years screenwriter Ehren Kruger has mainly been associated with scripting Transformers sequels for Michael Bay, but now he's moving on to a different animated franchise: He's been tapped to pen the live-action Dumbo remake for Disney.

Originally developed as a simpler "safe bet" project by the Mouse House in 1941 to help recoup losses from the financial disappointment of Fantasia, Dumbo is regarded today as one of early Disney's most popular but also most unusual films. Set in and around a traveling circus, the titular main character is a baby elephant ostracized by the other animals for having been born with abnormally large ears. When his mother is jailed for rampaging while defending Dumbo from abuse, he makes friends with a talking mouse who helps him discover a surprising talent: His ears can be used as wings, enabling him to fly.

Live-action updates of animated classics have proved to be a bonanza for Disney, with Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland becoming a billion dollar worldwide hit a few years back in 2010 and Maleficent already a $600 million smash this Summer. Next year will see the release of Kenneth Branagh's Cinderella, and Bill Condon is signed to Beauty & The Beast after that. Meanwhile, since Disney doesn't technically own most of the public-domain stories its biggest animated hits were based on, other studios are mobilizing to beat them to the punch with live-action updates of their own - Universal Pictures is in pre-production on a version of The Little Mermaid with Sofia Coppola directing.

Source: THR [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/live-action-dumbo-works-transformers-717074]

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Jesus fucking christ, this is going to be even worse than the Brazilian football team is right now.

[small]Zing. How about that for topical, eh?[/small]

Somethingfake

Oct 22, 2008
TheRightToArmBears said:
Jesus fucking christ, this is going to be even worse than the Brazilian football team is right now.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang Not sure the film will be as bad as that!

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Sometimes when I watch a really good movie I wonder why Hollywood gets so much flak for existing. Then I hear things like this and question why I ever ask myself that question.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Oh fuck off. I'm embarrassed by Hollywood, even though I have no part in any of these terrible ideas.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
*gets popcorn*

This is gonna be pretty. Anyone want some? I have plenty.

On the plus side Transformers 5 might get a decent writer for once :D

Jupiter065

Aug 12, 2008
"Dumbo, it is your destiny." said the Great Pink Elephant. "Your courage will save this world."

And then I'll roll my eyes so far back in my head I'll be able to see my brain cells dying.

Slegiar Dryke

Dec 10, 2013
oh for crying out loud, this is insane.......maleficent at least had some bit of cool concept and a setting that worked well with the whole CG magical effects and stuff...............this..............THIS...........WAT!!!!....... are they even gonna have wires strong enough to hold the elephant?! XP

BigTuk said:
geeze.. Walts Spinning corpse is probably powering disney land .
so THAT'S their secret, they've discovered the perpetual motion generator! GENIUS!!!!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Oh come on! Do they really need to remake that classic! I betting right now that the remake will removed the drunk scene too!!!

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
TheRightToArmBears said:

Uf... That's cold mate.

OT: I barely understand live-action superhero adaptations, this might as well be Cthulhu for all the incomprehensibility it entails.

vid87

May 17, 2010
I'm never completely of the mind that live-action adaptation is automatically a bad thing, but this is officially when I say we've gone overboard, and I don't just mean by the wild mismatch between screenwriter and content.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Just because you can do live action remakes of classic films, Disney, doesn't mean you should. -_- Also, can we not give the hack writers from the Transformers movies anymore work. I'd say they're more qualified to be flipping burgers than writings scripts, but they might fuck that up as well.

chaser5000

Sep 11, 2012
Mr. Q said:
Just because you can do live action remakes of classic films, Disney, doesn't mean you should. -_- Also, can we not give the hack writers from the Transformers movies anymore work. I'd say they're more qualified to be flipping burgers than writings scripts, but they might fuck that up as well.
Yet the Transformers movies make butt tons of money, and producers care about making money not good movies.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
chaser5000 said:
Mr. Q said:
Yet the Transformers movies make butt tons of money, and producers care about making money not good movies.
Just because something is popular doesn't mean its always going to be good. There's a reason why Andrew "Dice" Clay (look it up) is no longer the big name in comedy. And yes, most people in Hollywood care more about making a profit than making quality films but I applaud the rare few that rise above that and put some heart into their movies rather than the coin-operated robots that churn out shit.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
chaser5000 said:
Mr. Q said:
Entropy in action.
It's for this reason that I stopped trying to be impartial and defend the silent masses.
It's the same reason I cannot even get interested in going to the movies anymore.

I only saw about 10 movies in the last two years, and all but 2 of them were either awful, or just bland Hackywood paste.
(of course, 2013 was apparently a baaaaaaad year for movies as a whole)

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
What? They're remaking Dumbo? And it's going to be a live action-CGI Hybrid? And it's going to be written by the guy that writes the Transformer Movies?

Well, this is going to be terrible... Well, as long as this versions Pink Elephants is good (And the song not screwed over), I'm sure it'll at least be fun...

I'm still waiting for more news on the Brave Little Toaster Remake.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Oh fucking god damn shit ass fantastic! Because I WAS JUST THINKING that dumbo would be so much fucking better with John Turturro in a jock strap!

Fuck you hollywood! Fuck you! Do you just hate childhood memories? What is it about you? What fucking drugs are you taking up there? Do you have cocaine just shipped in by the truckload? That's the only way I can explain this... fucking war crime.

Captcha: CIVIL WAR (yes, it is all caps)

How appropriate.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Wait...a WHAT?! A live action remake of...Dumbo?... Why? wuh....oooooh this is stuuuupid.

Are they hoping this is going to be the next Babe or something?

There better be god damn Pink Elephants!