1930s Styled Game Cuphead Likely A Trilogy

Esmeralda Portillo

Jun 16, 2014
1930s Styled Game Cuphead Likely A Trilogy

Indie game Cuphead will be released as a trilogy, of sorts.

Cuphead is quite the unique game: a 2D shooter with a hint of jazz and animations hand-drawn in the style of 1930s cartoons. The protagonist, as you can guess, is a figure with a cup for a head who must battle evil flowers and mean bats. That's about all we knew about the game when it was announced at this year's E3 during the Microsoft press conference.

New information has surfaced about Cuphead and its two-person development team at StudioMDHR. Brothers Chad and Jared Moldenhauer have been working on the game since 2010. They have a unique approach to the development of the game where they work on the artwork first, which is about 40% complete, to then use that material to create the battling mechanics.

Despite being less than halfway done with the game, the developers have plans to create expansion packs that build off the first game to then create a trilogy, of sorts. Other interesting facts about the game is that it will consist of only boss battles, and that the protagonist is trying to pay off his gambling debt to the Devil.

The game is set to release sometime in 2015 on PC and Xbox One.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Only boss battles?, so, this is basically like Alien Soldier for the Genesis, but with a 30's art style.
And less crazy (no one's as crazy as Treasure... maybe Platinum Games)

I like it :)

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Boss battles are generally the most fun and creative part of a game anyway, so I don't see why more games haven't adopted this idea before.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
I like this. I like this A lot. (Probably because I'm a sucker for American Animation, including 30's style Animation.) I might get it if it comes on Steam.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
I'd love to play this, but that Devil just gives me the creeps WAY too much. BTW the artwork looks amazing.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Olas said:
Boss battles are generally the most fun and creative part of a game anyway, so I don't see why more games haven't adopted this idea before.
Treasure did a lot of this stuff back in the day, but they're not as prolific as they used to be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasure_%28company%29