Games Are the "Truth That We Want To Exist"

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005

No, of course games aren't reality; everybody should know that. But on some level, we wish they were - and that's how immersion works.

Back in October 2005, satirist comedian Stephen Colbert coined the word "truthiness [http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/24039/october-17-2005/the-word---truthiness]" - meant to poke fun at the actions of the government. Yet on another level, this concept of "truthiness" - that is, the things that we want to be true rather than what we know to be true - is very similar to the narratologists' idea of "verisimilitude": "fiction's ability to maintain the façade of reality."

And, as Robert Buerkle argues in Issue 215 of The Escapist, this term underlines what separates games (and art) from pure fact, and is one of the reasons why many of us find these fictional spaces to be so compelling. It's why we'll suspend our disbelief and pretend that matching the timing of a few strikes of a blacksmiths' hammer in Fable II is the equivalent of a hard day's work:

[blockquote]Monopoly is hardly an edge case, as countless games perform similar tasks. Operation simulates surgery; Clue simulates a murder investigation; Mall Madness simulates ... umm, shopping. Risk simulates global warfare; Battleship, naval warfare; chess, medieval warfare. Life, Assassin, Mafia, Settlers of Catan - each of these provides an abstract, though relatively straightforward, representation of some scenario. Even games without such deliberate contexts still provide metaphorical enactments of human actions. Poker, for example, hinges on economic conflict, reliant on prudent wagering and chip acquisition. Most team sports are, in the end, highly abstracted campaigns of territorial conflict. And as WarGames taught us, even Tic-Tac-Toe can ultimately be used as a proxy for global thermonuclear war. (Thank you, Matthew Broderick).[/blockquote]

So, we live - and play - in this world, and accept that Fable 2 isn't just telling us a fairy tale, "rather, it simulates the experience of living through one." In a word, we believe in its "truthiness." To read the entire article, check out "The Truthiness of Simulation" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_215/6392-The-Truthiness-of-Simulation] in Issue 215 of The Escapist.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
I can't overstate how true it is, really.

At least with RPGs. Wish I had something better to say than "Yeah, on some level, you're right."

Something about an unexplored world, one where not every continent is mapped out and covered by GPS, one where warfare isn't conducted by a few button presses and ICBMs, one where an epic adventure wouldn't just be a waste of time and money, and one where I could actually make a difference...

Something about that strikes me as pretty attractive.

Uncompetative

Jul 2, 2008
Well it is perfectly acceptable that games should embody some refracted truth if they are to aspire to art, or at least comment on culture.

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
I started playing games kinda young, so any game that I thought was cool I wanted to be in the game. I wanted to be Master Chief so badly, oh and Spiderman. LOL!

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Wait, I really want blue hair and to be a failure in the one thing that matters in the world?
Nah.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
I'm compelled in many ways. There's just something about pulling off sword combos in God of War and Devil May Cry that gently rubs parts of my brain.

Enai Siaion

Aug 19, 2009
Valiance said:
At least with RPGs. Wish I had something better to say than "Yeah, on some level, you're right." Something about an unexplored world, one where not every continent is mapped out and covered by GPS, one where warfare isn't conducted by a few button presses and ICBMs, one where an epic adventure wouldn't just be a waste of time and money, and one where I could actually make a difference... Something about that strikes me as pretty attractive.
Indeed. Especially because the actual gameplay of an RPG is pretty nonexistent, but you get to blow up orcs with magic spells!

Auto Assault failed, probably at least partly because you're a car. EVE has taken a lot of hurt for not having player avatars. Not surprising, is it? There are very few futuristic RPGs and those that do exist are often franchise based (of which the most popular franchise happens to be 'paladins with light swords in space'). It is hard to be the hero in an universe with orbital bombardments and antimatter tanks...

This article has a pretty Western slant, though. In the East, people play RPGs to beat the hell out of other people who paid less in the cash shop and thereby boast about their riches. It doesn't matter what your character looks like there.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009

My list of totally retarded quotation extents.

Sure there is the aspect of TELLING A STORY that maintains a 'believable' aspect of the reality we experience. GAMES are made up so that everything works out nicely.
Real life is hard work, socially, so some escapism is unavoidable but

I DEFINTATELY do not want ANY of the Games I have ever played to be real. I want to be entertainted!
And if anybody mistakes entertainment for real life you have a big problem -

all you WANNABE Gangsters and Heros.

I guess it´s the days we´re in: while 2 thirds of the world is FIGHTING for survival from hunger and terror to make a living in THIS world, the remaing people already beam themselves up to their on private Avalon.

How pervert.