Marvel Will Make "Exclusive Announcement" on ABC's The View Tuesday

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Marvel Will Make "Exclusive Announcement" on ABC's The View Tuesday

Superhero factory will announce "all new thundering title" on daytime talk show

Developing: Marvel has issued a cryptic press release stating that the company will be making a major announcement on the Tuesday, July 15 episode of ABC's The View, the all-female daytime talk show moderated by Whoopi Goldberg.

The bare-bones press release, which refers only to a "thundering new title," has already touched off a wave of conjecture among fandom and the entertainment press on social media (which was almost-certainly the point) as to what, exactly, the announcement might be. Though it airs on ABC and is thus related to Marvel through parent company Disney, The View, is not typically considered an outlet for announcing comics properties - though it was the venue Marvel used to reveal the wedding of Northstar and his boyfriend Kyle back in 2012. [http://www.themarysue.com/view-announces-marvel-marriage/]

Many are guessing that, as The View targets an audience primarily of adult women, the "thundering" reveal in question will be the long-rumored Ms. Marvel movie; particularly since "thundering" seems to be a clue and Ms. Marvel has frequently sported a lightning-bolt symbol on her uniforms. However, the use of the word "title" also means it could easily be the announcement of a new comic book - though a solo series featuring Marvel's most "thundering" female character, Storm, was already announced back in May. [http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=52542] It's also entirely possible that "title" could simply refer to the sub-title of the announced but yet-unnamed Thor 3.

The View airs weekdays on ABC from 11:00am to 12:00pm EST. It has not been specified at what point in the show or under what circumstances the "thundering announcement" will be made.

Sources: Zap2it [http://www.themarysue.com/marvel-the-view-2014/]

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
If the only way to hear this news is to watch The View, I'll stay blissfully in the dark thank you.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
They are obviously debut a new character, Thunder-Thighs McCullen. The first fat female super hero. When she runs and jumps her fat thigh smash together creating sub-sonic blasts. She struggles with her weight as is it slightly unhealthy, the oblivious societal image issue but her boy friend likes fatties and her power is based around her size. So it is tackling all of that, which is perfect for the view.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Avaholic03 said:
If the only way to hear this news is to watch The View, I'll stay blissfully in the dark thank you.
I cant imagine that youll stay ignorant of the fallout from the announcement for long.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Adam Jensen said:
I guess it's too much to hope for a Black Widow movie :(
It is. As much as we'd all like to see one, we have to face the fact that it's just not happening because of the money issue.

It's the fault of shortsightedness really, as good as the casting was they shouldn't have given a big name actress a role as a character who doesn't use a mask. Although I won't put my money on anyone in particular, expect them to be a heroin who wears a mask, and the actress to be one who isn't that well known.

Jupiter065

Aug 12, 2008
It would probably be too much to ask for a movie to be based on the most recent Ms. Marvel (a.k.a. Kamala Khan), but hey, a superhero movie with a female lead is progress I suppose.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Adam Jensen said:
Just watch Captain America: The Winter Soldier while imagining the title is Black Widow. XD She owns that movie more than either of the title characters.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Zontar said:
Adam Jensen said:
It is. As much as we'd all like to see one, we have to face the fact that it's just not happening because of the money issue.

It's the fault of shortsightedness really, as good as the casting was they shouldn't have given a big name actress a role as a character who doesn't use a mask. Although I won't put my money on anyone in particular, expect them to be a heroin who wears a mask, and the actress to be one who isn't that well known.
She wasn't that big of a name prior to her Marvel involvement. She was pretty famous, unfortunately mostly because of her looks. As an actress she was mostly cast in smaller indie/artsy movies. Which is why I like her. I was surprised when it was announced that she would be the Black Widow in the biggest summer blockbuster. Positively surprised because I expected someone like Angelina Jolie or Charlize Theron. They had a few action movies under their belt already.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Adam Jensen said:
Positively surprised because I expected someone like Angelina Jolie or Charlize Theron. They had a few action movies under their belt already.
Oh god, if that had been the case I don't think we would have seen the character again outside of Avengers movies.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
I'm going out on a limb here. When they use the word "Thundering", I think of Thor. The recent reveal in the Marvel universe is that Thor has a sister. Since this is a show that appeals to adult women, I guessing the "thundering announcement" will be about Angela.

Jupiter065

Aug 12, 2008
After doing a bit of digging, it turns out that Whoopi Goldberg was shopping around her own comic pitch at last year's NYCC [http://comicsalliance.com/whoopi-goldberg-dan-didio-joe-quesada-nycc-2013-marvel-dc/].
Given that they mention "title" which is rarely used to describe a movie, I'd bet they're announcing making Goldberg's comic.

She explains, "I was pitching a comic book that I'm hoping to do... I've been a comic book kid all of my life. One of those things you don't see is... comic book heroes, female, with any hips, you don't see them over 12 years old, maybe something sagging a little, nothing is ever moving. So I'm working on something that will alleviate that...

"It will be me (as a superhero)... I do look like a comic book hero and I love that."

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I hope it's She-Thor. Some kind of hellish abomination borne from a drunk encounter between Thor and Hulk by way of Loki's mischief. I'd settle for Beta Ray Bill.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Avaholic03 said:
Yeah! I may find out late, but I'll find out as soon as twitter does! Or the online media collective/cult that follows Marvel executives to the bathroom! It may take a whole 4 seconds, but not to have to hear it come from Whoopy, those 4 seconds are worth it.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Avaholic03 said:
Considering some of the things I have seen from The View, I'm with you.

Plus, it just seems weird to announce anything comic book related on The View. Which makes me worry that it could be something rather underwhelming.

vid87

May 17, 2010
I say it has something to do with Thundra - they never specifically said it was about the movies...unless she will be?

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
CriticalMiss said:
I hope it's She-Thor. Some kind of hellish abomination borne from a drunk encounter between Thor and Hulk by way of Loki's mischief. I'd settle for Beta Ray Bill.
Hear you were right. It is she-thor

JPArbiter

Oct 14, 2010
I hope it is Ms Marvel, but a Time Article I read at lunch today it might be Thor as Woman, but still called Thor.