Legend of Korra Review: From Ba Sing Se to Zaofu

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
Legend of Korra Review: From Ba Sing Se to Zaofu

This week's episodes are a mixed bag, with one thumbs up and one thumbs down.

Read Full Article

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
For my part I like in Harms Way more than Metal Clan, probably because Harms Way has a story payoff and Metal Clan is almost all setup.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
To my suprised, I actually liked an LoK episode so far which is of cource is The Metal Clan. Yeah I do gotta agreed that Harm Way did kinda felt like a filler althought I'm pretty sure we will see the Earth Queen again in the future (I betting on that she team up and get double crossed by Zaheer).

The one thing I would like to know about the metal city is that do they have waterbenders to drain off the rainwater? Otherwise the city will rust!

I don't know why but I too am in loved with Opal despite having a plain name among the usual Asain/ cultural like names they have so far (yes I know opal is a gemstone so it is fitting). She got a cute/ innocent endearing vibe coming off from her. Her apperance does remind me of Toph except her blindness and hairstyle. Still I have a feeling she was created to be Bolin love interest only (it did annoyed me that he tried to take advantage of her by trying to put on a cool guy to flirt with her). Stilll I really hoping she joined Team Avatar (most likely as she sound like she want to explored the world which her mother can relate to).

I was unxpected to see Varrick to be back so soon and while it make sense to be there but I thought he would of continue to do some shady dealing in some other underworld (so he pretty much going to invent the bullet train due to his transport and magnet idea?).

Zaheer infiltration plan would of worked if he didn't show off too much in his airbending skill and knowledge of the Air Normad. That remind me, his Earth bending ally getting awkward with his kissing with his long lost fire bending girlfriend crack me up!!!

Lastly the family fued. I read some Youtube comments that some people are against Korra for meddling in Lin family affair which I guess is true (the Avatar is suppose to bring balance in the world like the Earth Queen reign over her citizen not family relationship) but I for once agreed with Korra (to my suprised againn) to try to fixed it. Likewise I too am against Lin which is somewhat hypocrite coming from me (but my relationship with my bro is nowhere near that hateful!) but anyway I'm now wondering what the writers will pulled off once she tell her side of the story to get us to side with her once again (maybe her sister does hold some secret and not as awesome as we thought her to be)?

One last thing, can they get their bloody fact straight! First it was reveal that Zuko is alived and now Toph (yes is is bloody awesome to hear) is still alived and kicking (make sense since I was under the impression that Earth benders do lived longer like eg King Bumi) but that viery first episode with Katara told her time has passed (mentioning her brother is gone) imply that she was the only one still alived out of Team Avatar. Maybe she had gotten senile.

Mike Hoffman

Sep 25, 2013
Scarim Coral said:
I feel like the family resemblance with Souyin and Opal to Toph is much greater than with Lin. As far as Bolin's little stunt, it was pretty basic and boring "conflict" but it got the point across that Opal isn't submissive, even if she is quiet and sweet.

I did get the impression that everyone was dead early in LoK, but after reviewing the Avatar wiki a couple weeks ago I saw that only Sokka and Aang had been confirmed to have died. And I could be mistaken but I think Zuko being alive was mentioned off-hand in Book One of Korra. Otherwise, Toph and Suki were still open for the writers to decide. And now Suki is the only one left with a big question mark.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
Scarim Coral said:
To my suprised, I actually liked an LoK episode so far which is of cource is The Metal Clan. Yeah I do gotta agreed that Harm Way did kinda felt like a filler althought I'm pretty sure we will see the Earth Queen again in the future (I betting on that she team up and get double crossed by Zaheer).

The one thing I would like to know about the metal city is that do they have waterbenders to drain off the rainwater? Otherwise the city will rust!

I don't know why but I too am in loved with Opal despite having a plain name among the usual Asain/ cultural like names they have so far (yes I know opal is a gemstone so it is fitting). She got a cute/ innocent endearing vibe coming off from her. Her apperance does remind me of Toph except her blindness and hairstyle. Still I have a feeling she was created to be Bolin love interest only (it did annoyed me that he tried to take advantage of her by trying to put on a cool guy to flirt with her). Stilll I really hoping she joined Team Avatar (most likely as she sound like she want to explored the world which her mother can relate to).

I was unxpected to see Varrick to be back so soon and while it make sense to be there but I thought he would of continue to do some shady dealing in some other underworld (so he pretty much going to invent the bullet train due to his transport and magnet idea?).

Zaheer infiltration plan would of worked if he didn't show off too much in his airbending skill and knowledge of the Air Normad. That remind me, his Earth bending ally getting awkward with his kissing with his long lost fire bending girlfriend crack me up!!!

Lastly the family fued. I read some Youtube comments that some people are against Korra for meddling in Lin family affair which I guess is true (the Avatar is suppose to bring balance in the world like the Earth Queen reign over her citizen not family relationship) but I for once agreed with Korra (to my suprised againn) to try to fixed it. Likewise I too am against Lin which is somewhat hypocrite coming from me (but my relationship with my bro is nowhere near that hateful!) but anyway I'm now wondering what the writers will pulled off once she tell her side of the story to get us to side with her once again (maybe her sister does hold some secret and not as awesome as we thought her to be)?

One last thing, can they get their bloody fact straight! First it was reveal that Zuko is alived and now Toph (yes is is bloody awesome to hear) is still alived and kicking (make sense since I was under the impression that Earth benders do lived longer like eg King Bumi) but that viery first episode with Katara told her time has passed (mentioning her brother is gone) imply that she was the only one still alived out of Team Avatar. Maybe she had gotten senile.

Magnet's would lead to Maglev trains, Bullet trains are just normal trains designed to be aerodynamic rather than the more normal blunt nose types we get in the west.

Katara just says many of her friends are gone which would include many of the adult characters of the original series.

Though I still want to know if Suki, Mai, Ty Lee and Azula are alive or dead because out of the original series there's only 9 characters I want to know about and so far it's 2 confirmed to have passed with 2 alive and 1 probably.

Still disappointed with the bad guy reveal that they only attempted to abduct Korra, was hoping the 4 of the were responsible for killing Aang to increase the drama.

Still poor Aang the first to die of team avatar even though he's the youngest.

Mike Hoffman

Sep 25, 2013
youji itami said:
Though I still want to know if Suki, Mai, Ty Lee and Azula are alive or dead because out of the original series there's only 9 characters I want to know about and so far it's 2 confirmed to have passed with 2 alive and 1 probably.

Still disappointed with the bad guy reveal that they only attempted to abduct Korra, was hoping the 4 of the were responsible for killing Aang to increase the drama.
Oh god Azula. She seriously terrified me. I've said this before, but I saw someone cosplaying as her at Animazement and I was too scared to ask for a picture. After passing her a number of times I mentioned that and she just replied, "Good," and that did not help with my fear. Still, it's cool that her voice actress (Grey DeLisle) is back as Ming-Hua (the waterbender with no arms). tl;dr - I would love and fear Azula's return.

We are definitely going to get more background on Zaheer's gang. The whole "Why go after the Avatar" is being pushed too hard as a mystery. If they killed Aang, it would definitely add some drama, but then it's just another version of "You killed my master."

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Mike Hoffman said:
youji itami said:

Oh god Azula. She seriously terrified me. I've said this before, but I saw someone cosplaying as her at Animazement and I was too scared to ask for a picture. After passing her a number of times I mentioned that and she just replied, "Good," and that did not help with my fear. Still, it's cool that her voice actress (Grey DeLisle) is back as Ming-Hua (the waterbender with no arms). tl;dr - I would love and fear Azula's return.

We are definitely going to get more background on Zaheer's gang. The whole "Why go after the Avatar" is being pushed too hard as a mystery. If they killed Aang, it would definitely add some drama, but then it's just another version of "You killed my master."
Azula fate and the whereabout of their mother has been reveal in one of the books that set inbetween Legend of Aang and Korra. I won't go into details.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
youji itami said:
Still poor Aang the first to die of team avatar even though he's the youngest.
I cant remember where exactly I saw it, but I'm sure I saw it mentioned that Aangs young death arose from complications from being frozen (either the freezing itself, or the 100 years he was under), with benders noted to have longer lives than non benders (kiyoshi is stated to have been 200 years old when she died).

So, ignoring unnatural causes, Azula is probably alive, Suki Mai and Ty lee probably not.

Anyway, really enjoyed both episodes, and some great character moments. And yeah, I'm joining the Opal Fan Club... she's so adorable, and I loved her airbending with Korra, and they way she shut down Bolin Tha Playa. They make a cute couple, but seeing someone call them Bopal conjured up the Bhopal disaster for me, so maybe not a good sign (laughs).

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
BIGGEST SURPRISE OF THE NEW BOOK??????????????
KORRA MATURED!

I mean, seriously!
She, knock-on-wood, hasn't been this insanely annoying brat thus far.

Hopefully the writers FINALLY figured out that 'being a *****' isn't the same as 'being deep'.
It sucks when THE LEADING LADY is someone I wish would die like a red shirt.